This should make everyone else feel better...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mistym03

Re : This should make everyone else feel better...

Postby mistym03 » Tue Jun 23, 637998 8:31 am

I know you are probably exhausted by now dealing with everything but my mom told me a story yesterday that I thought might bring a smile to your face at least.
She was fifteen she said and had long hair and got lice for the first time and freaked out ( my mom hates any kinda bug ) so instead of going to her mom first she started spraying lysol all over her head!! lol she thought that would kill them hahaha needless to say that didnt work and they had to go the old fashion route.
Hope everything calms down soon for you!

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Tue Jun 23, 637998 1:20 am

Boo - do you have curly hair? I do and my advice for your daughter is conditioner and a wide-tooth comb ONLY with conditioner in her hair. (Just sharing my experiences.) Don't try to comb or brush when it's dry - it hurts too much. My hair actually gets curlier the longer it is. Right now, when dry it's just past my shoulders, but when wet, it's mid-back.

I've gotten lice from my nieces. UGH. Talk about gross. I'd take another crappy bedridden pregnancy than deal with lice again.

Last summer, as I was just home with my newborn son, my little nieces spent the night (they used to do that all the time!). Well, in the morning, I notices Ashley itching - I looked and it looked almost like maggots - full blown lice. Super ew!!!

We bought the lice shampoo and used it. (We meaning my sister ... I couldn't stomach it!) They were still there!!! So we cut Ash's hair short and then smothered it with mayo. Yep, Hellman's (only the best). Then saran wrap. It stayed on her head for about 2 hours. Then my sis washed it out at her house while I was disinfecting mine. It worked!!!

I've heard though that lice only likes clean surfaces. I have an african-american girlfriend who's also told me that her daughter has never had lice (she's now 11 I think). Never!!! Something about how they don't like black hair ... or maybe it was the hair products she uses ...

mommyboo

Postby mommyboo » Mon Jun 22, 637998 10:22 am

I feel for you. I have 4 (soon to be 5) girls with long hair and my oldest has naturally tight curls. Just brushing their hair is a nightmare. I was also the one being sent home with lice despite the fact I had 5 brothers who never got it and I kept my coat and other things away from everyone. We would kill the darn things but couldn't get all of them out of my thick hair so I'd be sent home again.

I hear using lavender oil helps deter lice. I spray it diluted on my kids hair with a little conditioner when it is really tangled and so far no lice and it smells good too.

onesock

Postby onesock » Sat Jun 13, 637998 2:33 am

Never had to experience this...knock on wood, but the flat iron sounds like a great idea...those things are HOT...I would be surprised if any little bug could take that kind of heat! I hope that it gets all cleared up and you can relax again :)
We just got a note home today that there is a chicken pox outbreak in my son's class..3 students, all of which had been vaccinated against them.UT-oh :(

mom29

Postby mom29 » Sat Jun 13, 637998 1:22 am

BTDT. Try a Robi comb, it's a battery operated comb that zaps the lice dead. Also, use a professional quality flat iron on your girl's hair daily. The heat from that is higher than a blow dryer and will also kill anything that survives the shampoos. I heard that olive oil will smother them, but saw with my own eyes that it wasn't true. However, I think those hair gels would do a better job of smothering them because they would be imbolized, you know how the gel stiffens and holds everything in place? Hope some of these suggestions can help you and your dh. The Robi comb would be my first line of defense though.

mistym03

Postby mistym03 » Fri Jun 12, 637998 11:47 pm

oh no that really stinks!! I had them when I was in elementary from an outbreak at school and had really long hair as well it is no fun at all you poor thing!!

heather100

Postby heather100 » Fri Jun 12, 637998 7:47 pm

Oh no!!! As if you don't have enough to worry about!! I hope you get rid of them soon!!!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Fri Jun 12, 637998 6:23 pm

Oh ewwww!!! I feel so bad for you!!! (((HUGS)))

jenanderson

Postby jenanderson » Fri Jun 12, 637998 6:18 pm

Oh that is no fun at all. I was a hairstylist for 10 years and the only thing I've seen really work is to get them all out with that itty bitty comb. Make sure you wash all the stuffed animals and pillows and stuff like that too. What a pain in the rear!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Fri Jun 12, 637998 5:31 pm

This may be a bunch of hokey information, but I'm throwing it out there anyway. When I was getting DS's hair buzzed the other day, the barber was asking if I used product to 'train' his hair (as he's blessed with a few misplaced cowlicks), and I said no. She told me another benefit to product is that it keeps lice away?! She said they like virgin hair? Like I said, no personal experience with hair product and lice, but maybe a night of shampoo, gel, and hairspray is in order for the others?

Sorry you've been thrown another loop. And, yes, thanks to your DH for SURE!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”