Preeclampsia recurrence rate - new here

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
deerhart

Re : Preeclampsia recurrence rate - new here

Postby deerhart » Wed Mar 10, 2004 06:46 pm

If you have had it more then once, it is more likely then not that there is an underlying condition that is helping to cause the PE. Thus, the chance of reoccurance is much much higher.
I have had PIH in both my pregnancies and they did find an underlying condition after my second pregnancy. The doc's basically tell me its a 75-90% chance of reoccuring again without treatment in any other pregnancies but not sure what the stastics would be with treatment.

With 2 occurances behind you, I would plan for reoccurance in any future pregnancies.

Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex and Mason

akemt

Postby akemt » Wed Mar 10, 2004 05:55 pm

I agree with Julie about getting a preconception consult with a perinatologist. They can do certain testing to see if you have an autoimmune disorder or clotting disorder that might predispose you to preeclampsia (they are also the same tests ran for those who've had multiple miscarriages, fyi).

And, 15% is the standard answer for anyone who has had preeclampsia in the past. In my opinion, if you've had it twice, it should be more likely that you'll get it again...not the same. But, I'm no doctor and who really knows anyway? There are women on here who've had it and then not had it, and then had it again. It's very unpredictable.

I am so sorry for the loss of your daughter, Faith. What a great name for her to have. I'm sure you are struggling with all kinds of emotions and fears at this point but I know you will be able to get through it. My biggest suggestion is to try to stay close as a family; don't let this become a barrier and drive you apart. People all experience grief in different ways and sometimes that is hard to understand. Be patient with yourself as well...healing takes time.

I pray that you will be able to feel peace and comfort even in the midst of these struggles.

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004

julie f

Postby julie f » Wed Mar 10, 2004 03:38 pm

Jill,

I am so very sorry for the loss of your precious daughter. There are just no words I know but, I wanted to offer some support and the knowledge that you are not alone. You will find so much support, encouragement and information here, I am glad you have found us.

Here is a link from the "Ask the Experts" section regarding recurrence rates. http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=331

One thing that was very helpful to me and my husband was to have a consultation (actually several...) with a perinatologist to discuss next steps. I was tested for various predispositions and was also given a little bit clearer picture of how my next pregnancy would be followed.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you and your family at this time.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator

for faith

Preeclampsia recurrence rate - new here

Postby for faith » Wed Mar 10, 2004 02:37 pm

Hi - I am new here and wanted to ask you all a common question and wanted your opinions:

I had high blood pressure with my son (he is almost 4), which came on about 31 weeks, I had the steriod injections, staying overnight in the hospital. He was born at 36 1/2 weeks (7lbs., 3 ozs.). I had a miscarriage at 11 weeks in January 2003. Then had my daughter at 30 weeks on 1/5/04. At about 26-27 weeks my blood pressure was getting high, my dr. put me on disability at 29 weeks and I went in for a check-up at 30 weeks and never left the hospital. I was given the steriod shots, magnesium and had blood drawn constantly for 2 days, when it was decided she would be delivered c-section. Faith lived for 25 days, she became sick with NEC (an intestinal premie complication) and had 3 surgeries. She fought very hard, but was too sick to make it.

We haven't decided if we want to try again, as the pain of the loss is so immense, but I want to know my odds of having preeclampsia again. My dr. says about 15%, but that seems low to me. What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

Jill
mommy to:
Tyler - almost 4
Angel - January 2003 (11 weeks)
Faith Kristine - 1/5/04-1/30/04 (born at 30 weeks due to severe preeclampsia, passed due to NEC (intestinal premie complication))

Return to “Ask the Experienced”