Magnisium

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
evansmom

Re : Magnisium

Postby evansmom » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:15 am

Maybe because I wasn't on it until I was already in labor and dealing with that, but I don't remember the mag being that bad. I did throw up twice during the transitional part of labor, but the nurse says that happens to a lot of women anyway. what i hated most of all about the mag was having to stay down in L&D for 24 hrs post partum while my baby was up in the nursery. Also, No eating, no walking around, catheter etc.

Lauren 27
DH Jeff
Evan 12-9-01 (PIH @ 29 weeks)
EDD 7-11-04

kylesmom

Postby kylesmom » Wed Apr 07, 2004 06:35 am

Jen- I just read this thread and started having flashbacks! I was put on Mag for about 2 1/2 days and got to "enjoy" most of the side effects from it: nausea and vomiting (right at the time they were putting the epidural in), fatigue, burning sensation, and the worst which was the dry mouth. I was able to suck on ice chips and I had learned a tip in childbirth class to make gatorade ice chips which really saved me (pack a bottle in your bag). I think I went about 4 days without eating or drinking anything. I remember sucking on a damp facecloth during the delivery because I felt I couldn't catch my breath after each push. Its tough being bedridden for L&D and having a catheter to add to the experience, but if it saves your life or the life of your child, then bring it on!

Jennifer 32
Kyle born 8-13-03 @ 38 weeks (severe atypical Preeclampsia and Class I HELLP)

taras mom

Postby taras mom » Tue Apr 06, 2004 08:45 pm

Jen, being on mag is like cuddling a Balrog, but the stuff works.[8D]

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel

amyk

Postby amyk » Tue Apr 06, 2004 01:49 pm

I'm one of the seemingly rare ones with Joy. It hardly bothered me at all, although I have significant memory loss.

Amy

Chloe (8/6/01) 35 weeks, p/e, hellp
Tristan (9/3/03), 32 weeks, p/e and hellp AGAIN

haunaniv

Postby haunaniv » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:56 am

What I remember most with my last PE pregnancy is the burning sensation in my arm where they had the IV -- my arm hurt really bad! I remember feeling hot and lots of nausea if I tried to sit up. Also, I wasn't given any food prior to delivery -- 26 hours of ice chips, but one nurse did let me have some graham crackers. I don't know if this was due to the Mag and other meds, or more because of a possible C-Section. I really hope to avoid any further experiences with Mag, but of course would do it again if needed. Good luck!

Nancy: 36 yrs.
dd: 1994 - 40+ weeks, PE
dd: 1997 - 38 weeks, No Complications!
ds: 1999 - induced at 36 weeks, PE
Another boy! - EDD 6/23/04

meljoi

Postby meljoi » Tue Apr 06, 2004 08:01 am

I was on mag for 4 days prior to Peyton's birth.
I deemed it the "devil's juice"....I know that it's a miracle drug-
but the effects it had on me were very troublesome. I lost my motorskills.....couldn't speak, focus, move at all. They did give me a small break from it so that I could drink something, as I wasn't allowed to consume anything for the 4 days-and while off it I begged them to not put it back on....I also begged for a c-sec thinking that might stop them from turning the drip back on. Once they saw my platelett (spelling?) was down and my blood couldn't clot, they refused the c-sec and put the drip back on. It was a horrible ordeal, but I was told afterwards that my experience was an extreme one, that not many women have that horrible of an experience. Just know, that if they are placing you on mag and you're feeling really crummy-explain to the Dr.'s what you're feeling-and know that it's all to keep you and the babe safe. That's what kept me somewhat sane (I use the term loosely of course[:D])

Melissa Joi 32
DH Jeremy 43
mama to Peyton John 12/04/00 (severe pre-e @ 38wks)
2nd babe due 12/04

tahoe4

Postby tahoe4 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 07:37 am

Mag causes you to feel like you're REALLLY hot. Also, dry mouth and I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but when I was on it, I wasn't allowed food or water, only ice chips sparingly for two or three days! I think that's because if you're on mag, you're in the risk category for a potential seizure and you don't want to seize on a full stomach. Mag also can cause you to be very agitated and jittery.

meg

Postby meg » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:49 am

I know my sis was miserable on it! She was SO tired, lost her voice, felt totally out of it.
Good luck! I hopeyou can avoid it!

Will 2-6-00 ( PE at 35 weeks)
Elizabeth 7-3-01 ( NO PE)
#3 EDD 10-25-04
Proud Aunt to Ethan born 27.5 weeks weighing 1lb 8 ounces! Our little fighter!
Already off the ventilator and opened his eyes!

sandy

Postby sandy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:48 am

When I went on the mag, I begged them not to use it because I heard from someone else who was on it that it made her nauseus.

After having hypremesis and having an easily disturbed stomach non-pregnant, the doctor said that I had to have the mag, but that they'd wait and see if I had to have the "blocker". I ended up not needing the blocker, and except for having some memory loss and falling asleep mid-sentence, I don't remember having some of the extreme mag reactions I've read about here. And I did have Zofran, too, so no nausea.

Find out if the "blocker" is what causes the extreme symptoms, and if so, if you really must have that to start off with.

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP/chronic HBP/asthma

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:47 am

Mag for me meant black outs, extreme drowsiness and lethargithicness, burns on my skin etc..
it didn't go over well.

Mag is a muslce relaxer which means when your on it your usually bedridden (which menas a cathador or bed pan) and no moving around during labor. The typical side effects are drowsiness and some limpness, burning sensation (I had them crank the AC down to about 60 degrees LOL) and dry mouth, which typically dissapear within 24 hours of coming off mag (usually your on mag until 24 hours post birth once your put on it). For me it took about 4 days until the effects really wore off.
Erin

Moderator - First Time Moms, Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex and Mason

Return to “Ask the Experienced”