I'm beginning to think I'm crazy

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
a&amama

Re : I'm beginning to think I'm crazy

Postby a&amama » Sun May 25, 2008 07:50 pm

Id ask your Doctor to re-do. I thought I was the only one that could 'hear' it in my head, lol. I too always watched, and was always right on with the readins my OB would tell me.

Do you have training in reading? Are they letting the air out of the cuff very quickly, and maybe you arent able to 'hear' on tim? Im not sure. Grasping at straws here. Id be frustrated too. Id insist my OB re-do.

angiemac

Postby angiemac » Sun May 25, 2008 06:45 pm

I understand your frustration. There is a nurse at my OB's office who always has trouble reading my blood pressure (apparently my pulse is hard to hear... I have been told this by several people) so she always ends up just saying that I am 120/80. I haven't been 120/80 in a long time!

Whenever I get her as a nurse I just get the doctor to redo my BP afterwards. Last time she did this I was actually 125/90.

blythe

Postby blythe » Sun May 25, 2008 08:34 am

Hmmm, I have no idea how to take a manual blood pressure reading, but I remember seeing something about "korotkoff sounds" in a lot of the literature.

Okay, just googled it and found the British PRECOG (Community Guidelines on Pre-eclampsia) (The US Working Group Report isn't online in full-text form any more, otherwise I'd link to our WGR...) http://www.apec.org.uk/pdf/guidelinepublishedvers04.pdf
"Use Korotkoff V (disappearance of heart sounds) for measurement of diastolic pressure, as
this is subject to less intra-observer and inter-observer variation than Korotkoff IV (muffling
of heart sounds) and seems to correlate best with intra-arterial pressure in pregnancy. [Grade
A] In the 15% of pregnant women whose diastolic pressure falls to zero before the last sound
is heard, then both phase IV and phase V readings should be recorded (e.g. 148/84/0 mmHg)"

Sorry I can't really translate that, though!

In your specific question, I'd tend to think that the nurses know what they're doing, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

julie f

Postby julie f » Sat May 24, 2008 10:04 pm

Andrea,
Check this link from WebMD about how to take a manual reading: http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high- ... re-at-home

Have you talked to your actual OB or peri about it? Perhaps they could try taking it again. Also, it makes sense that you would feel your pulse at the same time it's heard but, perhaps there is some delay? (I have no idea so I'm just thowing that out there, I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be on about it soon.)

mom29

Postby mom29 » Sat May 24, 2008 09:45 pm

The ones at the OB's office may not know. The ones at my MFM office do know. I'm sure there are a variety of experiences here though. Why don't you take your bp monitor in to see what numbers you get there.

aldamb

I'm beginning to think I'm crazy

Postby aldamb » Sat May 24, 2008 06:06 pm

Okay...perhaps not surprising, but definitely frustrating. Here's the issue. Every time I go to the doctors recently, I find that the nursing staff is reading my BP wrong. Now, once or twice I would think it was their mistake, but this consistently the last four times so I'm wondering if it's me. At my OB--it's been the same nurse on two occasions. She's gone to take my BP, and doesn't inflate the cuff past 140. My BPs at home have consistently been in the 140s over 80s. The first time I pointed it out, and she redid the BP, but still read it about 10 points low on the systolic side. The second time, she again didn't inflate past 140, but I didn't want to be a huge pain and point it out--yet again. Then at my peri appointment two different nurses read my BP (again--the systolic part) 10 points lower than it was.

My understanding/experience has been that you read the top number from where you start feeling (or hearing) a pulse, and the bottom number from where you stop feeling (or hearing) a pulse. I can feel when my pulse starts and stops when they're taking my BP and I'm paying attention to the sphygmomanometer and noting the numbers. Am I getting it wrong?

The only alternative I can think of is that the nurses aren't taking this as seriously or aren't paying close attention---but they're working at an OB or MFM practice---they are trained to know how important this stuff is, aren't they?

I definitely don't want to be one of those pain in the rear patients that is always second guessing the staff, so I'm open to any suggestions or thoughts.

thanks,
Andrea

Return to “Ask the Experienced”