Question about protien levels

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
annes
Forum Moderator

Re : Question about protien levels

Postby annes » Fri Feb 06, 2009 08:19 am

Please call your ob, or just go into L&D and have them check you out. That headache, along with your other symptoms warrants some attention. Good Luck.

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Fri Feb 06, 2009 05:59 am

I'd call. That's me though--but floaters and a headache that won't go away are important signs that things aren't right. When are you next seeing someone? If not soon, I'd go in and get checked out--it never hurts to play it safe.

Take care!

momaofson

Postby momaofson » Fri Feb 06, 2009 00:45 am

Well my doctor perscribed me demerol and vicodin for my headaches. Somehow my demerol went missing so now all I have is vicodin. My headache went away after about three hours. But it keeps coming off and on for the past 4 hours. My legs are swollen but I am not sure if thats because I was standing at work for 5 hours. I am really tired. I keep getting "floaters" in my eye too.

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Thu Feb 05, 2009 06:12 pm

I personally wouldn't take anything OTC or Rx that wasn't specifically prescribed for my symptoms by my doctor. If you've got a headache that is so bad that you need vicodin, I would be darn sure your doctor is aware. This is not the time to rely on us, the internet or pregnancy books--that's what the doctor is for--now's the time to call. hang in there!!

(Caryn--per that "gravity" thing--isn't it nice to know that we know SOMETHING about this disease? I didn't know that--thanks for sharing!)

momaofson

Postby momaofson » Thu Feb 05, 2009 03:32 pm

Now my head is throbbing. I just took a vicodin and I hope that helps. I am supposed to go to work tonight for 5 hours. Hope I can function enough to go. It is so hard to have a headache like this when I am supposed to clean the house and take care of a three year old. The only thing I want to do is rest in a quiet room. But like that ever happens. Does anyone know anything about the pre-e headache?

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Thu Feb 05, 2009 02:44 pm

I think it's a good idea to try pain killers. If they help, then it's supposedly not a PE headache, but if they don't, then you have something to tell your doctor (and husband).

Karoliina

momaofson

Postby momaofson » Thu Feb 05, 2009 01:58 pm

Thank you for the responses. I also have a feeling my husband wont understand my fears because it has dropped. He is one of those guys sometimes that if he can see it or feel it he has a hard time believing it. I noticed with my last collection I didn't pee as much as I normally do. Today my head hurts so bad and its so hard to keep my eyes open. I think I am going to have to take one of my pain pills for it. I have been keeping an eye on my blood pressure and it keeps going up slowly but surely. I really hate this wait and see game. I sometimes wish that they would just take her as soon as they could in case something bad does happen.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 01:46 pm

Protein isn't a good indicator of much of anything. What the researchers did was draw a line for "normal pregnancy" at 150 mg/24 hours, another line for "pregnancy's affecting your kidneys" at 300 mg/24 hours, and another line for "pregnancy's really affecting your kidneys" at 5,000 mg/24 hours. Bedrest can drop the number, because fewer protein molecules fall through the holes in the glomeruli when you're laying down, but that just means gravity works and says nothing much about the progression of the disease. :-)

So you're above normal, and were very close to the diagnostic line for PE at one point. If you've ever scored above 300 mg and two readings of either of 140/90 during a pregnancy, they treat you as a preeclamptic, because it is a *syndrome*, and regardless of *why* those symptoms are occurring, once they appear you're having a medically complicated pregnancy.

Tricky cases are the ones where the mother is reporting symptoms but does not meet the diagnostic cutline. We encourage women in that position to be determined and vocal about their symptoms, because OBs know that sometimes those symptoms are revealing. (And sometimes women are extremely sick by pressure and proteinuria, but have no other symptoms, too.)

I would just keep reiterating with your OB the symptoms that you're having, and make sure that you understand what plan is in place to monitor you for preeclampsia -- and then grit your teeth and do your kick counts and report any change in symptoms. Late pregnancy is *no* fun with this -- you're always waiting for the other shoe to drop -- but women who are careful about monitoring their own symptoms and who push for care tend to have better outcomes, so that's what we recommend.

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Thu Feb 05, 2009 01:40 pm

Hello,

I just got my medical records from my first pregnancy today (I had moderate PE). I did more than 10 24-hour urine tests then, and it seems the levels have sometimes gone down, and then up again.

Between November 1 and 7 they were rising steadily up to 3180, but the next day (Nov 8) they were only at 2330, rising a little again the following day (Nov 9), when I delivered.

Nov 10, the day after delivery, they were at their highest at 3880, going down for two days after that, then rising up for two days again, then going down for three... November 18 they were at 1010 and that's when they stopped monitoring me. Apparently my BP was back to normal, and I remember I had to go to the maternal clinic sometime later for a dipstick urine sample, and apparently that was okay, too, as I didn't have to go back to 24-hour tests anymore.

Sorry for all the details, but as you can see (and from what I've heard) the levels can really change daily, going down and up again, both before and after the delivery.

Your protein levels are still pretty low, but if you have other symptoms, I don't think this one lowering of those levels should make a lot of difference in how you're treated by your doctor.

Keep us posted!

Karoliina

momaofson

Question about protien levels

Postby momaofson » Thu Feb 05, 2009 01:26 pm

I called my doctors nurse and found out that my protien dropped from 283 to 194. This whole time its been rising. I am curious though what makes it vary so much. If my protein is down and my blood pressure is stable does that mean I shouldn't be experiencing any symptoms like I am? Today I woke up with a pounding headache and my hands are slightly swollen. I dont think my doctor will take my symptoms seriously now that my protein and my bp are down. Can it jump back up again or is it down for good? This whole waiting game is driving me nuts.

Did anyone elses protien drop and then raise back up again? Any info would be great.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”