Slow Growth at 34 weeks

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
preemomof2

Re : Slow Growth at 34 weeks

Postby preemomof2 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 02:51 pm

Congratulations for making it this far! You're little one should be just perfect. I had my first at 36w on the nose.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Sun Aug 24, 2008 00:03 am

I can answer that last one :). I had a lung maturity amnio with my daughter at 37 weeks on the nose, and we had the section about three hours later. The amnio will be much like an ultrasound so the u/s tech and doctor can locate a good-sized and accessible fluid pocket. First, they'll cover your belly with betadine and prep the area. They'll extract a sample and send it to the lab. Assuming they find a good pocket and the location of your placenta, they'll be in and out. Different offices/labs have different capabilities. With DS, it took over four hours to get the results. With DD, I was at a busy MFM practice, and I had the results within 40 minutes. You can also expect to be hooked up to the monitors for about an hour after the amnio. Hope that helps! And I hope you're meeting your healthy little one very soon!

shadow2356

Postby shadow2356 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:05 pm

My daughter was born at 34 weeks and was very small for her gestational age. I was told she was under the 5th percentile. She was in the NICU for 16 days, on O2 for the first two. She grew much faster outside of me than she would inside and at 71/2 months has no developmental delays. She had the same thing with a smaller body than head. It is a defense mechanism for the baby. Everything is totally normal now and was shortly after her birth. As scary as it all is, at 36 weeks your baby should be in really good shape.

mccoix

Postby mccoix » Sat Aug 23, 2008 06:51 pm

Hi everyone-update...I am now 36 weeks and 3 days and at my last growth scan, the growth went up to 25% from 18% and the abdomen and the head were back in sync! Whew....Blood pressure is still okay, but not great, and baby is still breech, so I go for an amniocentesis on Monday for fetal lung maturity test. If that shows the lungs are mature, I am scheduled for a c-section on Tuesday morning. All scary, but I hope that since the c-section is scheduled for one day shy of my 37 week mark, I am okay. Anyone have any input either on what to expect for the amnio for lung maturity at almost 37 weeks and c-sections?

rachaelann

Postby rachaelann » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:21 am

hi there...just wanted to chime in here. i went in for an us at 35 weeks with my ds, his weight at that time was 4lbs 5oz. the ultrasound showed that his stomach area was about 3 weeks behind where his head was. the doc told me the same thing...that all nutrients were going to his brain for development. from what i remember, and my memory fails me often :), my doctor said they dont get too concerned until there is a 5-6 week difference. have they done a doppler sonogram to check blood flow yet? how have your labs been? keep us posted.

blythe

Postby blythe » Wed Aug 06, 2008 09:00 am

Welcome! I just wanted to add a couple articles for you about "asymmetrical" IUGR if you need more information.

http://www.netwellness.org/healthtopics/pregnancy/qa10.cfm
Intrauterine Growth Restriction (IUGR) is a term to describe a fetus whose weight is below the 10th percentile for gestational age. To further classify IUGR, it is sometimes categorized as symmetric or asymmetric IUGR.

Symmetric IUGR, or a uniformly small fetus, is usually due to factors present early in the pregnancy such as genetic factors, infection or because the parents are small people destined to have a small child.

Asymmetric IUGR is more common. On ultrasound, asymmetric IUGR fetuses have small abdomens compared to their heads. This occurs because fetuses try to conserve oxygen and nutrients for their brain at the expense of fat. The usual reason for asymmetric IUGR is poor functioning of the placenta due to either maternal hypertension, preeclampsia or any condition that might cause constriction of the blood vessels to the placenta.

It is important to be aware of IUGR so that the pregnancy can be monitored closely. If growth of the fetus tails off, induction of labor is sometimes necessary. If not monitored, there is a risk of stillbirth. It is difficult to diagnose IUGR with a single ultrasound because, even in the best hands, there is a 10% error in calculating fetal weight. IUGR often results in a perfectly normal baby who is just small for its age.

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/intrauterine_growth_retardation.jsp
(after 32 weeks of development), growth occurs quickly and the baby may gain as much as 7 ounces per week. If the delicate process of development and weight gain is disturbed or interrupted, the baby can suffer from restricted growth....Asymmetrical IUGR may occur when the unborn baby experiences a problem during later development. While not true for all asymmetrical cases, doctors think that sometimes the placenta may allow the brain to get more oxygen and nutrition while the liver gets less....The growth that occurs after birth cannot be predicted with certainty based on the size of the baby when it is born. Infants with asymmetrical IUGR are more likely to catch up in growth after birth than are infants who suffer from prolonged symmetrical IUGR.

From what I understand (though I'm not a doctor!) is that IUGR means the PE is affecting baby more than you at the moment, and at some point baby might do better in the NICU than "inside". Your doctor sounds like he is watching you closely and will determine when that might have to happen. I hope you get many more weeks of being pregnant!!

Let us know if you have more questions, keep us updated on you and the your baby, and hang in there!!!

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:37 pm

Good luck! You got some great information, just want to add please continue doing your kick counts. Morning and night. That is the most important thing you can do to help your little one. =) =) Also print a copy of signs and symptoms and if you get any new symptoms call to report them to your dr.

34 weeks is a great place to be, and 35 would be even better! Fingers crossed for you!

mccoix

Postby mccoix » Tue Aug 05, 2008 07:15 pm

Thanks everyone for your stories and thoughts! I will keep you posted and let you know how everything turns out.

panguitch02

Postby panguitch02 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 03:59 pm

Keep up the good "bed rest" work. 4lb and 34 weeks is great! Keep us posted and check out the signs & symptoms page (sorry I don't have the link) b/c PE is progressive.

joejula

Postby joejula » Tue Aug 05, 2008 03:58 pm

I had an ultrasound done at 23 weeks and my little girl measured in the 56 percentile and at my last one at 28 weeks she measured in the 22 percentile. I go back this thursday and see what she is at. Im kind of nervous and hoping that she is doing better. But we will see.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”