Slow Growth at 34 weeks

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Slow Growth at 34 weeks

Postby mccoix » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:40 am

I have been recently diagnosed with preeclampsia at 31 weeks. I am now almost 34 weeks and at my growth ultrasound yesterday, the doctor said the babies growth had slowed. All my bpp and tests done weekly show the baby is healthy, but I am concerned about the growth slowing. I got steroid shots a week ago for lung development, and now I go in twice a week for the BPP's. Right now, the baby is in the 18th percentile. Does anyone have any experience with slow growth and the effects it has on the baby? My doctor said the amniotic fluid and the doppler showed normal. How is that possible?
mccoix

Re : Slow Growth at 34 weeks

Postby sonja » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:58 am

Hi and welcome to the PF.

High blood pressure can cause babies to slow down in their growth - that is quiet common around here for the ladies that have been diagnosed with pre-e.

It sounds like your OB is watching you closely. At this point they will start looking for signs that your babe is healthier inside you as opposed to getting out. They will look for things such as distress in the baby as well as a huge drop in size or uneven growth.

34 weeks is a pretty good place to be. We have had lots of babies born at around 34 weeks that have done really well.

Take care and let us know how you are doing.
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby herewegoagain » Tue Aug 05, 2008 01:19 pm

Both my babies were delivered because of low fetal growth due to PE. My son was born at 34 weeks and was 4 pounds. I received the steroid shots as well and I think it made a huge difference. He needed a little oxygen at birth, but was on room air for the duration of his stay in the NICU. He stayed in the hospital for three weeks, but that was mainly due to jaundice, and having to gain some weight with good feedings.
Do you know the size of the baby?
Like Joy says, the doctor tries to determine whether baby is better off inside or outside and it looks like they are monitoring you carefully.
Take care!
herewegoagain

Postby mccoix » Tue Aug 05, 2008 01:23 pm

Thank you ladies! The baby weighs 4 pounds right now. Last growth ultrasound he/she was at 3 lbs 3 ounces. Do you know if it is common for their to be asymmetrical growth-meaning the head is bigger than the abdomen. Dr. said this was mother natures way of making sure the brain was getting developed. Just so nervous as this is our first pregnancy and up until 31 weeks I was fine.
mccoix

Postby panguitch02 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 01:33 pm

Welcome.

DS Jameson had intrauterine restriction of the long bones, which isn't seen often per our Peri and OB. At 28 weeks he was 2-3 weeks behind, but his head and torso measured on schedule. I was diagnosed with PE at 30 weeks, immediately admitted, but they didn't recheck growth until 31 weeks. By that point some of his long bones were 4 weeks behind.

I was handling the PE well, but the docs determined that Jameson would grow better on the outside after 34 weeks. They ended up taking him out at 33wk 1 day due to my rising BP.

We were told that if the IUGR was caused by the PE that he would catch up by 2 years old. When he arrived he was underweight for his gestational age but looked proportionate. He spent 5 weeks in the NICU due to breathing issues, but it doing wonderful and catching up with his growing.

My dopplars looked good too, but up to 28 weeks I was very very active, so who knows what the blood flow does under physical stress. Maybe the dopplars are "good enough" but not wonderful.

Its great that you are at 34 weeks and 18th percentile is not bad. I think I read that they start to worry if growth falls below 5th percentile.

Are you on bedrest?
panguitch02

Postby hols537 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 01:53 pm

My son was measuring 9th %tile when I was hospitalized at 30 weeks. He was delivered at 32 weeks mainly due to very low amniotic fluid. Before that, he had been doing well, except for his size. He was small (3lbs 2oz) when he was born, but had a fairly short stay in the NICU and is now nearly 1 1/2 and was 85th %tile for height and 25th %tile for weight at his last check (he takes after Daddy - tall and skinny). Like the others have said, the docs watch to see when the baby will do better on the outside than they're doing on the inside. Keep us posted!
hols537

Postby melly » Tue Aug 05, 2008 01:59 pm

My son's growth had slowed at my 34 week appt too. At that point I had no signs of PE. My ob sent me to a medical university hospital for a detailed u/s. It showed that he was still healthy, but he had fallen behind in his growth. At my next appt at 36 weeks I had gained 10 lbs from swelling, my bps were suddenly high and I had protien in my urine. I was admitted overnight to see if my bps would go down. The next day we induced because my bps were still really high and my ob said ds would be better out than in since his growth had slowed. He was 5lbs at 36 weeks and he went home with me. He is now almost 3 and off the charts for height and 75th percentile for weight! So hard to imagine he was ever so small.

I hope you can make it a couple more weeks. Rest on your left side as much as you are able to.
melly

Postby mccoix » Tue Aug 05, 2008 02:01 pm

Yes, I have been out on bedrest since they diagnosed me with PE at 31 weeks. My blood pressure has been in the 116-130 range since resting and at my last dr. appt no protein was found in my urine. It seems like everything was under control with the mild PE, and everything is fine with my weekly BPP's, until yesterday when they said the growth had slowed down.
mccoix

Postby amanda » Tue Aug 05, 2008 03:26 pm

I was delivered for fetal indicators as well. My little one was 2pds 13 oz but was estimated to be the size that you were given. She was tiny but she had no problems at all - NICU for 3 weeks and then home. No extra oxygen, no extra anything - just needed time to grow.

As far as asymetrical I was told what you were told, that the concentration goes to the head and the abdomen since the body knows, to give the nutrients there. We were more symetrically IUGR but that hasn't caused any problems as of yet.

I started having trouble around when you did and my dopplers went from bad to worse, that's why I was delivered. It sounds like your peri/OB is watching you closely - I made it to 33/5 before I delivered.

Good luck!
amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby joejula » Tue Aug 05, 2008 03:58 pm

I had an ultrasound done at 23 weeks and my little girl measured in the 56 percentile and at my last one at 28 weeks she measured in the 22 percentile. I go back this thursday and see what she is at. Im kind of nervous and hoping that she is doing better. But we will see.
joejula

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced