blood pressure + grieving

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
summerw77

Re : blood pressure + grieving

Postby summerw77 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:06 am

Well at least you are excersising! I am happy to hear that. Man you are really a healthy person LOL you massage once a week, excersise daily, see I tell you all this but I don't do it. I know if I walked I could get my bp meds down, but I am so bad about excersising. GOOD FOR YOU! They say animals help keep your bp's low LOL. dont' know if ti's true though hahahahahhahahaa.

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:01 am

Thanks for all of the advice, and I've been walking since 6 weeks after Aaron's passing. I also see a personal trainer 2x a week. Nothing doing with the bp. They all stay up there in "no man's land" as my doc refers to it as.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:37 am

I totally understand the wanting bp meds thing. I was on them from mid of my second pregnancy for a few years and then was able to bring my bps down with a huge weight loss and lots of exercise so I went off of the meds. It kind of paniced me as I felt like they were a safety net. My dh has bps just like yours and his doctor is not considering meds - just wanted him to consider lossing a few pounds and upping his exercise.

Take care.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:28 am

Oh yeah those are not bad! Of course would like to see that bottom number below 80 but those aren't too bad! One thing that can help your blood pressure is walking. They say even just half a mile a day, to a mile a day. Also there was a study that showed 1 hour of excersise every other day can help depression as much as an antidepressent. So for 2 reasons I think it would benefit you to walk!!!!!!!! I started it when I was having PPD and I didn't end up going on meds, just progesterone cream and walking. I really think it did the trick cuz I'm back to "almost" normal now.
Glad you are having massages!!!!

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Wed Apr 16, 2008 08:56 pm

Thanks, Summer! I do the massages each week. No worries there!

My bps have been today: 127/88, 138/88, and 126/88. The first one was at 5:45AM. Second one at 9AM. Third one at 11AM.

Are these acceptable?

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 06:28 pm

Hi hun! I'm sorry your having such a hard time. My peri told me that only systolic bp's can be affected by any type of stress, and that diastolic is not. Are you still having high bp's? What kinds of readings?

I haven't gotten what I promised you in the mail yet, as we're moving our office and I packed away my postage! So May 1 they will be in the mail! Hugs! I hope that you have a good weekend, maybe you can go treat yourself to a massage?

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:36 pm

I am sorry you are greiving now. I do beleive it can have an effect. When Emily was one month old and I still had post partum preeclampsia, my brother in law passesd at a young age due to cancer. ON the day of his funeral I had an ob appointment, and at the office my pressures were about 150/100. The stress did not help. Just try to take care of yourself and allow yourself to greive. I lost my dad a year ago and am grieving still, of course, so it is important to allow feelings to flow, it is healthy, but go easy on yourself and monitor those pressures. ((huggs))

mom2tori

Postby mom2tori » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:10 pm

I know for me any little amount of stress makes my bp rise. After losing Dominic it was up for quite a while and I had to continue on the labetelol for some time after. My 'normal' pressures are good but if something is going on in my life my bp goes up quickly and stays that way. I am not considered hypertensive but we are all guessing at some time will be. Right now I am not on any bp meds..woohoo!! My advice would be to talk to your doc and try to get them to understand your bp worries. I am sorry that you have to deal with crazy bp on top of the grieving that your heart is already doing. I am sending you many hugs and comforting thoughts

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Tue Apr 15, 2008 09:41 pm

My bps have been 120's/80's lately. Not good. 127/92 this morning. My doctor says I'm pre-hypertensive but that they don't medicate if you're below 140/90. So, I'm in a gray area. I want some meds!

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Tue Apr 15, 2008 06:15 pm

I don't really know - I would think that all types of stress could raise bp - but that different bodies will deal with it in different ways - like white coat syndrome, how some people can go into a doctors office, be stressed and have fine bp, but some will get a rise in bp at the doctors office because of the stress. Having that rise is an indicator that you will probably have bp issues in the future. How have your bps been running? What does your doctor say about them?

Hugs to you.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”