Question about hospital visit

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
macbabyismine

Re : Question about hospital visit

Postby macbabyismine » Sun Feb 01, 2009 02:12 am

I agree i would not let that stop me from going back if i felt that i needed to. I dont know a lot about how to take the blood pressure properly, but i do know what i went through with severe PE and if it were me i would not let them make me gun shy..You know your body and if something is off...Good Luck to you and hang in there, but please dont hesitate to go back if you feel you need to..I would rather them think im crazy then to have something happen to you

ambersjourney

Postby ambersjourney » Sun Feb 01, 2009 01:19 am

I'm so sorry that happened to you today. How frustrating! *hugs* Don't let it stop you from going right back in if you need to. You have to protect and advocate for yourself. You know your body better than anyone else and you know if you something is off.

You can write a letter documenting the situation and mail it certified to the OB practice (now or at a later date) and perhaps it will help to prevent situations like that happening for other women.

blythe

Postby blythe » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:17 pm

Becca, here is a link to our Experts discussing the correct ways to take blood pressure http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=321 .

Our experts are the top high risk doctors and researchers in hypertensive pregnancies. I'd be tempted to print it out and take it to the nurses, but I don't know if it would help ;->. You can always ask them to take it like they want to, then also sitting, and politely request that they record both numbers.

Is the doctor on call going to be your doctor if you are induced at all this week? If so, in your shoes I would review your first delivery - 275/150, crash cart and all - with your nurse and the on call doctor (if you can get them to talk to you directly) . You mentioned that your doctor was going to induce you on Monday if your protein was over 300mg, find out if she noted that in your chart anywhere. Can you brief your husband so he can back you up if necessary?

I know it stinks, but in your shoes I'd just keep going back if my bp got that high again. Hang in there!

crystalw

Postby crystalw » Sat Jan 31, 2009 09:48 pm

I would hang out on your left side regardless if they told you bedrest or not! I have the same problem as you. I've dealt alot with people making me feel my concerns were ridiculous and I have a lot of issues because of it. Bad issues.. like I let myself get very sick instead of going to the doctor or speaking up. I hope that you don't let this affect you like it has me.

beccasaun

Question about hospital visit

Postby beccasaun » Sat Jan 31, 2009 09:41 pm

Sorry to ask yet another question, but we had an 'episode' today and I'm wondering what your guys take on it is, given that everyone's been through this before..
I've been feeling 'off' all day- headaches, dots in front of the eyes, swelling, etc. When I woke up from a nap (laying on my left side the entire time) I had an insane headache, so I knew I needed to check my BP. I sat down for a few minutes, feet flat on the floor, left arm as usual- it came back 165/98... My highest numbers to date with this pregnancy. So, I waited it out. It went down a little bit (150/90 range) so I got in the shower in the off chance that I'd need to go to the hospital. My doctor had advised me to go in and get checked if it got into the 160/100 range (I felt I was close enough with that first number, but I wanted to make sure I got the high numbers at least twice.) It went down after my shower into the 140/90 range, which surprised me, so I layed on my left side again for awhile. I sat back up for a few minutes and when I checked it about 30 minutes later, it was reading at 160/99. My husband and I decided it would be best to just go to the hospital and get checked.

Here's where my issue comes in- When I got to the hospital, they layed me on my left side, put the automatic cuff on my right arm, and took it that way. Now, am I wrong or is that, of course, not going to give you a much lower reading then normal? And isn't a 'accurate' reading sitting, and in the same arm you always take it in? Suffice to say, my numbers were in the high 130/80 range and continued to go down while I was there. The doctor on call (the one doctor in our practice that I've only met once, but the one in charge of my care while my normal doctor is on vacation this week) told the nurse she wasn't coming in to check me unless she saw my numbers about 140/90... and then she told the nurse to ask me "why I'm even checking it at home anyways?" Like I'm stupid for doing that or something..? It absolutely infurated me. She obviously has no idea of my history or last pregnancy and no concern for what's going on. They treated me as if they didn't believe my numbers and sent me home with nothing- no advice, no orders for bed rest, nothing.

Just to be sure, I had my husband go out and buy a manual cuff and stethescope so that he could take it at home, and we'd know whether or not my automatic cuff was reading correctly or not. My sister (a nurse) walked him through how to properly do it, and my numbers came back consistantly at 142/88. My automatic cuff read 148/90.

Please tell me I'm not completely crazy..? What do I do if it gets high like that again? They've made me completely gun shy to head back there if it gets like that again, and even though I know that's silly, I hate being treated like a hypochondriac and made to feel stupid. I know that the baby and myself are more important then their rude attitudes, but what should I do next time if I go in and the same thing happens again? Should I ask that it be taken manually, with me sitting, and in the left arm? Should I stand my ground on it and let them know that I know it's higher then it's reading based on all my symptoms? I never get symptoms unless it's above the 140/90 range, and never symptoms as bad as they were when it was in the 160/100 range like it was today.

Thank you all so much for all the great advice you've already provided. I'm so thankful to have found this site and all of you. I wish I had found it with my first pregnancy!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”