Bell's Palsey and pre-e?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jklinemn

Re : Bell's Palsey and pre-e?

Postby jklinemn » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:20 am

Hi. I also had left sided numbness, mostly in my face and arm. I had a hypertensive crisis about 24 hours after delivery, and when my blood pressure spiked I instantly felt it. Similar to the other girl, I could move my face and it looked normal. They diagnosed it as cerebral spasms. The numbness continued very strongly for some time, and was always worse when my blood pressure was elevated. It's been six month since my daughter was born, and I can still feel it at times. I can definitely feel it if my blood pressure is fluctuating. They also gave me xanax, because sometimes I focus on it too much and it causes me some anxiety. I'm also still on blood pressure meds.

The neurologist didn't have a lot of answers, only to keep my blood pressure controlled. But, I would recommend starting there. They did several MRIs of head, neck (to rule out carotid problems) - which were normal. There is also a nerve that runs along that same facial pathway, which perhaps might be inflamed and injured after her vessel ruptured. Anyway, good luck, it can be incredibly frustrating and overwhelming. One girl I read about was numb for 3 months.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:51 am

Echoing Julie. She should be looked at by a neurologist - just to cover all bases.

julie f

Postby julie f » Thu Oct 30, 2008 01:40 am

Heather,
I lost feeling on the left side of my face the day of delivery and it took a few weeks to return. You could not tell from looking at me, the left side of my face would move alongside with the right. So, not exactly the same but we we've heard a few explanations. We've been told cerebral swelling by most doctors and stroke by one.

If in her shoes, I'd want to check in with a neurologist.

heather100

Bell's Palsey and pre-e?

Postby heather100 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 01:10 am

Hey guys!!! It's been awhile. You all helped me so much during my 2nd pregnancy that was free of pre-e!!! WAHOO!

Anyhow, there is a person on one of my forums whose friend just had a baby. The baby was full term and is fine but she had a burst blood vessel in one of her eyes from high BP and also her "left face, mouth and forehead are not in the right position, they all look weird."

I'm thinking Bell's Palsey as I read it can be related to pre-e and is definitely related to pregnancy.

Anyone have experience with this? I did a search and Meg's sis had this but that's about all I could fine.

Thanks in advance!!!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”