Chances of needing Mag?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mkvh

Re : Chances of needing Mag?

Postby mkvh » Mon Jun 30, 2008 02:26 pm

korie--I had the same feelings about my old OB. Note old ;) I was NOT magged with pressures over 180/120 and had been complaining of severe, constant headache for 8 days. I also had gone from trace to +2 on a dipstick in one day. After delivery, the headache really kicked in, and I spiked a fever. Still no mag.

Then, I was grateful not to have to deal with mag. In hindsight, I'm grateful that nothing bad happened, as I should havd had it. Firmly in the "better safe than sorry" camp now!

korie

Postby korie » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:48 am

I will do a search and see what I can find. Yes it is terrible being worried my nurses or dr will mess this up. I have had consults with MFM's about 1 x a month. I live pretty far from them though so it is difficult for me to have them care for me. they have made my medication decisions though. My dr seems to think she will be fine and doesn't check with them often. I sort of trust her. I think she will be fine if nothing goes wrong, which isn't the most reassuring thought.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:36 pm

Hyperreflexia is an indicator of central nervous system (CNS) involvement, and I think it's supposed to be a fairly good marker for eclampsia (along with bad headache), which is what the mag's supposed to prevent. That said, we don't have a whole lot of good indicators for eclamptic seizures; the word "preeclampsia" comes from the Greek word for "lightening" because it comes out of nowhere so fast.

Heather (Blythe) has made several posts in the past talking about the decision to mag mild patients that you might be able to find with the search function up in the top right corner.

It's not fun to feel like you're second-guessing your caregivers. I can't remember; have you had a consult with a MFM?

korie

Postby korie » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:58 pm

Well my dr is on vacation this week, but I asked the other OB how they determine if I will get mag again or not. He said that they base it on hyperflexia (sp?). That seems like sort of a vague way to decide! I will ask my dr who would actually be the one deciding, but he also said they won't base it on my BPs. Does that seem normal? I am really scared to have my c-section at this small hospital and worry they aren't going to make the right decisions when it counts.

wdersley

Postby wdersley » Sun Jun 29, 2008 09:51 pm

I was on mag for number 2 for a couple of days from 4 hours into delivery. The decision was made during delivery because of uncontrolled BPs, they particularly focussed on a MAP (Mean Arterial Pressure) reading which had to be below 115. Mine was reading 134 so I was rigged up to an ECG and had IV mad aswell as some other BP IV meds. I too was very out of it and we did lose baby's heart rate and thransferred to theatre for emergency delivery two hours late as BP was still not coming down. Hope you don't get Mag but if you do its for good reason they don't give it lightly! All the best for next week and the arrival of a healthy baby. God bless.

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:20 am

I was put on Mag as a precaution with Izzy. I Had high pressures the morning I went to L and D, but they were "okay" in the hospital, but I had cns issues and protien. It was nasty but I was glad to have the protection.

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Fri Jun 27, 2008 02:04 pm

I had mag the first time, non the second. I do not know what my doc's guidelines were for the mag but it had to be pushing 150/110 when it started (since I was sitting at 150/98 at the beginning of my labor)

My BP was well controlled positionally in my 2nd labor, so as long as I stayed on my side I stayed under 130/80, moved to my back or sat up and I was 140/93.

mom29

Postby mom29 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:49 am

quote:Originally posted by summerw77

I didn't have mag! I delivered at 36 weeks. Why aren't they delivering you at 36 weeks on the nose, with how long you've been sick?

It can depend a lot upon the hospitals, at mine the drs. need approval from a MFM dr. before doing an induction prior to 39 weeks.

I suspect getting mag. also depends on the drs. preferences and experiences dealing with pre e. My MFM seemed to expect that I would be on mag., but my reg. OB did not put me on it.

korie

Postby korie » Thu Jun 26, 2008 06:57 pm

Summerw77,
I am not delivering right at 36 weeks because I am at a smaller hospital and I scheduled this pretty late since I never thought I would go this far. That was the only day open that whole week. My dr was really good about letting me decide on how far I wanted to go though. I know lots of drs that might make me wait until at least 37 weeks. She acutally told me she would do my surgery any time I wanted now. I am just going to try and hold out a little longer so that I can get a baby that will come home with me. I seem to still be progressing, but I am hoping slow enough to make just under 2 weeks now! Also, the baby is doing great. I have 2 more BPP and 4 NSTs before my c-section date, so we will know if things are going bad, but I am not as worried about her health because she has been so active and is a decent size.

patty

Postby patty » Thu Jun 26, 2008 02:04 pm

For me it depended on whether I had protein or not. The only delivery I had that I was not given mag was my little girl where I never spilled any protein adn they just considered it PIH not PE.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”