How to get rid of panicky feeling w/o meds?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
darateacher

Re : How to get rid of panicky feeling w/o meds?

Postby darateacher » Thu Feb 17, 638287 1:42 am

Thanks! I'm trying everything I can for now. Ro's suggestion about sitting in a quiet room has worked a little bit. Also, I can't start exercising for at least another 2 weeks. I've been getting outside daily though for a walk around the block.

I seem to wake up every AM with that panicky feeling and asking DH, "Where's Aaron??" It's an awful feeling, along with the empty feeling in my heart and pit in my stomach.

onesock

Postby onesock » Wed Feb 16, 638287 11:00 pm

I know that you may not be physically or mentally ready, but exercise, even light exercise does wonders for anxiety. I remember after having my first son, my anxiety was awful and I would walk up and down the steps at home, or just go for a walk outside or around the hosptial. (Make sure that you clear it with your doctor that activity is ok) I was doing it 2 weeks post c -section, which my doctor wasn't to pleased. about, but it really puts a halt to all of the endorphins that are causing those feelings. I must also mention that I too was on Zoloft, which I think worked as well. I hope that something helps...those pankicky feelings are the worst.:( ((hugs))

jenanderson

Postby jenanderson » Wed Feb 16, 638287 8:51 pm

Dara another thing I have found that helps is having my fiance rub my feet. I often get that way at night while I'm trying to relax and he rubs them hard enough so I focus on that and not the panicky feeling. It works for me about 75% of the time.

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Sun Feb 06, 638287 5:17 am

Thanks, Caryn! I'm glad to know it can also be from the PE. Makes me realize it may not always be in my control. My bps have been dropping well since I delivered and started the Methyldopa again (the peri took me off of it in the hospital, which I found weird). This AM, my bp was at 119/88. Not bad, right? I feel good knowing that maybe, just maybe, I don't have chronic hypertension. Then, I get all sad again because Aaron should still be inside me waiting for spring...like me!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Feb 06, 638287 4:35 am

Dara, without a working placenta, you don't have a pregnancy. [:(] So even if the baby is fine, no IUGR or anything, there's nothing to be done to keep the pregnancy going.

OTOH, you can have a sick baby and a perfectly good placenta -- and when that happens sometimes you can help the baby, like when a baby has cardiac issues that can be cured with surgery.

With the panicky feeling, I wanted to add that some of that may be residual from the preeclampsia itself. The damage done to the bloodstream can cause those sorts of physical feelings even in the absence of a reason to grieve; I was panicky for a good month postpartum just because my pressures were still so high.

I hope you feel better soon.

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Sun Feb 06, 638287 1:36 am

Jana- That does sound scary! I haven't actually had a panic attack. Just feeling the pressure in my chest.

Today, after therapy and some lunch, I feel asleep while reading a book. I slept for 2 hours! Can you believe it? Maybe talking to the therapist relaxed me a bit today? She said that Aaron was very sick in utero, and that he really wanted to meet us and tell us how much he loved us. That's why he made it. At the time, I think that helped me relax. Either that, or my body decided it was too tired to function anymore! But, now, I'm thinking...Is a sick placenta the same as having a sick baby? He was fine in utero...no physical issues at all! However, his placenta wasn't doing its job.

jana m

Postby jana m » Sat Feb 05, 638287 11:27 am

Dara, it's so hard. I too battled with panic attacks after I lost my girls. I never took medication, but we did go to grief counseling for quite a long time (we still have 'booster' sessions). I am very prone to anxiety, so I know how awful it is. A few years ago we were doing some international travel and it had been a while since I'd been on a plane so I developed quite a fear of flying. I saw a cognitive-behavioral therapist and she was able to help me tremendously by giving me different, pro-active techniques for dealing with the anxiety. The grief-related anxieity was obviously different, but a panic attack is a panic attack so that was the same. They are so awful, I shudder just thinking about them.

Good luck. If it gets debilitating, talk to your doctor.

mommyboo

Postby mommyboo » Sat Feb 05, 638287 10:04 am

Something that helps me, since I have a really hard time relaxing, is to get myself involved in something. When I feel an anxiety attack coming on, I begin crocheting. I focus on just that, on how much I can get done, on how fast I can do it and eventually, the anxiety feeling lifts. My sister swears by exercise too. She goes for a walk or does aerobics or something to just take her mind off things. That never worked for me but you could give it a try.

When mine gets really bad and I know I'm going to breakdown, I sleep. Things always look better after I wake up.

blythe

Postby blythe » Sat Feb 05, 638287 9:55 am

Dara, I'm so sorry about your Aaron. As for the weight on your chest, I can't even imagine. I do have a completely opposite suggestion, though. I love the relaxation, etc., ideas because you need to give your body and mind a rest. When you feel ready and have loving people around to support you, though, I'd suggest focusing on that weight. Try a new-agey thing and "talk" to the weight, "listen" and see what comes to mind. It sounds flakey to actually type it out [;)], but I find that kind of technique helpful for myself...

mom2ella

Postby mom2ella » Sat Feb 05, 638287 3:25 am

Dara,
How I know that elephant on the chest so well. I'm so sorry about your Aaron. I did take medication, but I've also heard that Omega 3 can help with depression/anxiety. Maybe you could ask your doctor about that too. Thinking of you and your family.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”