GD question

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
kara
Forum Moderator

Re : GD question

Postby kara » Sun Jan 28, 638001 6:10 am

That extra week can make a difference for baby. There are a handful of even 37 weekers whose lungs aren't fully mature, so 36 weeks can be iffy. Just be prepared, in case they hold you off. Are they going to do a lung amnio? Either way, the end is in sight! YAY! Hang in there and you'll have that little baby home soon!

trish5

Postby trish5 » Sun Jan 28, 638001 3:16 am

Thanks for your help, I'm just going to watch what I eat and try to eat healthier..I needed to do that anyways. I am just so ready to be done before something else goes wrong. I am almost positive she is going to induce on Friday at 36 weeks, that is what she keeps saying. I have an appointment on Tuesday and she said we would decide then. My husband wants to wait till 37 weeks because my bp has been down a little and I've been feeling better this last week. (Except today, I woke up with a headache) We'll just see what the dr. says, but I'm really, really hoping for Friday.

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Sat Jan 27, 638001 9:35 pm

Agreeing with Nikki........the big no nos are fruit juice, full sugar soda and eating large quantities of carbs (over 15 g) at one sitting without a balance of protein........I think the medical community is pushing education to try to stem the tide of the HUGE amount of undiagnosed type II diabetics.....if you look at it as educational for all family it is ok.....just know that there is statistics that say a woman that develops gd is more likely to develop type II in her future non-pregnant life! It sounds to me, and I am no doctor just someone that had gd and is trying to avoid any future life with insulin!, like they are being overly cautious...a good thing! Also know that while you are in the hospital they will test your blood and probably feed you the diabetic hospital meals.....just so you know! Best of Luck!

brooklynsmom

Postby brooklynsmom » Wed Jan 17, 638001 12:42 pm

I just finished a pregnancy with GD six weeks ago, and the GD has been gone since about week 2:)...so if you are delivered before Christmas, eat all of the sugar cookies you want!:) Weird that she would make you attend the class...because you will be delivered so soon...I went, and to be honest, because of my family history I knew enough about it that it just helped me get a meal and snack plan, which you probably won't even need! They did monitor my blood sugar during delivery to make sure it didn't get to high so that they baby wouldn't have low blood sugar after birth, but then didn't check it after delivery AT ALL. Good luck and keep us updated!

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Wed Jan 17, 638001 12:37 pm

I was thinking that the theory behind GD was similar to PE in that it *should* go away with delivery. However, as we can all see around here, 'should' isn't necessarily what happens, and it takes time in some cases. Maybe she's just wanting you to get used to managing it on the off chance that it doesn't resolve immediately. Hopefully, that won't be the case though.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Jan 17, 638001 12:22 pm

Geez Trish. That just doesn't make sense that she'd make you go to the class. And aren't you getting delivered REALLY soon anyway? If they don't think you need to monitor your sugars, then I'm not sure why you would have to go to the class. Makes no sense. I'd be careful about what your eating...cut out the low glycemic carbs. You could probably get tested while in hospital too...since they'll no doubt be taking other blood samples, and if it's normal, I probably wouldn't worry too much about it.

trish5

Postby trish5 » Wed Jan 17, 638001 8:53 am

no, they said that they didn't think it was necessary at this point because they did complete blood labs twice last week and the levels were fine. My husband thinks it was because I have been craving chocolate milk for the last 2 weeks and drinking way too much (1/2 gallon a day). This is pregnancy number 5 and the last one for sure so I dont have worry for future pregnancies. I think I will be skipping the class and will just get tested 6 weeks after. I'll just have fewer sugar cookies..I was going to go on a diet anyways after Chirstmas since this was the last...I was just hoping to enjoy the ending of my pregnancy as much as possible while I still had the excuse to eat! Now my husband is watching me like a hawk and everytime I pick something up..."should you be eating that?" It's just downright depressing!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Wed Jan 17, 638001 8:29 am

How frustrating! My dad is Type 2 and so I'm always watched carefully for Diabetes, and GD when I was pregnant. GD "should" go away shortly after delivery...wihtin a few days to weeks. HOWEVER, they probably want you to attend the class because you have an increased risk of developing GD in future pregnancies. It is thought that some GD moms are at an increased risk for developing type 1 or type 2 diabetes in the future. It's thought that pregnancy can unmask this tendeancy (just like those with unmasked chronic hypertension can develop PIH, ro PE). And for a few of these women the GD can continue as type 1 or 2 after pregnancy...it's unmasked and doesn't go away...although I think that possibility is low. I think that if your blood draw levels have been normal, and you were barely over the limit with your test, that you are likely to bounce back sooner rather than later.

Could be that your doctor wants to cover his butt on the miscommunication. Something that should have been noticed in my opinion. I would suspect that they will teach you what to eat/not eat, how to test your blood sugar in the class, and then you can watch your sugar levels, test your blood, and have a better idea of if or how you are being effected....and be sure that it goes away by 6wk PP. Have they asked you to monitor your sugars at home yet?

Once you know how you are being affected, you can decide on the sugar cookies!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Wed Jan 17, 638001 7:10 am

I don't know anything about GD. Just thought I'd send you (((HUGS))) on the off chance you won't be able to have sugar cookies for Christmas!! That would be awful!! But you will have a baby (and I'll just still be sitting here eating sugar cookies & moaning about my aching back and sciatic). LOL

trish5

GD question

Postby trish5 » Wed Jan 17, 638001 6:59 am

The dr. and her nurse had a miscommunication and I missed doing the Glucose test back at 26 weeks, so I did it last week and on Friday (35 weeks now) I found out I failed the three hour test. The dr. said just barely and that she was suprised because in the last month they have done 5 or 6 blood draws and my sugar levels have been fine. She has been planning on delivering the baby (I hope that doesn't change) either next Tuesday or Friday depending on my Tuesday sonograms and blood pressure. She said in the mean time to cut sugars and carbs out of my diet.
The question I have is how soon does this go away after delivery? She said that since I failed the test she needs to send me to a GD class - is this really necessary? Won't it go away within a couple days after delivery? How long do I need to watch my sugar level, she said I would test again at 6 weeks postpartum, does that mean no sugar cookies for me???

Return to “Ask the Experienced”