one hand more swollen that the other? WTH?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
sibyl23

Re : one hand more swollen that the other? WTH?

Postby sibyl23 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 01:19 pm

I had something similiar when I had PE. My right leg was much more swollen than my left leg.

scrapang

Postby scrapang » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:32 am

My right hand is more swollen than my left, and it gets worse at night because (I guess) I sleep on my left side, too. It's turned into carpal tunnel mostly at night that keeps me awake, so when that happens I prop it way up above my head on pillows and that seems to help it. Or at least enough that I can sleep. Of course it's kind of hard to sleep in that awkward position but it's better than not sleeping because of pain! They're both red and splotchy looking, but just that right one is worse and with the numbness/pain.

candyg

Postby candyg » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:20 am

It is my right hand...but I'm left-handed...and I was sleeping on my left side...so maybe that was it...I've been having quite a bit of reddness in my hands and feet...over the last couple days. But I thought that it might have been a side effect off the percoset I'm on for my headaches that they can't get rid of...even morphine and nubain were not working too well...and I couldn't imagine having to be on them for all this time...

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:42 am

Yep, we see this every once in awhile. Sometimes it's a hand or leg. It can be due to the way you slept, or just a circulation issue. Which hand is it? A lot of times the right side will swell more because the heart pumps blood out and down the left side, and then up the right side of the body. It's harder work pushing blood up the right side, against gravity, so sometimes more fluid collects on that side. I doubt it would be a clotting issue. Do you have any pain or tenderness associated with the more swollen hand? Any redness? Clotting in hands and arms is pretty unusual. Good to have the doc look at it though and give a professional opinion.

ambersjourney

Postby ambersjourney » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:28 am

Are you right handed? I would think -just a guess that it might be due to that... maybe because you use it more?

candyg

one hand more swollen that the other? WTH?

Postby candyg » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:21 am

Okay...so to add to my brutal week...this morning I woke up and my right havd was much more swollen than my left...although the are both swollen.

I called my nurse and it wasn't just me...one was a lot more swollen...it's gone down a bit now...but what the heck is that about...I'm assuming it's not normal. Has this happened to anyone else?

I never go to talk to the on call doc about it....which I will rant about in another thread...but my OB is supposed to come by this afternoon...I can't think of why one side would swell more besides a clotting issue....

Anything? Anyone?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”