iugr?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : iugr?

Postby caryn » Sat May 15, 638315 5:55 pm

The tricky thing about IUGR is that sometimes IUGR babies aren't from preeclamptic pregnancies. And babies from preeclamptic pregnancies have weights that fall in what they call a U-shaped curve. That means lots of small ones and lots of big ones for gestational age, and not so many who are average weight.

As I understand it, in some PE pregnancies the placenta is initially shallowly implanted, and those babies tend to grow small, because they get less nutrition from the beginning. And in some PE pregnancies, the mother's body just cannot handle the level of inflammation pregnancy causes at some point, and tips over into superimposed preeclampsia, and those babies tend to grow big, because one reason the mother's body couldn't handle them was that they were more demanding than average.

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Sat May 15, 638315 2:38 pm

I thought the IUGR was connected to the PIH or high blood pressure restricting the flow of nutrients......and that the majority of PE babies were small for birth weight, since most of the growth was in the head and weight was head heavy.....since the earlier deliveries or problematic pregnancies caused the in utero growth to push the brain development. Maybe I am wrong, or dreamt that!

christine lyn

Postby christine lyn » Sat May 15, 638315 4:44 am

Thanks Alanna for the articles they were very interesting.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sat May 15, 638315 12:25 am

quote:Originally posted by christine lyn

Are you saying PE is caused from babies being too big?

That is one theory. And there is a study that linked PE and gestational hypertension with increased incidence of LGA (large for gestational age) and SGA (small for gestational age) infants. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1092 ... d_RVDocSum

They are still doing research trying to determine the exact cause preeclampsia, and there very well could be more than one cause.

There is a lot of great info on current PE research & theories in the "Announcement & Preeclampsia in the News" forum, and if you'd like to read more about the biological struggle angle I think the following two discussions are a good place to start:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31899
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17623

christine lyn

Postby christine lyn » Fri May 14, 638315 9:57 pm

Are you saying PE is caused from babies being too big?

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Thu Mar 18, 638315 3:56 pm

Maybe big babies trigger PE. Going by the evolutionary theory of PE, which posits that preeclampsia is the result of a biological struggle between paternal and maternal DNA, maybe there is an evolutionary advantage for bigger babies. Even if it carries health risks.

So once the baby reaches a certain size, or the placenta become hypoxic, the preeclampsia cascade is triggered to increase flow of nutrients and oxygen across the placenta. (For more on evolutionary theory of preeclampsia, check out the links at the bottom of this first post: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26469).

Also diabetes can cause large for gestational age infants, and is an risk factor for PE.

jgrumet

Postby jgrumet » Thu Mar 18, 638315 2:33 pm

My baby was 5 pounds at 33 weeks which shocked everyone. Is there reason babies are big in pe pregnancies? My husband is 6'6" and was 11lbs when he was born so we were expecting a big baby, but the doctors weren't.

fernie3

Postby fernie3 » Thu Mar 18, 638315 4:35 am

hi
I had preeclampsia with my last pregnancy and my doctor told me that IUGR was possibly because the placenta was not functioning properly ...he seemd to be guessing after this so thats as much as i think they know!

sophie

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Thu Mar 18, 638315 4:20 am

The prevailing theory of PE is that for whatever reason (genetics, underlying disorder) the placenta doesn't attach properly in early pregnancy. This can cause reduced or less than optimal blood flow and nutrients to the fetus, which can cause growth restriction. In fact one theory of PE is that it is triggered by the fetus or placenta to increase blood pressure and blood flow.

Of course not everyone one with PE experiences IUGR (intra-uterine growth restriction), some have larger than normal kiddos for gestational age, but having PE or hypertension increases the risk of IUGR.

jgrumet

iugr?

Postby jgrumet » Tue Mar 16, 638315 10:43 am

how is this connected with pe?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”