what and why mag

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jenanderson

Re : what and why mag

Postby jenanderson » Fri Aug 01, 2008 01:47 am

I also was in the bad category! Mostly I remember having hot flashes so badly, even my mouth felt hot on the inside. Icky stuff, but we both came through it for the better I would say!

preemomof2

Postby preemomof2 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 00:30 am

I had pree twice...and was on Mag twice...The first time I dont remember how is made me feel..I just know I felt bad...with the second it was aweful...I had horrible flashes I felt like I was on fire. After I delivered the next day they tested my mag levels and they were too high.

willow&sam

Postby willow&sam » Fri Jul 25, 2008 09:52 pm

Just to chime in on the good side - I had mag for 24 hours or so and had no side effects - except they wouldn't remove the catheter while I was on it and therefore I was on a liquid diet and I was HUNGRY!

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Fri Jul 25, 2008 07:39 pm

quote:Originally posted by IloveCow

quote:Originally posted by deerhart

I am the one that had bad side effects, so bad that my doc delivered my second child early just to avoid risking me being on mag again.

my side effects included severe loss of muscle control, memory loss, blackouts, feeling extremely hot, dry mouth, and burns on my skin where the mag seeped through and burnt the metal on my glasses, and the side effects lasted for at least a 1 week after I went off the mag.

That is scary! It felt like fire in my veins, and I also had dry mouth and nose really bad..along with the nausea and headaches too...it was nasty but better than the alternative!

I'm so sorry you had such a horrible reaction! How did it burn the metal on your glasses? That's just scary!

ilovecow

Postby ilovecow » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:59 am

quote:Originally posted by deerhart

I am the one that had bad side effects, so bad that my doc delivered my second child early just to avoid risking me being on mag again.

my side effects included severe loss of muscle control, memory loss, blackouts, feeling extremely hot, dry mouth, and burns on my skin where the mag seeped through and burnt the metal on my glasses, and the side effects lasted for at least a 1 week after I went off the mag.

I'm so sorry you had such a horrible reaction! How did it burn the metal on your glasses? That's just scary!

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:01 am

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Thu Jul 24, 2008 09:59 am

I'm answering late here, but I felt a LOT better once they started me on Mag. It brought my blood pressure down nice and low and I felt tremedously better.

So, not everyone has a nightmare with Mag, though I know many do. Try not to get too worried about it though, because you never know if you will be one with bad side effects or not.

Kelly

bern

Postby bern » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:40 pm

Hi,
My Son Aidan just turned 4 years old July 7th. He was born Healthy at 34 weeks. I had a placental abruption due to my blood pressure. I was put on Magnesium.
I know it was for safety issues and that is the most important thing. But you should be prepared for the chance that you will not feel good.
I was sick as a dog on it. The longer I was on it the worse I felt.
It slowed by body functions down, I couldn't even swallow good. I threw up and was just a mess and bloated. SO, Luckily I was fine, and my son was fine. So if you are just prepared for this possibility it will help you! best of luck!
Bernadette

ilovecow

Postby ilovecow » Wed Jul 16, 2008 02:30 pm

Siri - best of luck to you on your ttc journey. Please do keep us posted, and draw on the strength of the many supportive women here who have been down a similar path.

ilovecow

Postby ilovecow » Wed Jul 16, 2008 02:28 pm

I also thought that 25% seemed so low - but you figure that most women who have no ill effects are less likely to post about it.

Blythe, I hope you don't mind... I'm quoting your response below from a previous thread about mag. I think the thread was called "Mag for Mild Pre-e??" or something like that. Oh, and I got it wrong... it's 24%!!

quote:Despite the evidence around here, the MAGPIE trial lists side effects at 24%:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12057549
1201 of 4999 (24%) women given magnesium sulphate reported side-effects versus 228 of 4993 (5%) given placebo.

I hope that helps a little!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”