Pulmonary Edema?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Pulmonary Edema?

Postby caryn » Mon Jan 19, 2009 04:53 pm

I thought I'd link to this research abstract on shortness of breath in preeclampsia...

jonandkatsmom

Postby jonandkatsmom » Sat Jan 17, 2009 02:18 pm

I had pulm edema right at the end of my second pregnancy. I happened quickly and the pain was intense. When I called for the nurse (I was hospitalized at the time) she listened to my chest and knew right away that that was what it was. It is unmistakable and the pain felt like pressure and drowning all at once.

laura

Postby laura » Fri Jan 16, 2009 05:19 pm

I am with MaryEllen, I had the heaviness but didn't get dx with pulmonary edema until I had crackling. I could feel the crackling particularly when I would lie down. I've had pneumonia 3x, chronic bronchitis and asthma when I lived with my (smoking) parents, and There's nothing comparable to the drowning feeling and crackling from Pulmonary Edema.

I've had shortness of breath, and it was a little different than that- it wasn't so much a drownling feeling as a out of breath like running. For me, it was when my pulse was running too high. HTH sort things out!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Fri Jan 16, 2009 04:32 pm

I didn't have high BP with DD, till right at the end, but she was severe IUGR due to poor blood flow, not because I wasn't getting enough oxygen.

http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp You can find the "trouble catching your breath" as a symptom on our home page. I "think" my peri said it's due to central nervous system involvement, but truthfully, I don't remember exactly. One of the others ladies will remember, I'm sure.

I think you have to be careful though in determing if it's the baby squishing your lungs up vs preeclampsia. Either way a symptom like that should be reported to your doctor. I had no idea and was never asked about shortness of breath. I just thought I was pregnant and out of shape. :-)

melissaa

Postby melissaa » Fri Jan 16, 2009 03:29 pm

Thats exactly what I thought. I've been told its normal too, but when hear people without PE describe the "running out of room" feeling.. it just doesnt sound quite as intense. I cant stretch out and it go away.. and im 5'4" and average waisted.. so I dont think Im running out of room just yet. I've got a BP cuff at home and got some reagent strips today. As of right now im being seem weekly too and having bi-weekly NSTs. I had it with my daughter for about 3 weeks before delivery. I feel like im not getting enough oxygen... could that be the case and then in turn it get less oxygen to the baby and be the cause for dd's IUGR? I didnt have high BP with dd, so I know her IUGR wasnt b/c of that.

jenh

Postby jenh » Fri Jan 16, 2009 03:25 pm

I didn't have fluid IN the lungs but had a lot of fluid AROUND the lungs that made it increasingly difficult to breathe. My OB (first time) wrote it off as normal in pregnancy, especially since I'm short and was "running out of room" for a deep breath. I was hospitalized 3 days later.

I've heard so many PE moms mention breathing troubles and so rarely heard it from non-PE moms that I'm convinced it is a warning sign. When it happened the second time around, I demanded weekly 24-hr urine and bi-weekly BP checks from then until PE was diagnosed four weeks later.

babyemsmom

Postby babyemsmom » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:07 am

I hope you feel better soon and that they can figure out what is going on! I had chest heaviness during my pregnancy and the racing heart. I think my OB thought it was more anxiety related. The coughing makes me agree with Kara, that it could be cold related. You could have some lung function tests done.

Kara,

I didn't know that the chest heaviness was a sign of PE? I got that around 24-25 weeks and didn't get PE until after birth. I wonder if that was a sign...one more thing to be worried about for the next baby!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:47 pm

May women report heaviness of the chest when they are closing in on preeclampsia. I did, but ho9nestly I've not heard of anyone having a cough with it, so I would suspect it to be something different. I too would talk to a doctor about...get it checked out. You may need to do some breathing tests if it's not related to a cold or something.

shadow2356

Postby shadow2356 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:08 pm

I had it. Believe me, you would know. I had serious upper right quadrant pain for awhile and was admitted. The sound when I was breathing was like a fishtank. It was really bad and so difficult to breathe that I don't think either you or your doctor would be unsure. It is a sign of heart failure. You would feel like you are drowning.

It showed up on the echo because the heart valves were leaking.

I hope you feel better soon.

angelkat

Postby angelkat » Thu Jan 15, 2009 01:01 pm

If you had/have pulmonary edema you would have cough up pink frothy sputum and if someone listen to your lungs they could hear crackles. A sure sign if you think you have it is to ask for a chest xray. You *might* have preg induce asthma or something along those lines. I would speak with the doctor regarding your concerns....

Hope you feel better soon....

Return to “Ask the Experienced”