Question about hospital bed rest

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
macbabyismine

Re : Question about hospital bed rest

Postby macbabyismine » Mon Feb 02, 2009 06:43 pm

yes i agree with what everyone has said i just wanted to tell you that for me they put me in on a Thursday because of my blood pressure and my dips were a +4 just to do a 24 hour urine sample and monitor the baby i had no other symptoms, they were just doing it as a precaution. On Friday night i became very symptomatic all of the sudden, they had to induce me on sat. and i had him on sunday. it was such a whirlwind. So...moral of the story is it can hit very fast (im proof) and you are very lucky that your doctor is being very diligent about your care...good luck to you and it sounds like the baby is doing good too. and yeah he is really big...Im jealous too!! i was 30 weeks and my son was only 2.7

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Mon Feb 02, 2009 05:45 pm

Like Trish and Rebecca said, being hospital bound is no fun (I was for almost 4 weeks) but that said, right now, they are giving you excellent care and being very proactive which is GREAT. PE moves very quickly for some and for some of us (like myself) we limp along - the issue is no one can tell which one you are going to be - a limper or a fast changing so it sounds like your docs are just going with observing care to make sure that you are in the best position to deliver whenever that is. A lot of us go from being okay one day to delivering the next - for me at least it was that fast.

Your little one really is a good size - 5 pds! I'm jealous!
Keep posting!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Feb 02, 2009 04:41 pm

Being in the hospital is no fun but things can change so quickly with PE that they want to be able to monitor you and be able to act quickly if your symptoms change/progress. Glad he is growing so well. My last was just 5 lbs 9 oz at 36 weeks so he really is a good size for 33 weeks! :)

Keep us updated on how you are doing and ask as many more questios you have. Everyone here is so helpful. :)

theriot86

Postby theriot86 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 04:24 pm

There is a very good NICU here so I'm definately not concerned about him...I know he will be in good hands. Thank you so much for your comments...any additional information I get just helps that much more.

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Mon Feb 02, 2009 04:09 pm

Hi Tammy. Even though being in the hospital is a drag, it's the best place for you to be right now. As said above, things can change rapidly with this condition and I'm sure your doctor wants to keep very close tabs on you just in case. It beats going home, going into L&D, going home, going into L&D....

I was put on bedrest at home at 32 weeks and hospital bedrest at the end of 34 weeks. I made it 2 days in the hospital before I had to be induced.

Is there a NICU there if needed? Rest up as much as you can and take care.

mrs.spit

Postby mrs.spit » Mon Feb 02, 2009 03:57 pm

This is hard. Where I live, we have a really excellent antenatal program, that does the NST, bloodwork and 24 hour urine checks daily, and they come to your house.

If this is not available to you, it is important to be in the hospital. For what it's worth, the average time from diagnosis of pre-e to delivery is about 2 weeks. Unfortunatley this disease can turn on a dime, and there can be some terrible consequences.

Hang in there.

theriot86

Question about hospital bed rest

Postby theriot86 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 03:28 pm

My name is Tammy and I'm a first time mom. I'm 33 weeks and I was diagnosed with preeclampsia at 31 1/2 weeks. My protein levels on my first 24 hr urine were just over 400. My ob put my on bed rest at my home the thursday and had a steroid shot on friday and another on saturday. I had an appt on the next tuesday and I had a +4 on a stick test in my ob's office. She sent me to the hospital for a 24hr urine and observation. My b/p has been a little high for me(140s/80s - my norm is 120s/70s) but they said it's still normal. My protein level came back 1047. They told me I was going to be staying in the hospital until I deliver. It was kinda scary at first b/c I didn't know what to expect. I've been here almost 1 week and nothing has changed. I just did another 24hr urine and my level only went up to just over 1100. I'm not on any new medications and they only monitor my b/p about 3 times throughout the day. They put me on a fetal monitor for 1 hour each day but everything is perfect with our precious little boy. The parinatologist saw me today and said he looks perfect (he's actually a little big..which is good) he's about 5lbs and 2oz. My question is why do I have to stay here and get monitored when I can check my b/p at home. The parinatologist said he wants to try to make it atleast 2 more weeks, then recheck everything and possibly wait even longer....which I want my little man as healthy as possible but I just don't understand why I have to be in the hospital if I have nothing wrong except my protein level.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”