Disagreement between bps....frustrated!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
fernie3

Re : Disagreement between bps....frustrated!

Postby fernie3 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 03:04 am

hi my hosptial do not do them lying down or reclining they always ask you to sit up and sit over the eddge of the bed. Maybe ask them to wait for you to sit up next time you go :)

sophie

candyg

Postby candyg » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:38 pm

Thanks Ladies!

Sabrina - that makes sense to me...but that means that the low ones are definately the outliers...bummer!

Good Luck tomorrow!!!! I'll be thinking about you!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Mon Jan 12, 2009 05:34 pm

My ob's office and I take mine sitting. However at my peri's office for the NST, I am reclining in a chaise lounge. They are ALWAYS lower at my peri's than I get at my ob's or at home.

The thing to remember is ONE pressure is not going to change your treatment. What they are looking for (and how my ob and peri explained it to me) is the trend. So say you have 6 pressures taken for the last two days. If 5 of them are over 100 and one is like 70 on the bottom. The 70 will be thrown out because it is the outlier. However, if the situation is reversed and 5 are 70 and only 1 is a 100, the 100 would be thrown out. My meds have been increased when most of my bp readings were consistently high.

Gee I hope that makes sense. My ob's office uses manual cuffs. My peri's office uses both because usually they can not get an automatic reading on me there.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Mon Jan 12, 2009 04:49 pm

I would call and let them know what your bps are running at home - let them decide if they want to see you any sooner or have you do anything else.

Take care.

candyg

Postby candyg » Mon Jan 12, 2009 01:20 pm

That could be it...I usually get DH to sit the bed up...but he wasn't with me today...

I don't have an issue with them not beleiving my home pressures...but I will take the monitor with me on Thusday...and maybe I'll call them tomorrow anyway...

laura

Postby laura » Mon Jan 12, 2009 01:14 pm

Do you think that the NST monitor pressures might be lower because you're semi-reclining? I would definitely let the doc know about your home pressures and bring your home cuff in to your next appointment to show/see if they're reading the same. If you can see that they do, they might give more credibility to those home pressures.

candyg

Disagreement between bps....frustrated!

Postby candyg » Mon Jan 12, 2009 01:02 pm

What would you do in this situation...?

So my bps have been consistently around 145-150/95-100 for the last two days on my home monitor.

We go to the hospital for an NST this morning (took forever...baby not cooperating!) and my bps taken with the NST monitor were 130/80!

You'd think that was just fabulous news...but it's not to me...becuase I know that my monitor at hom always agrees with my bp in the doc's office and my bps at the hospital NEVER agree with my trends unless they use the separate bp machine...hte NST monitors are always low for me...AHHH!!!

The reason I'm so furstrated is that although I see the doctor on Thursday...I'm wondering if I should call the office tomorrow and let them know what my bps have been like...I'm on 1500mg of aldomet a day and they are already talking induction...should I just wait until my appt?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”