2 weeks average diagnosis to delivery?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : 2 weeks average diagnosis to delivery?

Postby caryn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 07:40 am

I've started to see more and more articles that say things like this: http://www.emedicine.com/PED/topic1885.htm

As the understanding of the hypertensive disorders of pregnancy has grown, the term pregnancy-induced hypertension (PIH) is no longer recommended to describe preeclampsia.

The idea, I guess, is that since the whole problem stems from the placenta, that there's really no such thing as "just" gestational hypertension. It's just a question of how sick you get, and since they won't say you're in the clear until you haven't seized/ swollen up/ gotten hyperreflexic/ gotten ridiculous pressures after six weeks postpartum, they want to take everyone with elevated bp during pregnancy Really Seriously just in case.

It's safer to respond to the whole population with a little too much monitoring and $5 of mag and some generic 40 year old bp meds than it is to wing it and hope for no abruptions or strokes, you know? Caution is only unnecessary in retrospect. :-)

Hope this helps...

mollyd

Postby mollyd » Mon Jun 09, 2008 02:37 pm

Thanks!! :)

jenlamb

Postby jenlamb » Mon Jun 09, 2008 01:20 pm

Yes, adgirl...that was the point I was getting at. Gestational hypertension and PIH are the same thing from what i understand, but the timeline of two weeks is applied to PE, which like was previously said, is just an average. I have been diagnosed for almost 6 weeks and i'm still kickin!!

aldamb

Postby aldamb » Mon Jun 09, 2008 01:18 pm

That's right---I should have correlated the two above in my post--my doctors have always referred to it as PIH, but it's the same as gestational hypertension.

The bottom line, I think, is good---PIH/GH can be controllable and may not end up resulting in PE.
I hope they can control you BP as they've been able to do thus far with me.
All the best,
Andrea

adgirl

Postby adgirl » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:49 am

yes, gestational hypertension and pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) are the same.

I think the previous poster's point was that the 2 week timeline is for preeclampsia which is different than PIH or gestational hypertension. So, since you are not spilling protein yet, the timeline may be different for you.

In all honesty, the timeline is different for everyone, but I believe that the 2 week estimate is for PE, not PIH.

mollyd

Postby mollyd » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:07 am

Ok...so what's the difference between PIH and gestational hypertension? It sounds like the same thing. PE is when you start spilling protein into your urine right?? I haven't started doing that so my OB says I have gestational hypertension. I'm confused....aren't the terms used interchangebly?

a&amama

Postby a&amama » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:44 am

Welcome! & Congrats! Hope you can keep that little on in there as long as possible.

My own experiences have been between the diagnosis and delivery the waiting period-- there wasn one for me, lol. I was induced immediately with my second at 32/33 wks. Even though we started the induction immediately, I still expeirenced some eclamptic seizures. The second time, I was diagnosed with PIH, but were very concened because of how quickly I seized before, so they induced me within hours that day as well.

jenlamb

Postby jenlamb » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:00 am

I agree with Andrea. Sounds like you just have PIH at the moment. It's my understanding that you have to have urine over 300 for a diagnosis of PE. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :) My doctor always stresses to me that it's a whole picture that they look at. In my case I have high protein, (700's) but pretty normal bp (most of the time). Until the whole picture comes together, I am just being closely monitored.

aldamb

Postby aldamb » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:29 pm

I think theres a big difference between PE diagnosis and PIH. I have PIH that was controlled by bedrest for 7 weeks and seems ...at least for the moment, to be under control with moderate activity. I think the 2 week window relates to diagnosis of PE. Not sure...but thats my theory.
Best of luck to you.
Andrea

mollyd

Postby mollyd » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:46 am

I do have help, my son goes to his Mimi's during the day and then my husband snags him when he gets off work. Sort of like daycare. :) I had gestational hypertension with my first guy, was induced at 38wks and 6 days, so it wasn't a big deal. My pressure did spike at 160/110. YIKES! I have a different OB now and she seems to be much more conservative which I like. Her husband is a MFM so it's nice to know that she bounces info off him when dealing with me. I also have a seizure disorder and some cardiac issues that we are working with. Blah.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”