IVF & Preeclampsia

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
christine lyn

Re : IVF & Preeclampsia

Postby christine lyn » Wed Sep 05, 638283 1:56 pm

Hi there just wanted to say I did IVF also and had PE and as my doctor said very close to HELLP. I had to go through IVF not because of me but because of my DH. I alway's wondered if it was because of all the fertility medicaton I was on but who knows.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Sep 04, 638283 8:20 pm

I can't find anything new on this in PubMed, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more research into it as the year goes on. Not that that's of any help now. [:(]

I saw your other post saying you were in the hospital now, and I'm hoping for a few more weeks at least for you both. I'm glad you've got good care.

Please keep us posted as you are able.

frumiousb

Postby frumiousb » Thu Aug 23, 638283 4:57 pm

Niki,

I asked a similar question since it took IUI to get me pregnant. The MFM I see said that at their hospital they see an anecdotal connection between unexplained infertility using whatever technique to get pregnant. She did warn, however, that while some studies bear that out others do not seem to support the observation.

In her opinion, the results (if true) would most likely be due to the fact that women with unexplained infertility either are older when they finally do get pregnant (in my case, it took me four years to get pregnant the first time). She said that she also assumed that there would likely be risk factors which would be similar for both conditions-- some kind of as yet unidentified immune response or marker.

I've wondered about it a lot. In real life I know three women who had severe preeclampsia. All three of us required fertility treatment. Again, anecdotal, I realize.

Cheryl

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Wed Aug 01, 638283 1:05 am

Welcome back, Rebecca - and congratulations!

That must have been quite the surprise.

rebecca

Postby rebecca » Tue Jul 31, 638283 10:05 pm

I did not have IVF my first child and had PE. I DID do IVF for our second and got PE and HELLP. I've wondered if that contributed to being so much worse the second pregnancy when they say usually its better the second time around. Perhaps I will be a good case study, I just found out 2 days ago that against all odds and despite actively attempting to prevent it, we are pregnant again. One of life's little surprises.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Jul 21, 638283 2:35 am

You nailed my concerns about it, Joy. [:)] Here's a link to the last discussion we had about this; I'll see if I can find any more:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17987

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Sat Jul 21, 638283 1:08 am

I have been thinking about your question and I would guess that it would really depend on what caused a person to have to get IVF in the first place. I will be interested in seeing what Caryn has to say, but my hunch is that it would be the underlying infertility issues as apposed to the IVF that would be the contributor to Pre-e. (Oh my goodness, I think I just caught a case of Caryns researchitis).

biogal

Postby biogal » Fri Jul 20, 638283 9:51 pm

Thanks Fiona!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Fri Jul 20, 638283 3:10 am

Niki,

I know this is something we've seen, but I'm not sure if it's anecdotal or has been studied. I'll email our resident reseaerch nerd, Caryn, and ask if she has any studies up her sleeve.

biogal

IVF & Preeclampsia

Postby biogal » Thu Jul 19, 638283 11:50 pm

I've heard and am wondering if any of you "research hounds" have read that patients who undergo IVF have a higher chance of developing PE? As you can probably guess I did IVF to get pregnant and was just dx with PE last Friday. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”