Post Reply FAQ Members Login

New With Questions *Labetatol Questions

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : New With Questions *Labetatol Questions

Postby trying4two » Wed Jul 16, 2008 06:12 am

by trying4two (23 Posts), Wed Jul 16, 2008 06:12 am

Short update. This may be all over the place, I'm sorry!

I went in today and my BP was 166/90! They made me lay on my side for a while and took it again and it was 166/86. I obviously wasn't expecting that. It's never good when the nurse leaves and says, 'okay... she's going to come in and tell you what's going to happen now'. My OB was going to admit me to Antepartum right away and then she listened to her heartbeat, which was absolutely crazy. It was 'tachy in the 180's'... so she sent me to L&D first for monitoring. By WHEELCHAIR! She told me that I would probably be delivering today (which didn't happen obviously) or by Friday (when I'm 37 weeks) for sure and that I should make arrangements as such because I wouldn't be going home until I delivered. She goes on vacation Wednesday-Monday, so I would have the luck of the draw w/ my C-Section if we deliver soon.

I have a ton of fluid and swelling (+5 pounds worth) and Hyperflexia (?) where my reflexes spaz out when they hit them (which is just WEIRD to watch). My headache just won't go away for long.. and I go in and out of phases of seeing either bright flashes or dark spots. Sometimes I feel almost completely normal, and other times I can just feel my blood pressure climbing.

So anyway, I went to L&D and her heartrate came down into the 150's on my side and she finally reacted a little after some juice. My BP there was BIZARRELY normal.. which obviously wasn't accurate. They were taking it on my side there, and I didn't buy it at all. Then they moved me to Antepartum and took it and it was 150/100 (the RIGHT WAY) and around there repeatedly, so of course that's more accurate!

I saw the Perinatologist quickly (I like him) and he basically said that there's no reason to keep her in past 37 weeks if my health is compromised, whether it's Preeclampsia or Chronic Gestational Hypertension, and that they're both equally dangerous. He's going to do an u/s in the morning (Wed) to check her weight to make sure she's okay for delivery now. I told him, 'but if I lay PERFECTLY STILL and DON'T MOVE, then everything is kind of okay!'. He laughed and said, 'that's no life!'. At least I still have a sense of humor!

They did another HELLP Panel, which came back okay (except that I'm anemic, which I usually am) and I'm doing a 24-hour urine which I should be finished w/ tomorrow afternoon (tomorrow meaning Wed.). He said that if it comes back at/above 500, then we'll have a baby by Friday. I'm not sure what happens if it doesn't. My urine dips come back totally negative, but they also came back negative last week when my 24-hour number was 178 (which I think SHOULD come up something on a strip, right?). My urine seems more "bubbly" than it was before, though I'm not sure if that means anything.

I've been contracting all day, but I've been doing that for the entire third trimester. The nurse actually said, 'really?! that would be ideal! if you just went into labor on your own'. Ha! I'm a C-Section case, but I guess it would make the decision of "when" easier if my body called the shots. I doubt that my cervix has made any progress, contracting is just what I "do" - but we'll see.

My BP's here have been anywhere from 150/100 to 138/83, but then again.. they're not taking it right 90% of the time. The nurse who is on now usually takes it when she's also moving the bed down to check the heartbeat AND taking my temperature.. so I have no idea how accurate those are. But when the nurses switch, I'm going to insist on them doing it the right way. They don't have me taking the Labetatol now because they wanted to get accurate pressures.

I'm more comfy now that my husband brought me some comfy clothes and my laptop, but the bed is terrible - so I have only slept for a few hours. They did offer me Ambien, but I've never had sleeping medicine before and wasn't sure if I would like how it made me feel. I'm on a normal diet and the menu isn't terrible, so that's more than I expected. They don't really bother me here. In Antepartum there are no monitors, they just come in for vitals/heartbeat checks every hour or more. So you just kind of lay around all day and do whatever. I have the air set super low and everyone keeps commenting on how cold it is in here, but I'm literally sweating. No idea if that's related or not.

Tomorrow I'll have to take something to help me sleep for sure, because there's not a whole lot to do at 5am except update all of you! Overall, I'm okay. I just want US to be okay. Her mostly. Both of us, preferably. So we'll see. I'll try to update more when I have some more information.

*Oh, and thank you all SO MUCH again.. I'm really glad that I went in! I told my OB about her nurse and she really seemed like she had no idea. I actually broke down a little about it, but it was just a moment of relief in that I wasn't CRAZY and it was all REAL! She said that she would be having a talk with her for sure.
trying4two

Postby fiona » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:14 am

by fiona (5767 Posts), Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:14 am

I'm so glad to hear you've been admitted and delivery is imminent. Bubbly urine is another sign of things going awol, so I wouldn't be surprised if that baby is with you sooner rather than later.

