What's the max methyldopa dose?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
missgamecock

Re : What's the max methyldopa dose?

Postby missgamecock » Tue Dec 09, 2008 01:46 pm

Ok Candy, I posted an appt update today. He added in Procardia XL 30mg to go with the Ziac. I was started on Ziac 4 mos pp with Sara by my pcp. We tried switching to aldomet before getting pregnant and it didn't work. So I switched back to Ziac and he was ok with that. With having asthma, my options are somewhat limited on BP meds. I'm sorry your appt didn't go well. Good hing is they are watching you carefully.

candyg

Postby candyg » Tue Dec 09, 2008 01:32 pm

I'm glad to know that there are other options!

My appt didn't go all that well...my bp was 140ish/96...so we're monitoring closely this week...I have an NST on Fri...redid my bloodwork and doing a 24 hr urine tomorrow. She's also consulting with my OB, which is what worried me most. He's quite strict (although very nice) and I know he won't be impressed to see my pressures are already higher than last time...I'm just praying that he doesn't think I need to be admitted...but we'll see...

ssaclolo6

Postby ssaclolo6 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:56 am

I had problems on Labetelol with baby, so they have me on Aldomet. I'm on (sliding scale) 1000-2000, depending on my pressures. It is also my understanding that 2000 is the highest. I believe they are planning to start me on procardia if I have another diastolic in the 100's, so I am where you are at. : ) Good luck and keep us posted!

Steph

babyemsmom

Postby babyemsmom » Tue Dec 09, 2008 09:16 am

I took 250 of methyldopa 3 times a day at the end of my pregnancy and then post partum they switched me to 60 of procardia. The procardia that I was on was a 24 hour pill and was supposed to stay in your system and work all day. It helped me post partum when my bp was out of control and I know if I ever get pregnant again they would use that towards the end. I think it's quite a bit stronger than methyldopa. Good luck :) I am sure they can find a good combo for you!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Tue Dec 09, 2008 08:17 am

I wanted to add in that this time I started on 5mg of Ziac. That was upped to 10mg at 13 1/2 weeks. Bedrest at 22 weeks. He will probably add in procardia today. 10mg Ziac is the max.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Tue Dec 09, 2008 08:16 am

I ended up on 500mg x 4 a day = 2000 mg with Sara. Then my ob added in procardia 10mg x 3 a day. He ended up upping procardia to 20mg x3 a day = 60mg the week before Sara was born. So at delivery 2000mg aldomet and 60mg of Procardia.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:12 pm

There are quite a few other meds that are prescribed for pregnant women. Sometimes they have to add in additional meds, and tweak dosage and timing to keep them working effectively. Let us know how your appointment goes!

patty

Postby patty » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:45 pm

I can't take labetelol either. They had me on a combo of aldomet(methylodopa) and procardia this last time and that got me antoher month. Maybe your docs could add that if you start to get high readings again. I know postpartum they discontinued the methylodopa altogether because they thought it wasn't really a strong enough drug to help me much at that point.

jen44

Postby jen44 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 09:27 pm

500mg x 4 / day is the max as far as my experience.

candyg

What's the max methyldopa dose?

Postby candyg » Mon Dec 08, 2008 08:49 pm

I have a question...or maybe five :)

I'm on 250mg of methyldopa 3 x day...and it seemed to bring my bps down to 120s/70s for the first few days....now my pressures are creeping back up again.

By the time I delivered DS I was on 500mg of methyldopa 3 x day...

So I'm concerned that there's not much room to move here...

Does anyone know what the max dose of methyldopa generally prescribed?

I can't take labatelol because I react to it...so that's not an option for me.

I have an appt with my doctor tomorrow and I'm a little worried that she's not going to be pleased...

Return to “Ask the Experienced”