Advanced Maternal Age?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
aundapenner

Re : Advanced Maternal Age?

Postby aundapenner » Tue Oct 30, 2007 07:16 am

Judy,

You're on #11??? Wow!!!

I find this post interesting. I was 31 when Henry was born and we're considering another. If all goes well, and practice makes perfect ;), I'll be 34.

DH and I both come from families of 3. We know that if we have one more, we'll be having at least one more after that.

It's very encouraging to know that age really doesn't seem to be a factor in your decisions here, rather it is based on the desire to have another. (And that is very helpful in confirming my decision to TTC.)

onesock

Postby onesock » Tue Oct 30, 2007 00:07 am

I am 36 and working on #3...advanced maternal age...pffffttt! We are just experienced mature women :)

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Mon Oct 29, 2007 07:40 pm

What she said! My first was at 24. My second was at 31. My next hopefully will be at 34. As I have gotten older, I have become more experienced, not afraid to ask questions, and had more resources.

quote:Originally posted by MNmom

Let's come up with a new term[:)] I turned 20 yrs old four days before my first was born. I had my last a couple months before I turned 40. And yes, he is the last for this advanced mama. The joy of a new family member at any age is incredible. My two "experienced" mommy pregnancies were definately more difficult in some ways, but I had so many more resources and experiences to handle it. My advice would be to make sure that you have a wonderful ob on board. I was seen every two weeks pretty quickly, and weekly the last tri, along with many nst, pokes and little brown jugs. Maybe overkill, but it made me feel comfortable. And he really listened to me. He joked that I had much more experience than he did.

I have never once had an ounce of regret for having just one more.....good luck with your decision! Oh, and two or three years is probaby a better space then 15 years.....although I avoided sibling rivalry with those two.....

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Oct 29, 2007 05:06 pm

experts defined advanced maternal age as 40+. I'd always heard 35+, but I'll go w/ the new number. Made me feel a little younger.
Whoo hoo! I'm all for this! Makes me not AMA anymore! :)

lgw

Postby lgw » Mon Oct 29, 2007 05:00 pm

Tracey:
At the pree update that was held the morning of Saving Grace, experts defined advanced maternal age as 40+. I'd always heard 35+, but I'll go w/ the new number. Made me feel a little younger.
Leslie

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Mon Oct 29, 2007 04:36 pm

Let's come up with a new term[:)] I turned 20 yrs old four days before my first was born. I had my last a couple months before I turned 40. And yes, he is the last for this advanced mama. The joy of a new family member at any age is incredible. My two "experienced" mommy pregnancies were definately more difficult in some ways, but I had so many more resources and experiences to handle it. My advice would be to make sure that you have a wonderful ob on board. I was seen every two weeks pretty quickly, and weekly the last tri, along with many nst, pokes and little brown jugs. Maybe overkill, but it made me feel comfortable. And he really listened to me. He joked that I had much more experience than he did.

I have never once had an ounce of regret for having just one more.....good luck with your decision! Oh, and two or three years is probaby a better space then 15 years.....although I avoided sibling rivalry with those two.....

mom29

Postby mom29 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 04:22 pm

I will be 43 when our 11th child is born in April. One of our children died at 14 months of age, so you never know what the future holds. I had severe preeclampsia with my first pregnancy, postpartum preeclampsia with my last pregnancy almost 3 years ago, and I currently have chronic hypertension. My OB was/is comfortable seeing me for a pregnancy despite my "advanced maternal age" and hypertension. I don't know your pregnancy history, but I think with good medical care we older moms certainly can add another sweet baby to our families.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 03:39 pm

YOU ARE CRAZY!!!!!!!!
= ) = ) Good luck in your decision!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Oct 29, 2007 02:54 pm

I don't have any PE stats but I am on #3 at 38 (I turned 38 a few weeks after findingout I was pregnant). I had PE with my first, PIH with my 2nd and still hoping for the best with this one. I have CHT now though so that's complicating things already. But I'm 28 weeks now.

We only ever planned to have 2. My first 2 were 17 months apart and
I was 34 for the first then 35 for the 2nd. And I thought I was done. But after about a year I started wishing for a 3rd but knowing it didn't make sense with my age and my PE history.

A year ago I had to go off BCP because of very high BP discovered at my anual exam. Went on BP meds then too. Well being off BCP led to our little "oops" in May and here we are expecting in Jan. I am thrilled to be having our 3rd little girl but also very scared for her health and mine. But I'm monitoring things carefully and my OB is doing u/s every 4 weeks and I've been going every 2 weeks since 24 weeks. I'll start NST's soon too.

So my advice is, if you want 3 kids go for it and get the best care possible while you do it. :)

tracey

Advanced Maternal Age?

Postby tracey » Mon Oct 29, 2007 02:39 pm

If you had asked me while I was pregnant with Oscar, I would have told you that absolutely, definitely, we were done having babies. Since his birth, however, I have started to doubt my conviction to this statement -- and my doubts are only getting stronger.
My thoughts are that I would possibly like to try one more time, but this time with a little greater space between them -- say in 2.5, 3 years. In 3 years, that would put me between the ages of 38 and 39, and I know this is considered advanced maternal age. With regards to risk for preeclampsia, what would this mean?
I know this would have to be considered against my own personal history, and I really would have to have a preconception consult with my peri, but I guess I am just wondering what your personal experiences might be. Do we have any more recent stats on what the experts say?

Perhaps this is a phase that will pass. Perhaps it is because I see Oscar, my so-called "very last" growing up so fast, not to mention, Lily! Perhaps it is the fact that I was raised as one of three, so that number just seems "right" for me.....I don't know.

Sorry for the ramble....[:I]

Return to “Ask the Experienced”