I hope you get your answers today - take care and good luck.

And well done for sticking up for yourself - that nurse needs to be brought back to reality.
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby panguitch02 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:29 am

by panguitch02 (375 Posts), Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:29 am

Glad they are finally taking this seriously and you are in the best place possible!!! I get nervous when women are sent home with so many concerning symptoms. 37 weeks is considered term, so why push your and the baby's health.

BTW...I was in Antepartum for 18 days before delivering and took Ambien every night, except when on mag. I also took it the remaining days in the hospital. It was a lifesaver!!!!!!! It is hard enough to sleep when pregnant, but when they expect you to keep the baby on the monitor 24 hrs and have you BP checked all day and night...ITS IMPOSSIBLE!!!! I was worried that I would have trouble sleeping when I got home without Ambien, but I slept just fine without it...in my own bed.

I hope they also offered a stool softener. The lack of activity causes amazing back-up.

Keep us posted!!!
panguitch02

Postby trying4two » Wed Jul 16, 2008 01:14 pm

by trying4two (23 Posts), Wed Jul 16, 2008 01:14 pm

Just a quick update...

I had an ultrasound this morning w/ the Peri. Fluid was only 5. It was 11 on Thursday. Based on that alone, he recommended delivery Friday. So Friday it will be unless my protein comes back crazy later today. The good news is that her measurements are much different from Thursday... maybe the difference is the techs or position, no idea. She's very cramped and twisted today, but they had her at 6 pounds, 10 ounces and all of her measurements were around 37 weeks (on Thursday they had her head at 39 and abdomen/thigh between 32-24 weeks... for a weight of 6 pounds, 0 ounces... very weird!). So I'm very relieved and hoping that she'll be just fine.

BP has been in the 130's/80's as long as I don't move. Head is still pounding, so we'll see what my protein comes back at later today. Thank you for all of the good thoughts everyone!
trying4two

Postby aundapenner » Wed Jul 16, 2008 01:24 pm

by aundapenner (1624 Posts), Wed Jul 16, 2008 01:24 pm

Wow. Friday isn't so far away ... here's to a healthy delivery for both of you!
aundapenner

Postby trish » Wed Jul 16, 2008 02:23 pm

by trish (2949 Posts), Wed Jul 16, 2008 02:23 pm

Glad you are in the hospital but what are they waiting around for? Why not just get that baby out? She's already at a good date and weight it seems.
I wish you as stress free as possible birth but remember to watch for PE symptoms and signs PP too. As much as we'd like to have birth "fix" things that darn PE can still cause issues PP.
Take care!
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trying4two » Wed Jul 16, 2008 09:27 pm

by trying4two (23 Posts), Wed Jul 16, 2008 09:27 pm

My protein came back not much higher than it was last week. Very strange. BP has been in the 140's/80's for the most part today. So we're still looking at Friday unless something else happens between now and then. I really don't think that it's hit me yet!
trying4two

Postby joejula » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:16 pm

by joejula (56 Posts), Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:16 pm

Im so glad that you finally stood up for yourself. Their is no reason to keep that baby in any longer. I hope you get to see your little one soon.
joejula

Postby melly » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:56 pm

by melly (473 Posts), Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:56 pm

My experience with Ambien was also positive. I didn't feel groggy or out of it when I woke up and it was the only night I got any good rest in the hospital. I hope things go smoothly with your delivery. I can't wait to hear that all is well and baby is here!
melly

Postby trying4two » Thu Jul 17, 2008 09:24 am

by trying4two (23 Posts), Thu Jul 17, 2008 09:24 am

Last night was BAD! The Ambien made me VERY out of.. slurring my words, etc. I guess that I finally fell asleep at some point, but then I woke up at 5am feeling really hungover with absolutely no recollection of anything (and had a little emotional breakdown)... and with a terrible migraine. So ya, no more of that for me.. unless I just try one next time.

Before that all happened, I took a shower for the first time. I was quick and then layed down while my hair mostly air-dryed. Then I was up 10 minutes at the most brushing teeth, changing, and drying my hair. I layed back down, ate something, and the nurse came in to do my vitals about 15 minutes later. My BP was 168/96! This is why I can't move! But it had to be done.. it was my last chance to shower and wash my hair until probably Sunday, at the earliest. But anyway, crazy! If I lay here and do nothing, it's been in the 140's/80's most of the time.. so here is where I'll be!
trying4two

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the Experienced