D-Dimmer (Dimer?)

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jenndola
Forum Moderator

Re : D-Dimmer (Dimer?)

Postby jenndola » Wed Jul 09, 2008 02:01 pm

Here's a nice explanation of D-dimer: http://www.labtestsonline.org/understan ... /test.html

In HELLP they'll often check the D-dimer to make sure you're not going into Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation (DIC), which is a condition where your clotting factors are used throughout your body and leave you with no clotting factors to actually do what they're supposed to do (stop bleeding). This puts you at risk for bleeding out. I know I started to develop DIC in my HELLP pregnancy.

So basically, if your D-dimer is off, it's bad news all around.

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Wed Jul 09, 2008 09:13 am

D-dimer is also used sort of as a guide- if it is positive they will do scans, venous dopplers, etc to look for a clot. The thing about d-dimer is that it can elevate for bruising, etc too since that is part of the clotting process. Usually if it is a concerning clot though it will be much more elevated.

mada

Postby mada » Tue Jul 08, 2008 02:51 pm

A d-dimer is usually ordered to check for a clot particulary a PE or pulmonary emboli. It gives you a risk factor number.

a&amama

D-Dimmer (Dimer?)

Postby a&amama » Tue Jul 08, 2008 02:44 pm

Its one of those.

When I went in to see my OB the day I turned 36 wks, I knew things were going bad, and Id most likely end up in the hospital.

My bp was elevated,the swelling and headaches were starting. He sent me right over to start an induction. Because of my terribly brisk reflexes, he wanted the baby out now. I think he was afraid Id begin to seize...

Anyway, we started the induction abot 1pm. By 6 or 7 he came in to let me know that by my labwork, it was definitely time. I think he probably checked Liver Enzymes, but he said soemthing about a d-dimmer? Ive tried googling, but Im not finding anything that gives me a clear understanding.

Does anyone know what Im talking about ? LOL

Return to “Ask the Experienced”