Fibroid on outside of uterus

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
deerhart

Re : Fibroid on outside of uterus

Postby deerhart » Fri Jun 27, 2008 02:01 pm

My aunt had uterine fibroids, but hers grew during the pregnancy. They ended up being quite large and led to preterm labor. She spent 7 months on bedrest and delivered my cousin at full term. Unfortunately, the fibroids did not shrink after the pregnancy and she was advised to NOT have any more children.

I believe she started her pregnancy with 2 fibroids and ended with 6, each very large in size.

donnabw

Postby donnabw » Fri Jun 27, 2008 03:03 am

I had two before this pregnancy, now I have one (appr. 1.5x2.5 inches)in the uterus wall. That means they can actually disappear. They check mine during my weekly ultrasound appointments, but size didn't change so no one seems to worry about it - hence I don't either. Fibroids are made of muscle tissue and are quite common especially after at least one pregnancy, or so I was told.

kelly8sully

Postby kelly8sully » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:33 pm

I had two inside with my first pregnacy and four inside with my second. My doctor was a little concerned because they got so big during my pregnancies. During my second pregnancy, one of my fibroids was 6 cm wide and felt like a baby foot! It's amazing how they shrink afterward.
To answer your initial question -- yes, I have two happy, healthy children despite fibroids. Although, I did have two miscarriages and often wonder if the fibroids had anything to do with it.

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:07 am

Thanks, Blythe. From what I've been reading, too, as long as the fibroids are on the outside of the uterus, they shouldn't interfere with a healthy pg. I'm so praying one of our snowbabies sticks! :-)

blythe

Postby blythe » Thu Jun 19, 2008 08:57 am

Hmmm, I'm probably putting in the wrong search terms because I'm not finding anything about the development of fibroids, but I did find this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18395031
Fibroids and reproductive outcomes: a systematic literature review from conception to delivery.
There was no conclusive evidence that intramural or subserosal fibroids adversely affect fecundity. More prospective, controlled trials are needed to assess the effects of myomectomy. Good maternal and neonatal outcomes are expected in pregnancies with uterine fibroids.

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Thu Jun 19, 2008 08:45 am

Thanks, Momma J. I do eat a lot of soy products, like soy milk and boca burgers. But, I'm a vegetarian! :-) Anyway, my fibroids are 2cm and under, thank goodness! But, I am wondering...why did I develop the second one, of 2 cm, exactly one month after seeing the RE for my HSN? At that time, I only had the one fibroid that I've had since Aaron. Any ideas? Why would one develop so quickly?

momma_j

Postby momma_j » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:31 pm

I developed a 10 cm fibroid on my uterus when I was pg with DS#1. My pregnancy with him was full term and healthy. I had some difficulties with "irritable uterus" due to the size of the fibroid, but it was all managable.

I had a little more difficulty getting pg the 2nd time. After one early miscarriage and 11 months of trying, we were blessed again. He is now 3 months old.

I was always curious if the fibroid had something to do with the amount of time that it took to get pregnant. I think the fibroid may have been a symptom of the problem, and not the problem itself. Fibroids are masses of estrogen rich cells, so I wondered if I had an imbalance that wasn't allowing me to get pregnant. I finally got pregnant after changing my diet to exclude soy (a phytoestrogen) and all non-organic animal products the month before.

The pregnancy with my 2nd son is where I developed preeclampsia, but it didn't have anything to do with the fibroid. I had no problems with the fibroid for the second full term pregnancy, and even developed another small fibroid about 2 cm with the pregnancy.

Hopefully yours will not cause any problems. Just have them keep an eye on it's size when you get pregnant as they can grow with pregnancy.

Best wishes to you.

jacobkaden

Postby jacobkaden » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:09 am

I have one on the outside too and was told the same thing, that it would not interfere with ttc. My OB said it's common, as women age - didn't like to hear that comment, lol............

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:25 pm

I too had one on the outside of my uterus - it didn't interfere with my pregnancy at all. My OB watched it on ultrasounds, but I think more of to see if it was growing, not thinking that it would interfere.

Take care.

willow&sam

Postby willow&sam » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:09 pm

I have several fibroids that are, if I remember correctly, within the uterus wall. They've been there since before my first pregnancy and I'm currently pregnant with #3. I have a vague recollection that they may have been an issue if the placenta attached too close to them, but it hasn't been an issue and the OB hasn't even mentioned them.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”