Can you have labile BP without meds?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
melly

Re : Can you have labile BP without meds?

Postby melly » Mon Dec 01, 638302 5:32 am

Labile pressures are fluctuating...sometimes normal and sometimes high. My ob told me that she often sees this in the period before they start to stay high and continue to climb. Bedrest seemed to keep them in the normal range for awhile for me, but after a few weeks they started to steadily climb and we induced.

purplefrogger

Postby purplefrogger » Mon Dec 01, 638302 5:13 am

I don't want to sound stupid but could someone tell me what LABILE means?

melly

Postby melly » Mon Dec 01, 638302 3:45 am

My bp's were labile starting around 34 weeks and I was not on meds. I was put on bedrest at 34 weeks and my bp's went down for awhile before they started getting steadily higher. We induced at 37 weeks

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Mon Dec 01, 638302 12:43 am

I had labile BPs with my first 4 babies when not on BP meds. With the 5th baby I had labile BPs while on meds - enough to kill a horse even. :) They just kept going higher and higher.

If your BP is going that high on a regular basis, they may treat you with meds regardless of it being labile.

Kelly

aggie95mom

Postby aggie95mom » Sun Nov 30, 638302 6:38 pm

I started having the labile pressures around 33 weeks and was put on meds as a precaution. I did have some instructions, though, about taking my BP before I took my meds because I wasn't always running high and a few times the meds definitely dropped my pressure a bit too much (according to my OB).

I don't know if I would have had more BP checks or not since I went on meds around the same time I was already going to regularly scheduled appointments weekly and NST/BPP at the hospital every Saturday.

hhbeachgurl

Postby hhbeachgurl » Sun Nov 30, 638302 4:57 am

Definitly, I had liable pressures from 27 weeks on. I was never put on bp meds. My pressures definitly trended higher after a few weeks of liable. HUGS to you

haileysmom

Postby haileysmom » Sat Nov 29, 638302 11:28 pm

I had labile BP's during my entire last pregnancy and never developed any of the signs of PE. I had readings as high as 150/105 at OB apts as early as my first trimester but at home, relaxed they were always much lower.

I guess the difference may be that my entire life I've had labile hypertension. Maybe that's why those high readings this time around didn't lead to anything. I had been told by my physician that really the only meds would be for anti anxiety since it's only high during times of stress, otherwise normal. I don't and have never taken any meds for it.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Sat Nov 29, 638302 9:25 pm

Yuck! I was just letting myself get so optimistic :(

Do you know if docs usually treat labile BPs in any way other than increasing BP checks? Or, generally what I should expect if indeed this is what's happening?

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Nov 29, 638302 8:53 pm

Definitely. It's thought to be a sign that you're heading towards higher pressures; a lot of our posters have them before their bp goes up and stays up.

I suppose that some posters on meds might be having their meds wear off somewhat between doses, which can cause swings too. But generally I think of labile bp as a sign that the negotiations between the placenta and your immune system have reached a more tricky stage.

hols537

Can you have labile BP without meds?

Postby hols537 » Sat Nov 29, 638302 8:37 pm

I got some high (for me) BPs last night (worst was 150/92 versus my normal 115ish/70ish). So, today I've been reading a lot about "labile BPs". It seems that in most of the posts I've read, the folks with labile BPs all seemed to already be on BP meds. I was wondering if it's possible for BPs to become labile without already being on meds. I'm also wondering if that's what could be going on for me now.

I was just getting excited that I passed the mark where I was hospitalized the first time and now am scared it's starting again...

Thanks.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”