Post Reply FAQ Members Login

pain in wrists / swollen fingers

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

pain in wrists / swollen fingers

Postby jen44 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 01:50 am

by jen44 (765 Posts), Mon Jun 09, 2008 01:50 am

i'm 19w tomorrow. so far, my bp has remained normal however of course i'm hyper aware of any symptoms developing. for the last few days i have noticed my wrists aching and my fingers are swollen (not really swollen but noticeable). last night i woke up in the night in so much pain with my left wrist on fire, it hurt so bad. i'm thinking this is carpal tunnel -- is this causing the swollen fingers or is it the swelling causing the pain in my wrists? or could it be something more? i see my OB on tuesday and i'm going to bring it up but i just wanted to see what you all thought?

PS - a bit offtopic: my skin is just AWFUL and getting worse each day - my back, shoulders, neck, chest and my face have broken out in this bumpy acne mess - anyone have any tips for controlling this or even helping it?
jen44

Re : pain in wrists / swollen fingers

Postby fiona » Mon Jun 09, 2008 02:09 am

by fiona (5767 Posts), Mon Jun 09, 2008 02:09 am

Jennifer - it sounds like carpal tunnel. When I had it so bad, I had splits to wear at night. Let us know what your OB says.

No idea what to suggest for your skin - must be miserable. I hope there are some good ideas on their way.
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby hvsmith » Mon Jun 09, 2008 09:03 am

by hvsmith (169 Posts), Mon Jun 09, 2008 09:03 am

Same with me, Jennifer... I had it with my second pregnancy and again this time. The only thing that seems to help is wearing wrist splints at night. I got mine at a local drug store. Caryn mentioned on another thread that she needed to pull them really tight, and that's what I have to do, too. For some people, sleeping in the splints at night makes a huge difference. Mention it to your OB, too, and good luck!
hvsmith

Postby jacobkaden » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:42 am

by jacobkaden (359 Posts), Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:42 am

I would see a dermatologist about your skin, esp. since you are pregnant. You have to be careful what you take. Retin "A" is in a lot of acne products and I don't think they like you taking that if pregnant.
jacobkaden

Postby heather j » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:06 am

by heather j (4882 Posts), Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:06 am

Jennifer, I'm no help with the wrist/hand issues, but I can commiserate with the skin issues. During my last pregnancy, my skin was AWFUL and my hair, strangely, looked like straw that had been lit on fire. It wasn't pretty or glowing. It began to clear up around 30 weeks or so, but the hair took a bit longer to straighten out. I'd just lay off trying to do anything to "fix" it, the more you do the more it will be irritated. Stupid hormones!
heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby willow&sam » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:27 pm

by willow&sam (320 Posts), Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:27 pm

"Wrist on fire" - that sums up my experiences with carpal tunnel to a T. It was so bad during my first pregnancy, I had two sets of splints - on for the day where I could move my fingers and the other for sleeping when nothing could move at all. I had them made by an OT and my insurance covered 80% of the cost. Worth every penny - they help a lot and I've used them in every pregnancy since. I also saw an osteopath in Canada to get treated for them. I've specified Canadian because a US osteopath is completely different. What the difference is, I'm not certain, but I love seeing the osteopath in Canada
willow&sam

Postby donnabw » Tue Jun 10, 2008 02:05 am

by donnabw (53 Posts), Tue Jun 10, 2008 02:05 am

Same experiences, carpal tunnel. I was told that it's due to 'inner swelling', so swollen fingers is just the other side of the same thing. Wrist splints help, I have only a regular one, though. But thanks for the tip, Lisa, I'll call my insurance company tomorrow and ask about my coverage osteopath/splints.
donnabw

Postby jen44 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:33 am

by jen44 (765 Posts), Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:33 am

yeah so OB said it was carpal tunnel... i feel better. i am going to look into some splints. thanks everyone for your insight! ps - and the acne problem? just part of the process and i gotta just accept :(
jen44

Return to Ask the Experienced