Question about headache and facial swelling

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jenh

Re : Question about headache and facial swelling

Postby jenh » Tue Feb 03, 2009 03:32 pm

My facial swelling included my cheeks, lips, and around the eyes. I looked a little like someone with an allergy who'd been stung by a bee. I also had pitting edema in the legs (if I poked my leg, the imprint would hold its shape) and my fingers were so swollen I could hardly bend them. Even my back was swollen to the point they had trouble finding my spine to do an epidural!

As far as the headache, I don't really remember what it felt like (I was pretty out of it), just that is was different from my usual migraines. More of an all over pressure-pain, I think.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Tue Feb 03, 2009 03:25 pm

I never had "the" PE headache. However, I do have migraines. What you are describing sounds similar to a migraine. When do you see the neurologist? There are medications you can take for migraine even when pregnant.

Unfortunately it can be difficult to distinguish a migraine from the PE headache since both can involve irritation of the trigeminal nerve (which has branches that run behind eyes & sinuses). The PE headache it is caused by cerebral swelling, which puts one at risk of eclampsia (seizures) and hemorrhage (stroke).

Honestly in your shoes, I would call or head in with every concern. You are awfully close to meeting the diagnostic criteria for PE, and with your protein trending upwards better safe than sorry. In your shoes if I had any visual changes or new symptoms, or my headache didn't respond to prescription meds, I'd head to L&D.

momaofson

Postby momaofson » Tue Feb 03, 2009 02:46 pm

No I am not having sinus issues. I haven't been sick with that for a while. Its not really something new cause I had it last week. Do you swell in your cheek area or somewhere else with pre-e? Has anyone had the pre-e headaches before? If so where was it located on your head or did it vary?

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Feb 03, 2009 02:37 pm

The PE headache is not associated with high blood pressure, but rather intrcranial swelling. Although it is usually an acute symptom. Have they been checking your reflexes? Any visual disturbances? What did they say about the facial swelling?

I wonder if you have pregnancy induced migraines (due to hormone changes), or sinus headache as Julie mentioned. You can have sinus problems without being stuffy and without a runny nose. It seems like sinus problems are fairly common in pregnancy.

julie f

Postby julie f » Tue Feb 03, 2009 02:25 pm

Any chance that you're having sinus issues? My sinus headaches can get pretty horrible, they laugh at tylenol... ;) As for the facial swelling, if it's something new, I'd call your doc as well.

Let us know.

momaofson

Postby momaofson » Tue Feb 03, 2009 02:18 pm

Well I have been having these headaches for almost a month straight now and my doctor told me that they were causing my high blood pressure (not that my blood preesure was causing the headaches). I have been having alot of other symptoms and told my doctor last friday when I went in and she blew them off. I dont know if I am imagining these symptoms or if they are really there. I went in for a nst yesterday and they said everything looked fine. I took my blood pressure this morning and it was 115/59 and just now it was 104/56. I dont feel like I should be having these symptoms if my bp isn't high.

Dont know what is going on.

jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Tue Feb 03, 2009 02:07 pm

I don't know if you've had a chance to check our site's "Sign's and Symptoms" http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp (great info BTW), but in there it's suggested that if you have an intense headache like your describing and find no relief with over the counter medication (check with your doc. first what your able to have) then it's definitely something you should get checked out.
PE or not, I would call my provider and mention your symptoms.
Let us know how your doing after talking to your doctor. We'll be thinking of you.
Jenn

mrs.spit

Postby mrs.spit » Tue Feb 03, 2009 02:00 pm

Have you contacted your doctor? What do they say? Certainly facial swelling and headaches warrant a trip to L and D, or at the very least a call to your doctor.

momaofson

Question about headache and facial swelling

Postby momaofson » Tue Feb 03, 2009 01:52 pm

I keep having my bad headaches. Normally when you have a headache associated with pre-e where is it located at on the head? I keep getting a headache right behind my eye or on the top of my head that feels like my head is being squeezed or crushed. When I get these headaches I also feel disoriented (sp) wondering if that is normal.

When you swell in the face is it normally in the cheek area under the eyes or somewhere else? I have noticed that around my mouth and under my eyes looks puffier than normal. I can also feel my hands swelling as well. My feet not so much really and I cant tell if my legs are huge from being pregnant or swelling.

Any info would be great. Tried to look it up under google couldn't find anything.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”