Army Wife and 6th pregnancy!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jazymommy

Re : Army Wife and 6th pregnancy!

Postby jazymommy » Sun May 02, 638315 3:25 pm

I just wanted to take a minute and add my support. I am an active duty mom, so I do understand how difficult it is at times to deal with our doctors and get what you need. One thing to remember is that in this system the squeeky wheel is the one that gets the oil. Also, if for whatever reason you aren't able to get closer to family, get in touch with the unit FRG group if there is one. They are all spouses that can help you, and may have even been in your situation, or a similar one, at some point. I wish you the best. Remember to stay strong and make your voice heard, for your health and that of your next child.

cassie05

Postby cassie05 » Tue Apr 20, 638315 1:33 am

When you see your doctor, Im assuming an OB, request to be transfered out to the perinatologist in the area, if your Ob says no, request to at least get a referal for a consult with a peri. Your OB must put it in before Tricare will cover it all.
As for the compassionate reassignment, honestly you will be very lucky if they do grant it, the military is known for NOT being all that helpful even in a high risk pregnancy. Also talk to EFMP (exceptional family member program) and see if you will qualify to be a member. With EFMP, they will give you paperwork to fill out and your doctor as well...now this can be hard to get approved but would help to prove the need for reassignment. An OB i had refused to fill out the paperwork even though I had delivered 3 months early from severe preeclampsia. Quite honestly I would do everything you could to get away from teh military doctors, they tend to be sooooo much harder to get in and unfortunatly, in my experience, less likely to give you the quality of care you and your baby deserve. My guess is you would be far more likely to get a non military doctor to compose a letter to attempt to get reassigned. Another option, though it would be super hard is to move home, whether in with family or in your own place near your family and just have your dh move into the barracks. But that would also mean him missing the majority of the pregnancy and the possibility of him not making it to the birth of your baby.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Apr 10, 638315 2:23 am

It's not uncommon for women who develop PE in a pregnancy other than their first to have some sort of underlying condition that is predisposing them to develop it. The most common one is chronic hypertension. And the NIH Working Group Report says something about how chronic hypertensives need to plan their pregnancies to accomodate likely lifestyle changes (I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea.) A link to that report is stickied here in the News forum: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=35

So I'd definitely book an appointment with an MFM (here's a link to help you find one near to you: http://www.smfm.org ) and ask about compassionate reassignment. It wouldn't surprise me if they were able to write a letter, since the WGR says chronics are pretty likely to need help.

I know we've got a lot of military parents here, so I imagine other posters will be by shortly with more ideas. Like how to get an appointment with an MFM through Tricare.

Also, welcome to the forums. Keep us posted as this pregnancy progresses.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Sat Apr 10, 638315 12:07 am

Welcome.

I don't know what your doctor will do or not do for you, but you need to ask. Explain what is going on.

Are you seeing an MFM (high risk OB)? Our experts believe that anyone who has experienced pre-e would benifit from being under the care of a MFM. Did your bp's go back to normal after your last pregnancy? and did you ever get any tests for underlying disorders?

I hope that you have a great doctor that will work with you to have the best pregnancy possible.

Take care.

momofalot

Postby momofalot » Sat Apr 10, 638315 12:04 am

I'm sorry, I forgot one detail. I also just came down with a case of shingles! Just more proof of how much stress I'm under!!

momofalot

Army Wife and 6th pregnancy!

Postby momofalot » Fri Apr 09, 638315 11:53 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums. I needed to check them out. My last pregnancy (my 5th one) was horrible at the end. I went into the hospital at 36 weeks (not bad) thinking I was about to deliver a baby, only to find out I was breach. I also had a severe headache and soon after my bloodpressure was taken, I was diagnosed with severe preeclampsia. I ended up having the baby turned around from the outside with the assistance of 3 doctors. Immediately, I was put on magnesium which was a horrible experience. Anyhow, to make a long story short, this pregnancy will be my 4th pregnancy 4 years in a row! My body is worn out. I have a tremendous amount of stress, caring for 7 children in our home (we're a blended family) and I need to get closer to my family that lives approx. 8 hours away. I know the only way for my husband to get stationed closer to our family is something called a compassionate reassignment. If I were to go to my doctor (my first appt. is tomorrow) and explain to him my situation, do you think he would compose a letter to insist we be relocated closer to family so that I can have help during this pregnancy!? I'm desperate! Thank you for any help!!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”