Q's for Mirena Users

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
amym

Re : Q's for Mirena Users

Postby amym » Thu Aug 31, 638305 1:31 pm

I spotted for two months pretty much nonstop, although it was very light. But annoying. Then it all went away, and I get a period (much, much lighter than usual) every month. However, it sticks around for eight or nine days, which is weird. I am still breastfeeding a bit, and I also just got the Mirena placed Feb. 20 or so. My sister is a doc and places a lot of these, and she promises that after six months to a year, the spotting gets better, the periods get lighter and shorter, and all will be well.

I have not had a problem with weight gain but wonder if the thing is causing my tummy to stick out a bit more (kind of like a bloating thing). It also could be me eating too much!

I would call the insertion a moment of discomfort. I did have two vaginal births, though. I thought the insertion was less painful than being checked for dilation before childbirth.

Good luck! Remember, you can always give it a go and have it taken out if you don't like it, but probably wouldn't want to do it too fast unless your insurance is covering it.

haileysmom

Postby haileysmom » Tue Aug 22, 638305 3:39 pm

I agree, I've been through enough w/ my two pregnancies and a vasectomy is not any big major surgery or anything. My husband will have one done, it's just a matter of when. I know I don't want any more kids but I'm a "what if" kind of person and have and issue w/ things that are really permanent.... that's why I didn't get a tubal and have never had the nerve to get a tattoo:)

Everyone has a different story about their IUD so I guess I won't really know for sure what to expect. I'm pretty sure I'll be in for some pain though. W/ the copper IUD I'm worried about side effects but w/ Mirena I'm worried about the weight gain. I'm going to cancel my appointment and give it some more thought. Thanks so much for all of the info. I'm glad I didn't rush into this.

kelly w

Postby kelly w » Tue Aug 22, 638305 9:44 am

My sister had a really rough time with the Mirena, but she's never had kids. Hers hurt unbelievably going in and she cramped horribly and bled for 3 months after it was placed - and she is NOT a wuss about pain. She stuck with it and hers doesn't bother her now, but it was really awful at the time.

I vote for the "V" too - you took on the risk of the pregnancies and bringing the children into the world. A vasectomy has MUCH less risk to your husband than pretty much any birth control devices are going to have for you. I think the man should "Man Up!" and take care of it. ;)

Kelly

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Aug 22, 638305 9:22 am

I had mine inserted at about 8 weeks post partum....but that is after a vaginal delivery. C-section girls are usually told to come during their period...like Heather said. Docs are used to that kind of thing tho....

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Aug 22, 638305 12:42 am

I've got these newish studies on the cancer thing, which suggest that an IUD is probably *protective* against endometrial cancer (so ask your doc; new studies come out all the time):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18261926

Based on the random effects model, a protective crude association between IUD use and endometrial cancer was observed (odds ratio [OR] = 0.39; 95% confidence interval [CI] = 0.29-0.51; heterogeneity p < 0.001) with a pooled adjusted risk of OR = 0.54 (95% CI, 0.47-0.63; heterogeneity p = 0.40). A decreased risk of endometrial cancer also was seen for increased years of IUD use (OR for 5 years of use 0.88; 95% CI = 0.84-0.92; n = 5; heterogeneity p = 0.14), increased years since last IUD use (OR for 5 years of use 0.91; 95% CI, 0.86-0.95; n = 4; heterogeneity p = 0.02), and increased years since first IUD use (OR for 5 years of use 0.89; 95% CI, 0.83-0.95; n = 4; heterogeneity p = 0.04).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17531619

We found no evidence of increased risk for neoplasia with IUD use. Nine case-control studies and one cohort study found reduced risks for endometrial cancer with having ever used an IUD (pooled adjusted odds ratio=0.6, 95% confidence interval=0.4-0.7). No trend in associations was observed with characteristics of IUD use, type of IUD and histologic type of cancer. Four case-control studies found no association between IUD use and risk for cervical cancer. One study found no increased incidence of breast cancer among levonorgestrel-releasing IUS users as compared with the general population in Finland. Finally, three studies found no association between IUD use and occurrence of hydatidiform moles or malignant sequelae.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Mon Aug 21, 638305 5:20 pm

I suggest the big V LOL! If you aren't going ot hvae more, why not just let him get snipped? You carried 2 babies into this world, it's the least he can do. Had I not had a csection/tubal, you better believe mine would be snipped. =)

haileysmom

Postby haileysmom » Mon Aug 21, 638305 5:00 pm

Interesting about having it done during your period...... at least then I could wait to have it done rather than rush to have it done while my cervix is still soft. Even though I doubt it will still be soft at 10 weeks.

I still don't know what to do. I'm pretty comfortable what I've read about it being safe w/ a clotting disorder but I'm still not sure about the whole weight gain thing. I'm working really really hard to shed the baby weight.

Also my OB told me that I have a tilted uterus that they would *fix* during insertion.........so a little additional pain to look forward to! I know one thing for sure, if I do get it done I'll be taking not only the motrin 800 they recommend but also some Norco I have left over from my c-section recovery!

mrs.spit

Postby mrs.spit » Mon Aug 21, 638305 5:00 pm

I had one of the copper ones, and I loved it. But, yes, it hurt like mad going in.

There is some concern about women who don't menstuate on Mirena - that can cause issues, and can be connected to uterine cancer. It was quite imperitive that I bleed regularly, so an IUD had to be followed with provera to induce periods every 3 months.

I didn't gain any weight.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Mon Aug 21, 638305 4:29 pm

My friend had one put in this year, then taken right back out (within 6 months). She said that it does hurt going in. Also, she did gain weight. Not a ton but maybe 8 pounds? But she had severe pain from it and then it was taken out and instantly pain was gone. But that is jsut one experience. =)

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Mon Aug 21, 638305 3:52 pm

Well, I have the answer to that -- but you're not going to like it ;). My doctors (and others whom I've spoken with) preferred that I come in *during* my period, because the cervix opens ever so slightly during your period and it makes insertion easier. I had my pp check-up at five weeks, but they wouldn't insert it then stating that it would be better to have it placed during my period and to call them on the first day. The next week I started, called them, and they got me in two days later.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”