spent last night in the hospital

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
lisakaydavis

Re : spent last night in the hospital

Postby lisakaydavis » Sun Jan 13, 2008 06:49 pm

Sorry I didn't update my post yesterday...my bp's stayed in the high to mid 90's lower #. all day yesterday...and i pretty much laid down for most of the day...today bp's have been great (for me) in the low 140's/90's...and miracle of all miracles....I actually feel good...for the 1st time in forever!

Caryn, I guess you are right about the placenta thing...I am starving all of the time...and have at least doubled my pre-pregnancy calorie intake....maybe even quadrupled :-)... and this whole pregnancy I have only gained a total of 10lbs....ob recommended 20....I am also retaining fluid...which is probably responsible for the 1lb loss...as my swelling has decreased somewhat.

On a lighter note, maybe my bp's have been better today... probably b/c my house is almost clean...spotless by hubbies standards :-)!!! He took friday off to give him a 3 day weekend...so he could help more. At least for me the bedrest seems to be helping somewhat...making it a little more bearable!

Thanks everyone for your advice and support...I don't know what I would do without this site! I will probably update tomorrow after my NST...but probably on a new thread...this one's getting a little too long...and the title is no longer relevant!

Lisa

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Jan 12, 2008 05:42 am

Lisa, how are you feeling today? Christina's right -- the placenta makes you stressed, by upping your production of cortisol -- and Kara's right, you can't dilute a 24-hour (they care about how much protein you produce in 24 hours, not how much urine it's in.)

You and Val are both teetering on the edge here, and I'm glad you're being followed closely.

Oh, and the weight loss thing -- are you hungry? I would have been losing weight, except my kidneys were failing so I was retaining a lot of fluid that masked it. And I was eating a ton; it's just that I couldn't keep up with the placenta's demands. (Stupid bossy placentas!)

Keep us posted as you're able.

bellemama

Postby bellemama » Fri Jan 11, 2008 03:56 pm

Lisa, I'm sorry about your father not being helpful or understanding! Can you let your husband run interference?

It's not long now. I hear you on the house thing. I have cleaners that come every two weeks to do the deep cleaning, but the house gets so incredibly cluttered, which is just one thing I can't stand (I'm anal, I admit it). This morning I just about cried when I went down to get something to drink. So, I've decided not to go downstairs anymore. [:)] Is there anyone you trust--a friend or non-self centered family member -- to come over and help out with the kids, laundry or cleaning? Often people would love to help, but have no idea what to do.

I hear you about wanting to be home for your kids -- I feel the same way -- but if I have to and my pressures get bad enough, I'm going to hold my breath, make them admit me, and not leave until the baby is born. I know my husband and son will be fine without me and probably have an exciting time.

Take care of yourself!!!!

heather100

Postby heather100 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:20 am

Lisa-I'm so sorry about your father. Mine is the SAME way. No matter what, he somehow knows exactly what to say to hurt my feelings. It's just him. He has no sympathy at all for anyone but himself. Don't let him get to you. You are doing what you are supposed to.

Good idea on the dry erase board. Do something similar with your phone. Put it on silent (cell phone) so it doesn't bother you or just don't answer it.

You are getting SO CLOSE but I bet it doesn't feel like it on bedrest. (((HUGS)))

onesock

Postby onesock » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:03 am

Lisa..hang in there:) We all can understand the messy house!! Messy house means that you are doing your job..being on bedrest and not doing anything!! The dry erase board sounds like a good idea, but I would take it one step further and just lock the door. ;) You don't need the stress of unwelcome comments that make you feel bad!

lisakaydavis

Postby lisakaydavis » Fri Jan 11, 2008 09:23 am

Thanks Lucy for your advice...my ob had mentioned keeping me in the hospital until birth "just to keep an eye on things".....but I begged her to let me go home. I can't imagine being away from my children and my husband for such an extended time. My husband bought one of those magnetic dry erase boards to put on the back door (which is the door everyone uses)...so that I could write "I am fine and resting...please do not disturb" on it...to keep everone away when I'm not feeling up to company.... or the house is a total wreck b/c hubbies too tired after working 10 hr shifts to do much....hopefully this will work.

