cytotec vs cervidil??

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
kara
Forum Moderator

Re : cytotec vs cervidil??

Postby kara » Mon Jul 06, 637998 1:12 pm

Glad to hear that she's trucking along like a champ! I am sooo greatful for having the chance to deliver naturally! I don't think anyone actually believed it was going to happen naturally...but my body decided it was time to get baby out before things really exploded, and did the job. I hope she gets the chance to. I believe our experts say that natural is the preferred method when you are a PE momma. Decreases other dangers from major surgery when you are already ill to begin with. Keep us posted!

gsimons3

Postby gsimons3 » Mon Jul 06, 637998 10:15 am

Yes-I kind of got the impression that the dangers of cytotec had been figured out so to speak. I know she will be monitored and if she ends up with a c-section then so be it but I think everyone deserves the chance to try if possible and so far she is not so bad off that it is not possible.
Thanks again for all the help and advice!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon Jul 06, 637998 3:15 am

I had cytotec...which is also called misoprostil, and is in pill form. It worked wonders for me....31 week successful induction. I needed 4 doses of it, and no pitocin. Having a cervical ripener is always worth the try before pitocin, if she is stable. I had the cyctotec at a major university hospital. Some of the studies I think the others have referred to are outdated, and there is actually some good evidence for using cytotec, but I do agree that I see cervidil used more often. I think they work in slightly different ways. But there is research that supports it's use. I am confident that my Perinatologist, who has done research in PE wouldn't have used it if he didn't think it appropriate.

That being said, your doctor/hospital will likely have a preference of one or the other.

mommyboo

Postby mommyboo » Mon Jul 06, 637998 2:59 am

I've been induced using both. From what my Dr. told me, they use cervidil if your cervix is more favorable and it's not urgent. They use cytotec if it is more urgent to get the baby out. I had cervidil at 35 weeks with my first but I was also already dilated to I think 2. I was then given pitocin after 2 doses of the cervidil. Both were placed on my cervix to thin it.
With my 2nd baby, 29 weeks, it was an emergency induction and they used cytotec. After just one dose, also placed on my cervix, I went into labor and didn't need any pitocin.
With my 3rd baby, 31 weeks, they used cytotec again but that time it was oral. The Dr. had me just put it under my tongue. He said if the contractions got too strong, that I could then spit it out verses putting it on my cervix. I had 2 doses of that and pitocin. They did the same oral cytotec with my last 2.
I think it has changed since I had my first baby since they now can do cytotec orally where before they had to put it on my cervix.

onesock

Postby onesock » Sun Jul 05, 637998 11:40 pm

Is her PE worsening? I will be praying for her. My c-section (both of them) were a piece of cake...I hope the same for her, if she has to have one. Keep us updated. :) You are going to be a grandma!!!

hhbeachgurl

Postby hhbeachgurl » Sun Jul 05, 637998 8:28 pm

I was 35 weeks to the day when they inserted cervidil over night.....nothing hapened. I had a day of pitocin and another night of cervidil, but was still only 1cm dilated the next day, they did break my water but I had to have an emergency C because everything went bad then. I really didn't feel much besides some cramping with the cervidil, had lots of contractions with the pitocin, I just don't think my body was ready.

trish5

Postby trish5 » Sun Jul 05, 637998 12:45 pm

I was induced with just pitocin at 33.5 weeks and was only in labor for 4 hours, I really just think it depends on the person. But that was my second, by first It took about 10 and that was at 44 weeks.

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Sun Jul 05, 637998 6:55 am

I too had cervidil and then pitocin. But at 34 weeks, and many many many hours later, nothing happened.

Henry was born via c-section.

On the positive side, I'm glad that I labored (even though it stopped as soon as they pulled me off pitocin). I think that it helped his lungs. His head was even slightly misshapen too. He was trying to come out too!!! My body just wouldn't open.

gsimons3

Postby gsimons3 » Sun Jul 05, 637998 5:03 am

She is being induced due to PE and has been in the hospital for 2 weeks so far. No one has checked her so I have no idea of the favorability of her cervix. She has barely had BH so far so I am sure she is probably long and tight. They did offer her a c-section from the get go but she wants to try, so....And I had 4 sections and really don't want her to go through that!

onesock

Postby onesock » Sun Jul 05, 637998 3:43 am

They were initially going to insert cytotec, but I was dialated to 1, so they decided to use cervidil instead and pitocin...neither of them worked for me and I had a c-section after 18 or so hours of labor. If your daughter is dialated at all I would ask the dr if it is safe to use the cytotec...it is actually a 1/4 of a tablet and very tiny, which is why they decided on the cervidil for me. Good luck and keep us posted on how she is doing.:) Why (if I may ask) made them decide to induce?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”