in the hospital

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
cindyh27

Re : in the hospital

Postby cindyh27 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:03 am

I'm so sorry to hear about your little one ending up in the ER... hope she is doing better today...

I'm so glad to know that you are in the hospital with 24hr numbers like that... I hope you can bake the baby just a little longer... keeping the two of you in my thoughts and prayers!

Hang in there! ((hugs))

lynnekay

Postby lynnekay » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:11 am

Boo,

I can truly say my family can 1000% relate to what you are currently going through. When my daughter Beth was hospitalized for over 1 month due to her PE she received steroids it was an insane 4 days of NO SLEEP due to the hourly blood sugar checks when she was on the insulin drip. Beth also got very angry because she hated having the medical staff in charge of her insulin delivery instead of her doing it!!! She felt very powerless over her own diabetes care and that made her nuts (temporarily :-)...

Hang in there and try your best to stay strong & positive through this difficult time of battling the effects of the necessary steroid shots. Steroids and diabetes are an unpleasant mix, but in the long run they will help your baby girl if she needs to arrive early.

With the results of your 24hr test and all of your other current medical issues going on I am so glad that you are in the hospital under watchful eyes. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I shared your story with my daughter and she is praying for you too...

I hope your duaghters head wound heals fast. Yikes, like you needed more stress :-) Where do you live? We woke up to snow this morning in Colorado, so I am wondering where you are at.

heather100

Postby heather100 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 09:04 am

Oh my, Boo!!! What a time for you. I'm so sorry your daughter fell. And snow? Wow.

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Wed Nov 28, 2007 05:34 am

I'm sorry you are going through this! Adding you and your family to my prayers. A three year old getting stitches - I bet that sent your bp through the roof[:)]poor baby. Try to get some rest.

lucy21

Postby lucy21 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 04:59 am

Hi there,
Just wanted to send my thoughts and prayers to you and hope you "keep on cooking" as long as you can. I had Gestational Diabetes in my three pregnancies (which I know is NO WHERE near like having Type 1) BUT I remember what a rollercoaster it was managing my insulin towards the end and particularly after steroid shots.
Take care hun and good luck !
Lucy XX

mommyboo

Postby mommyboo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 03:17 am

"I take it you are on IV insulin and glucose?"

Yes, against my wishes. They insisted they could manage everything better on an IV instead of my insulin pump. Well, since then, I have been on a constant roller coaster. They gave me glucose because my sugar was 94!! Well now it's 250 so they'll up the insulin and we'll swing again. Fun stuff.

On top of all of this fun stuff, I got labs back for my 24hr urine. My protein was 5000 :0 Potasium is still low. Getting more labs drawn. BP's are still good though so my kidneys are just shutting down. Don't know what they will do from here.

I also just spent the last 2 hours in the ER. My dear little 3yr old fell against the fireplace at my in-laws and cracked her head open. They got the bleeding to stop but had to bring her in because it was gaping open. She had to get 3 stitches right in the middle of her forehead. It also snowed today and my DH has informed me that the roads are so bad, it's taking him 2 hours to get back and forth from home to here and his work. So I've only seen him for a few minutes in the ER before he got called back to work and had to leave. :( I guess when it rains (or snows) it pours.

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Tue Nov 27, 2007 09:47 pm

I feel for you. With all of the finger sticks I had, all of my fingertips were black and blue for a long time. Those hospital pokers hurt bad!!![:(] And no sleep doesn't help. Hopefully your blood sugars will stabilize. I take it you are on IV insulin and glucose? I have my fingers crossed for you. You are one * of a woman![:D]

mommyboo

Postby mommyboo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 09:22 pm

I'm doing ok. They have been pumping me full of fluids as well as insulin. My blood sugars went through the roof which has caused other problems and my potassium levels dropped giving me bad leg aches so they are also giving me potassium. Blood pressures are great though. They've bee running 115/65 with my highest being 140/89 when I got up to use the bathroom. I just finished my 24hr urine which has me a little concerned because it was the color of dark apple juice and I only had about 1000 despite all the IV fluids and drinking normal. Don't know what that means though since my labs so far are normal.

I do have to whine a little though. They were doing BP checks every 30min and blood sugar checks every hour all night long. I didn't sleep the whole night and this morning I told my dr if they didn't let me sleep I was going to check myself out. I felt 100 times worse than when I came in. The dr finally let me go 2 hours betwee checks but now my sugars are back up again and we are back up to hourly checks. Since I'm in L&D they also have the baby monitor on me and she is small enough she doesn't hold still so they are always readjusting that too. I swear I'm going to go crazy from lack of sleep.

Just waiting for the 24hr and then these darn steroids to be out of my system so I can go home.

jenanderson

Postby jenanderson » Tue Nov 27, 2007 08:15 pm

Just wanted to add my well wishes that you can bake a bit longer. Take care of yourself, (or let them do it for you for a few days!).

msellers

Postby msellers » Tue Nov 27, 2007 07:48 pm

i'm praying for you and the baby, update us as soon as you can. Hopefully they are just gathering data on you like they told me, and you can bake her a bit longer.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”