This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
amanda
Forum Moderator

Re : 286

Postby amanda » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:10 am

Proteinuria, in and of itself is really only an indicator that there could be *something* going on with the kidney's unless the number is really high. They use the protein number combined with other kidney function tests (the reason they take your blood when they collect your sample). As long as your other function tests are in the 'normal' range (for example: I regularly spill protein of about 500 mg daily due to underlying conditions however my other kidney function tests which truly give an indication of the function of the kidney's are still consistently normal) then proteinuria would be the indicator that something is amiss but not a reason, per say, to deliver. Sometimes you see women say that their doctors say that they have kidney's of steel meaning they were spilling a lot of protein however their kidney function tests were still within the normal range. Syz I think that is the reason why some doctors don't run the test unless there are indicators that it is needed.

All of that said, there IS a point where proteinuria DOES impact kidney function tests but the important thing to remember is that it is different for every person.

Defintely something to ask your doctor about - you are looking to make sure that your creatine (serum) level is still normal as is your egfr within the normal range - egfr is a calculated value but is usually performed as part of the workup.

macbabyismine

Postby macbabyismine » Mon Feb 02, 2009 09:31 am

When they put me in the hospital and did a 24 hour urine it was 4800 and kept rising until i had the baby, mine was a very fast onset of PE and we never did a 24 hour urine before that.

suz7171

Postby suz7171 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 09:14 am

I am so glad to read that you guys have actual 24 hr # with pe symptoms. My OB (with my twin pregnancy) NEVER, I repeat, NEVER did a 24 hr urine test on me. It wasn't until I was in the hospital on mag with a BP of 200/108 that a 24 hour was done....by then it was over 5000 mg (I don't even know the exact # but my peri said I definitely had severe pre e) It frustrates me. WHY would she not order this simple test? Sorry - just getting that off my chest!

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Sun Feb 01, 2009 05:43 pm

Have you had a chance to get with the doctor yet? How did the conversation go?

melissaa

Postby melissaa » Sun Feb 01, 2009 03:33 pm

Every dr is different I guess.. I have had levels of 570, 220, 269, 400 and 215 and CNS involvement and increasing BPs for weeks and my dr is still looking at 37-38 weeks for delivery. They're watching but dont seem at all concerned about my headaches, blurry vision, dizziness and hyperreflexia.. which is really ticking me off. I would just see if they can keep you there regardless... I know I would feel more comfortable being in the hospital and monitored more closely! GL!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:57 am

My last pregnancy I was delivered with 237 protein. However, I had CNS involvement and as Fiona said that is more of a risk. In fact, once I had the CNS involvement, my peri said she didn't care how much protein was in my urine, I was a seizure waiting to happen. So they look at the whole picture and not just one thing.

julie f

Postby julie f » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:30 am

Andie,

Just seconding Fiona on the "frank conversation with your doctor." I am one that would've spent the whole nine months in the hospital had they let me... There is no harm in asking/discussing - you're on the home stretch!

On a sidenote - my proteinuria was about 3500mg when I delivered, and delivery ended up being for other reasons entirely.

Hang in there and keep us posted.

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:53 am

Andie, the short answer is no, not with everything else being equal.

You are less likely to be delivered for proteinuria than for a number of other things: out of control BP, low platelets, central nervous system issues, fetal indicators....

24 hour urine can get into the high thousands before it becomes an issue by itself.

That said, PIH is dangerous in itself. I think you need to have a very frank conversation with the doctor - if he says he wants you home, explain your concerns. Don't be embarrassed about wanting to stay put. Many of us here would have spent teh whole pregnancy in hospial given the chance.

andie646c

Postby andie646c » Sun Feb 01, 2009 09:38 am

That would be my 24 hour urine.

The nurse last night said that it was "normal" and that she probably had more protein in her urine when I asked. I talk to the nurse just now and she said "No, it was elevated, normally the cut off to keep you here is 300, your Dr. is still making his decision of what to do".

She did say I'm not critical (I like this nurse better, she tells me stuff) so most likely wont be deliverying yet. They seem to act like 36 weeks is a good time so maybe we are just waiting til that day?

I am very scared of going from bad to worse too fast ... I am scared of not making it back here and I'm scared that Casey (my fiance/babys dad) would do something incredibly stupid ... like not call 911 and try to transport me himself if I have a seizure (sometimes he doesn't think everything through ... I love him but really, he is silly sometimes).

Is there any likelihood that I might be giving birth sometime soon? Did anyones doctor actually induce at 300 for the 24 hour urine?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”