I'm BAAACK! Tell me a good induction story...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
missgamecock

Re : I'm BAAACK! Tell me a good induction story...

Postby missgamecock » Tue Nov 25, 2008 02:12 pm

I know I was just thinking, um when did she announce? Congratulations!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Nov 25, 2008 01:43 pm

Allison!! Geez!

I'm just chiming in on the nursing; DS was a 34 weeker, discharged at 35 weeks, and figured out how to nurse at 35 weeks 2 days. Before that we were doing the latch work - pump - bottle - sleep dance. We were doing really frequent feeds for a while, because of the tummy problem and the jaundice = sleepy problem, but stuck to the one-side at a time rule, and it wasn't too long before those feedings stretched themselves out in time a bit.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

arj

Postby arj » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:43 am

quote:Originally posted by Catherine

Jez ARJ... when were you going to share this little titbit... when the kid graduates college?????

I know, I'm terrible. I lurk here all the time but never post anymore!

Thanks for all the advice. I'm hoping that my uterus remembers too. I'm not GBS+, so I shouldn't need any antibiotics.

I just want to avoid the MAG!

aggie95mom

Postby aggie95mom » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:24 am

Congrats on your baby to be! Kudos to your proactive doctor, though.

My 37 weeker was born at 5 lb 11 oz so small for his age. What Catherine described was my life for the first 4 weeks and it was tiring and I did end up having to pump a little bit just to keep myself comfortable because I thankfully had more milk than he was taking. As a lactation consultant, you'll know the tricks but the only problem I had to seek help with was the fact that Henry had a very small mouth and I wasn't so he was having a latching issue. Once we sorted that out, he's been a happy nurser ever since. I wish you the same good fortune.

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:51 am

Jez ARJ... when were you going to share this little titbit... when the kid graduates college?????

That BP does seem like it's beginning to crank... so perhaps an induction isn't likely to be too bad.

I wasn't induced with Finn, I PROMed but didn't go into labor straight away. No change to my cervix at the time but once goosed with a little pitocin and them properly breaking that amniotic sac and I was away and running. That was as a first timer. I pretty much repeated this pattern with Chloe except that the process was massively accelerated and I was contracting and dilating like a mad woman and doing a very convincing job of a woman speeding through labor. Of course I short-circuted that phase with the C-section but it convinced me that our uteri never forget... and ramp up every time. With that in mind will you need antibiotics? If so I would heartily advocate persuading them to run the first lot in before they start.... that way you can be sure you get both doses before the baby is delivered and avoid any super-obsessive surveillance that might land the baby up in NICU.. sure to put a spanner in the nursing works.

I don't remember either Finn or Chloe having any issues with efficient nursing or fatigue.. both 35- 36 weeks and 5 lbs. I think that you have to accept that each session will be shortish because their tummies are tiny and they sure are sleepy. I was averaging maybe one side every 1-2 hours for about 4 weeks. It's tiring for you and some pumping and supplementing is necessary, not so much for them and weight gain, but because it is insanely difficult to keep up with your life and family when you can't have some longer stretches of natural sleep.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Tue Nov 25, 2008 09:55 am

I was induced with my first and it was a fairly good experience - I even got to nap for a few hours while we waited for my second round of antibiotics to go through. I was 37 1/2 weeks along. My little on did have a few issues bfing - getting tired - but we worked through it and we were both healthy, which was the main goal.

Best of luck to you.

babyemsmom

Postby babyemsmom » Tue Nov 25, 2008 09:19 am

First off I wish you better luck this time. That first induction sounds scary! My induction went great. Pitocin was started at 7, my water broke around 10 and I had an epidural shortly after that. After 30 minutes of pushing my little girl was born at 6:01 pm. It was a long day but all went smoothly...until I got post partum PE :)

The epidural made my BP come down too...so that was a plus. More power to you if you can go natural. I am a wimp!

Wishing you a safe delivery and healthy baby!

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Tue Nov 25, 2008 09:17 am

I was induced with #2 and it was a breeze. I got pitocin starting about 9am and had Anna by noon that day with minimal pushing. This was unlike DD #1 who required vacuum extraction. I did require an episiotomy with both because my crazy kids both came out face up. It was nothing though- espcially compared to a tear. So yes, easy indutions do happen!! Good luck!!

arj

I'm BAAACK! Tell me a good induction story...

Postby arj » Tue Nov 25, 2008 09:06 am

Remember me girls? It's been a while.

Well gosh darn it, I'm hypertensive. Crap. Last week at my check-up my BP was 130/100 which landed me in L and D for labs/monitoring. My labs came back normal with the exception of elevated uric acid.

Yesterday, 150/90, more labs and NST. I have to go back again tomorrow.

At least I am 37 weeks today. I am fearful that my OB will admit me tomorrow for an induction. I think she is pulling for 38 weeks but she seems very concerned and a bit conservative. I'm a bit nervous because of my HORRID induction with DS1 (21 1/2 hours, mag sulfate, pit, failed epidural, 3 hours pushing, forceps, 4th degree tear).

Anyone have good induction stories to share?? Also, I'm one of those "crunchy" types who really wants to do natural childbirth (I did with DS2). Maybe my body will know better what to do this time since I've done this 2 times before. I'm also worried about how a 37-weeker breastfeeds. I'm an IBCLC and have seen often that these babies look normal size-wise, but tire out at the breast and have to be supplemented.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”