Brain Damage from PE?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
msjboof

Re : Brain Damage from PE?

Postby msjboof » Mon Oct 13, 638302 6:49 am

thanks.. i actually found the forum through a friend in Iraq. i am a paramedic and i'm in a EMS forum, was asking about Aldomet and PE and they sent me here.. first time people actually know what i'm talking about.. it's nice.. like i have said.. in the field, we don't see alot related to this until it's seizure time.. the more knowledge i can gain for myself and pass on to others in my field.. the better people can feel about possible having to use EMS.. they saved my life with my daughter.. literally

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Sat Oct 04, 638302 7:00 am

MaryEllen,

Yeah, it sounds very similar. Mine was quite embarrassing - at work I would do things like say "The doctor will do an internal exam to check your popcorn dilation". Now, I *meant* cervical dilation, of course, and I *thought* truly that this was what I said - and it wouldn't be until I saw my student's totally confused faces that I would realize I had said something really wrong!

My kids got to the point that they would just ask me "did you *really* mean you wanted us to go put our toys in the garbage disposal, or did you mean you want us to put them in the toy box?" they got really used to it and now they will just roll their eyes and say "Well, you know mommy is brain damaged!" LOL!

But, the good news is that it is TONS better now - now adays I only do that when I'm really tired. Meeting me today you would not know that I was in such bad shape just 18 months ago. The brain really does have amazing abilities to heal itself!

I hope yours improves steadily and quickly for you too!

And Msjboof - what a terrifying experience you had! I can't even imagine! I'm glad you found the Forum!

Kelly

msjboof

Postby msjboof » Sat Oct 04, 638302 5:30 am

oh no.. i TOTALLY agree.. and I ahve talked to a Dr that had full on eclampsia with seizure also.. as i did and we both had the same things in common. I believe that you do have a stroke of sorts. When seizing, you do not breathe, typically it is short but with the blood pressure added, i'm glad I finally found a place where others have the same things and people don't think i'm losing it..

i woke up feeling fine, started watching tv and went completely blind, i was home alone, called my mom and she rushed to get me.. in the car.. trying to put seat belt on and jaws clenched, full on seizure.. side of road.. huge ordeal mom ended up on side of road passed out... my previous dr didn't do anything diligent.. this time around.. and with my medical knowledge now.. i watch stuff close..

shadow2356

Postby shadow2356 » Sat Oct 04, 638302 3:36 am

Interesting Kelly W. My bp was 220/120 on maximum meds. My norm is about 90/50. You said you switched random words which sounds exactly like what is happening. I'm glad to hear it got better. I don't think it is just new Mommy brain or sleep deprivation, because I think I get a lot more sleep now then when I was pregnant where an hour of uninterrupted sleep was a lot. I hope you have a long and boring pregnancy.

anrmacon

Postby anrmacon » Fri Oct 03, 638302 4:12 pm

I don't know about seizures, but I do know about TIA's. I had one on the way home from delivering #3. My husband and I were talking and all of a sudden, NOTHING! I could not talk for anything. It scared the daylights out of my dh. He said I looked like a fish out of water or something with the dazed expression on my face and my mouth opening and closing over and over. I wasn't able to communicate at all. My mind was racing and I knew something was wrong, but I didn't know what or how to tell my dh to help me. No, my bp wasn't even that high! It doesn't take a large increase in bp to affect your brain. BTW, I too feel less intelligent, but I think a lot of that is just from being a mom.

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Thu Oct 02, 638302 8:57 pm

Well, there is "brain fog" and then there is "brain damage" and they are two different things IMO.

I think most moms have "brain fog" for the first few weeks post partum [at *least* LOL!]. It is commonly called "mommy brain" and I think it is pretty normal - related to sleep deprivation and hormonal fluctuations.

However, you can also have actual brain damage from high blood pressure. You can certainly have a stroke, but you can also get what my Neurologist called "Hypertensive Encephalopathy" which basically means your BP is so high it is damaging your brain [also causing swelling of the brain]. This can be seen at BPs of 160/110 and higher, and it can happen with high BP whether you are pregnant or not.

This is what I was diagnosed with 3 weeks after I had my last baby, after the "brain event" I had [we are guessing Eclamptic Seizure, don't know for sure because nobody witnessed what happened to me].

This causes actual brain damage - problems with memory - severe problems with memory, I have no memory at all of the first 5 or so months of my daughter's life - but also problems with visual/spatial things. For the first few weeks after birth I could not drive, type, read, write, or remember basic things like my phone number or address or the names of loved ones. This gradually got better over time - by 6 months most of the visual/spatial problems were gone. The memory problems [and switching random words, which I was *terrible* about for the first few months] got better over time and are mostly gone. I still have a bad memory, guess I always will, but at least I am functional now. :)

Anyway, yes, high blood pressure [both in and out of pregnancy] can cause serious brain damage. :)

Kelly

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Sep 22, 638302 1:20 pm

hhbeachgurl

Postby hhbeachgurl » Mon Sep 22, 638302 12:36 am

I believe I had "something" happen. I have slight weakness on one side that was not there before and mild cognitive difficulties. I had severe cerebral edema, +4 reflexs and 3 beats of clonus for days befor thye induced. At the end my eyes quit focusing together and still dont. My eye doc said it was due to lack of oxygen to my optical nerves during that time. I am 16 months pp and what I expereicne is not just mommy brain. Even my doc thinks something happened. I have not had a MRil yet because of finacial issues, although I had one before becomming pregnant when dh's facility was intalling a new open one and they need volunteers to scan LOL. I got a brai scan, so I have a baseline one. Hugs to you

mrs.spit

Postby mrs.spit » Mon Sep 22, 638302 12:09 am

My Mum has had both a stroke, and TIA's. They will show up (the clots relating to the parts of the brain that have died) on an MRI.

I understand that problems with your thyroid are quite common after birth, perhaps it's that?

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sun Sep 21, 638302 11:05 pm

I felt like a zombie after my son was born. I was severely anemic, and it took about three months for the prescription iron supplements to kick in.

Being sleep deprived with a new baby isn't good for your memory either. Some forgetfulness or “mommy brain” seems to be fairly common among new moms, whether they had PE or not.

I've also experienced cognitive difficulties or "brain fog" in the past as a hypothyroid symptom. Sometimes pregnancy can trigger or unmask a thyroid problem. I got my brain back after starting on thyroid meds.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”