Bedrest for PIH?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
aldamb

Re : Bedrest for PIH?

Postby aldamb » Tue Jul 08, 2008 05:37 pm

I was on bedrest with PIH from 26 weeks until 34 weeks. At 34 weeks my BPs were good and it's past the real danger zone, so I begged to get off. My doctor has allowed me to go back, and with a few exceptions, it's been fine. I'm now at 38 weeks and expect to have Thumper next week. So far, I'm pre-e free.

cheer34

Postby cheer34 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 03:04 pm

Well, I'm back from the doctor and my BP was a nice, low 130/80 (pre-pregnancy I run 120/80) and not even a trace of protein...I'm in MUCH better shape at almost 29 weeks than I was with my son.

No bedrest yet, and the doctor might actually even let me take my vacation to the shore in 2 weeks (my parents and sister are traveling with me, so I'd have lots of help!)

a&amama

Postby a&amama » Tue Jul 08, 2008 02:30 pm

I wasnt put on bedrest when I developed PIH the second time. I was *just* 36 weeks (that day or something) and we decided to induce. My reflexes were already extremely brisk and since Id suffered seizures and very sudden onset in a previous pregnancy the benefit of inducing a tiny bit early outweighed the risks.

Best of Luck to you. Have someone pack a cooler for you the beginning of each day! 3 year olds LOVE picnics! Rent movies, do puzzles... Make it work! It'll be worth it in the end of course, best of luck!

jen44

Postby jen44 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 01:35 pm

I was on bedrest during my last pregnancy for quite some time and I was diagnosed "just" PIH. No protein but high blood pressure that seemed to rise each week more and more. Strict bedrest for about 4 weeks and then 4 more weeks in the hospital until I delivered at 36 weeks. I believe, for me, bedrest earned me extra time and if it works for you - do it as best you can because it can be a lifesaver.

jeansmommy

Postby jeansmommy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:54 am

Yep, I've been on strict bedrest for PIH since week 29 (I'm almost at week 34 now). My proteins have all been in the normal range as well as my blood work. However, my BPs went as high as 180/110 in the doctor's office, and I have been put on 1500 mg of aldomet daily. My BPs are slowly starting to creep up again, as yesterday at my doc's office it was 146/88, but still in the "controllable" range for now!

It is hard when my daughter is home from preschool on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but we make it work. She is only 4, and we are having a harder time dealing with her emotional issues of her being confused as to why mommy can't go out and do things with her and has to be in bed all the time.

melly

Postby melly » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:18 am

Maybe you can have someone buy you a secret small toy stash that you can pull out in case of emergency. Rent a bunch of kids movies. Maybe someone can double check that there isn't anything your 3 yo can get into so you won't have to chase him around. Is he potty trained yet? Even with lots of help, my ds would climb all over me and still wanted mommy to do things for him. I'm sure it'll be challenging, but hopefully it'll help you keep that baby cooking.

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:02 am

I've been on bedrest with all my pregnancies, including "just" the PIH ones. [PIH in itself can be deadly and it has to be taken seriously too :) ].

Bedrest did bring my BPs down a bit when I was able to do it [which wasn't often actually, with no help and a bunch of kids].

Anyway, I think it IS sort of up to the doc's discretion, but I think it is pretty common to go on bedrest for high BPs alone.

Kelly

cheer34

Postby cheer34 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:41 am

I'll be 29 weeks on Friday, which coincidentally is when I got put on bedrest with DS. At that time though, my BP was 150/90 and I was spilling protein already. I made it 4 more weeks until I was spilling 12 grams of protein and they induced me at 33 weeks.

Bedrest with a 3 year old is going to be.....interesting....

melly

Postby melly » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:19 am

I was on bedrest with pih. I had pe with my first and it looked like I was heading that way again when I was put on bedrest. It wasn't easy, especially with a 2 1/2 yo, but I did have help. I made it 3 weeks before we induced at 37 weeks and didn't develop pe. My bp's and protien both went down.

Do you have someone who can help at home? I had to learn to let go and live with messes. DH did his best, but he was working from home and taking care of me, my son and our home. I didn't want to go on bedrest either, but having a healthy baby girl and no pe made it all worthwhile. It also made dh appreciate me alot more!

When is your due date? With your history of severe pe and your bp's responding well to bedrest, I would think it is a good idea to give it a try. Stock up on some books you've been meaning to read and movies to watch. Anything to pass the time and to take your mind off of being on bedrest. Get a cooler and stock it with drinks and snacks, pasta salad, sandwiches, anything to keep you off your feet as much as possible if there isn't someone at home with you during the day.

I hope you can keep pe at bay and have a healthy baby!

4mybabies

Postby 4mybabies » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:07 am

I was put on bedrest for my last pregnancy with PIH. I never had any protein or symptoms. When my bp's really shot up 160+/100+ I was sent to the hospital for the weekend for a 24 urine and bloodwork. A few days after being released at 37 weeks to the day, I was scheduled for a c-section for pih alone.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”