Breastfeeding and post partum high bp

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mom29

Re : Breastfeeding and post partum high bp

Postby mom29 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 09:44 pm

I nursed mine and it was never suggested as being a cause for my bp remaining high. The stress connection makes sense, mine was high today despite taking a nap and doing very little today. This is getting so tiresome (and scary) dealing with high bp postpartum. The cardiologist seemed to think last time that losing the pregnancy weight would help. I was diagnosed as chronic hypertensive though so I don't think it made much of a difference.

mommyboo

Postby mommyboo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 08:50 pm

With my first and my second, I began pumping right after they were born and my BP returned to normal almost immediately after the baby was born. My third, fourth and fifth it went down, then back up then back down and I nursed/pumped for all of them. My 6th is the only one that it remained higher longer. It went down immediately after she was born, stayed down for a few weeks then shot back up. I was put back on meds and it remained high for about 3 months. It is beginning to return to normal now and I'm no longer on meds. I'm still nursing/pumping.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 05:43 pm

Let me know if you notice an improvement.

After my first round of PE my BP came down within a day, though my baseline was never as low as before. I breasted fed my son for over a year.

After my second bout of PE my BP remained high. It came down somewhat in the first month postpartum, but I'm still on a low dose of BP meds.

I have been seeing some lower pressures lately (still breastfeeding and on BP meds), but I also have gotten my vitamin D levels in normal range now which may be helping. I found out in December my vitamin D levels were low.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Fri Apr 11, 2008 02:09 pm

I have not been told to stop BF and my BP's are crazy high still sometimes (160/105) even on 300-400 mg of labetalol & 60 mg of procardia a day. If stopping BF would help I'm sure my internist, OB or cardiologist - all who I've seen about my BP - would have mentioned it. I'm 3 1/2 months PP & it doesn't look like my BP be improving anytime soon.

adgirl

Postby adgirl » Fri Apr 11, 2008 01:24 pm

I had high BP post partum, and believe it was from both the PE - being a stressed new mom, and lack of sleep. It took quite a while and meds to get it down to normal - about 16 weeks.

But, I breastfed for 13 months, so I don't think the breastfeeding was a factor.

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:43 am

Another thing to keep in mind is that, like stress, lack of sleep also would have an affect on bp. I would *think* it would be less dependent upon hormones and more either lifestyle (lack of sleep - stress) and/or the PE kicking in an underlying hypertensive tendency. Your body itself hasn't truly gotten back to normal either so there's that to keep in mind as well.

Your taking BP medicine - right? Is it keeping your BP under medicated control? I've seen some women on here post that they had to take BP medicine for 6 mo - 1 year so maybe factors such as what Alice indicated and what I've got here plays more of part.

I too am curious!

How is baby Dennis - doing well I hope?

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:31 am

I am still nursing dear old Henry at 23 months. I also pumped for well, a long long time. I know my hormones are still not completely "settled" because my carpal tunnel has never fully resolved. But my BP did go down to an *acceptable* range - still highish (125/85) but not bad within 6 weeks after delivery.

My opinion would be that stress might add to the BP (though as ya'll know, I'm no doctor! he he! and that's more or less my opinion). As well as well, having a PE pregnancy and a baby.

Plus, I was just too cheap to consider buying formula when momma's milk is free.

I'm curious to see what others respond though, cause as I said, it's just my opinion.

sherbear

Postby sherbear » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:28 am

after my first baby i stopped breastfeeding about 4 days after he was born and it didnt help my high bp.. it stayed high i think for about 6 weeks.. Now my second baby is about a month old and im still breastfeeding and im on bp meds.. when its time for another dose my bp is still 135/99 or so.

lizalourx

Breastfeeding and post partum high bp

Postby lizalourx » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:40 am

Just curious if there might be a connection with breastfeeding and bp remaining high after delivery. I just recently stopped pumping so I will be curious to see if there is any improvement. I guess my train of thought was while breastfeeding your hormones don't return to their normal prepregnancy state and wondered if that could play a part. For those of you with PE that continued with high bp's after delivery were you breastfeeding? Did you notice an improvement in bp's after you stopped breastfeeding?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”