Might be a Dumb Question but..

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
browneyes

Re : Might be a Dumb Question but..

Postby browneyes » Mon Apr 14, 2008 04:58 am

thanks for all the advice.. i have to turn in a 24 hour in monday....
im praying its ok. i had to go into labor n del. yesterday because i wasnt feeling her move. and this little girl moves whenever i touch my belly.. i freaked and went in. as soon as i was hooked up to the machine she KICKS!!! lol i felt stupid. my blood pressure was 142/89 to me it was high.. but they said its not too bad. (ugh) and my legs were plus 3 edema or whatever he said i know he said 3 and that they were bad. he ordered strict bedrest until my apt on the 18th. so now im just trying to get the swelling down. whih isnt going down. but im hangin in..

jmacionp

Postby jmacionp » Sun Apr 13, 2008 08:47 am

now that i'm reading the replies, i'm thinking of asking for the 24-hour test, too. it's been a week now since i'm having headaches and my b.p. this week has been going up to 130's 140's, when normally, it's just at 120. my dips were always negative except at one time (trace).

hhbeachgurl

Postby hhbeachgurl » Fri Apr 11, 2008 08:55 pm

I would want another 24 hour because dips can be very unrelibale...but with a +3 I would definnitly want one. I only ever dipped a trace even with my rpoteing well above 300...and most of the time I dipped negative

mommyboo

Postby mommyboo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 08:35 pm

The dip sticks vary depending on the time of day, how hydrated you are and of course, the actual amount of protein you are spilling.

I believe I was somewhere around 300 on my 24hr urine at 7 weeks and part of the time I was dipping 3+ protein. At 16 weeks I was only dipping 1+ (but was drinking a lot more). We did a 24hr just to make sure all was well and it was something like 600.

By the time they induced me, I was still only dipping a 2+ but 24hr showed over 5000. I also noticed I dipped more glucose when I dehydrated and less when I was drinking a lot, despite what my actual blood sugars were.

I would definately get another 24hr just to be safe.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 07:26 pm

Not "as" accurate, but still a good idea. I would want another 24 hour personally at +3...............

4mybabies

Postby 4mybabies » Fri Apr 11, 2008 06:59 pm

From what I have read the dips in the office are not as accurate as the 24 hour. From what you have said, I would guess that you would show some protein again with another 24 hour urine-this is my opinion! I just dropped off my baseline 24 hour urine today. I have never dipped more than trace-+1 in the office, never been above 300 with my 24 hours-I hope it is the same way for this pregnancy. However, if I were you...I would request another 24 hour urine. As many have suggested on this board, if they refuse I would demand it and/or have them write in your chart that they refused your request. If my doc refused it, I might consider changing to another. The good news is that you do have the 18-20 week 24 hour to refer to. Good luck to you...I wish you many more weeks of baby baking.

browneyes

Might be a Dumb Question but..

Postby browneyes » Fri Apr 11, 2008 05:30 pm

Ok Ive read the message about someone having +1 dip. of protein. And ive always been +2 at the doctors when they first take my urine. My 24 hour urine was taken around 18-20 weeks..(i was 344 protein ) im now 31 weeks and havent had a new 24 hour urine done since.. But for the past two doc. apts its been +3 protein in my urine.
What does the +1, +2, +3 mean?? and does my +3 mean that my 24 urine will now be higher?? (im sopposed to turn one in soon).

Return to “Ask the Experienced”