Lisa

lucy21

Postby lucy21 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:44 pm

Hi Lisa,
You poor thing - I can remember that awful "not right" feeling all too well and wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.
So sorry for the way your dad has made you feel - that is really unfair and the last thing you need. Some people just don't get it at all, do they?
My suggestion for what it's worth - is bedrest in hospital !! I don't know how things work where you are, but here in Australia, with insurance it doesn't cost a cent if your doctor approves it.
I HATE, HATE, HATE hospital with a passion, * BUT * when I was pregnant with my 3rd baby, I was put on bedrest at 21 weeks and after two weeks I went down hill dramatically and was then hospitalised until my baby was born at 30 weeks. My OB/GyN (Who I love to death - and is a mother herself)said that I could probably be on rest at home, but with 2 children under 3 and a large family and lots of friends visiting, ringing etc. and knowing what I'm like - can't sit still !!! that I just simply wouldn't and couldn't get the rest that I needed and she strongly believed that if I stayed home I would of only lasted another few weeks at most - whereas in hospital I cooked for another 7 weeks.
I know it sounds like an awful idea - being in hospital - and I hated it - but long term the result was I could "REALLY" rest and the nurses even restricted my visitors (to my husband, kids and my parents) so that I could just lie there and concentrate on growing my baby and worrying about myself, not making conversation with family and friends.

Please condsider this I can really advocate for the benefit of proper rest and I know how impossible this is when you have children and a house to look after and people "popping in" and ringing you all day.

Please take care and good luck with the rest of the pregnancy.
Lucy XXX

kezt777

Postby kezt777 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:50 pm

lisa - big hugs about your father. my suggestion - since youre on bedrest, dont answer the door ;) i know, thats silly, but a pathetic attempt at humouring it up. im sorry that your father does not understand the severity of what is going on, but try to remember that when he says things like that. easier said than done, i know, but try to let it roll off your back. so many people say stupid things, like wishing they 'got to be on bedrest' and things like that, and we just have to learn to ignore it and remember that they are obviously ignorant of PE and all that encompasses it. i did think of some sarcastic replies about how nothing is done in the house because no one else gives a hoot that you are sick and doesnt offer to help - but i suppose that wont make things better. so just let it go in one ear and out the other as much as possible.

anyway im sorry that you had to spend time in hospital, but im glad they are keeping a close watch on you. i hope that things stretch out for many more weeks and get you closer to the end, but it sounds like they are really watching and thats the best thing right now! hugs!

lisakaydavis

Postby lisakaydavis » Wed Jan 09, 2008 06:24 pm

Thanks everyone for your kind words...they are greatly appreciatted! My pressures seem to already be lowering somewhat...they are in the low 140's/90's and I even had 1 reading in the 130's/80's. I still feel horrible...so bed rest wasnt that hard today. The dull ache under my ribs in my right side is still there...but they knew this when they released me...and said to come back only if it worsens.

My father came over today and really ticked me off...I was trying to explain the situation with pe and the dangers to both myself and the baby....and why I had to be on complete bedrest...and he said well it shouldn't be to hard...you haven't been doing anyhting around your house lately anyways (I have been on moderate bedrest for several weeks now)....He always makes me feel worse when he comes over...I think he really feels that I am just lazy...My mother had 6 children without a single complication...and my sister is currently pregnant with her 6th without a single complication...and I guess he just doesnt understand and probably never will. He actually called me at 5pm (after our earlier conversation) and asked me to go pick up my schizophrenic brother and bring him over to his house, b/c he was too busy cooking chili to go get him....See what I mean about no family here to help me out...I am on the verge of asking him to stay sway from my house until after the baby comes....I cry after each of his visits...he makes me feel so bad!

Okay, time for a change of subject....Kelly how far along are you now? Val, your post echos my sentiments exactly....Before I logged on, I called my husband on his way home from work and told him to pretty much empty the microwavable food section at the grocery store on his way home! Christina, I do feel a little better about being so miserably depressed most of the time if it just a symptom of this disease...and not b/c I am losing my mind!

Gotta go, hubby just pulled in the driveway with our wonderful dinners for the rest of the week...Thanks again everyone.
Lisa

bellemama

Postby bellemama » Wed Jan 09, 2008 05:33 pm

I'm so sorry you're having such a tough time! I do feel for you.
Bedrest with kids is so hard. I'm lucky in that mine goes to a preschool he loves so I can get some rest during the day. Is there any way you could hire some temporary help? If not, remember that this is only for a short time. You aren't going to do them permanent damage if they watch (a lot) more tv than usual or if dinner is microwaved chicken nuggets for the 4th time in a week (speaking from personal experience [:)])

Yes, I hate when nurses don't do a good job with bp; it's frustrating when you know they're doing it wrong but you can't really say anything!

I've had more than one 24-hour, and sometimes I've drunk more than others (not by design) but it doesn't seem to effect the result. I find the more I drink, the better I feel and the more my swelling goes down. Sort of counterintuitive...

Take care of yourself!!!!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”