Help...HELLP?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
kylesmom

Re : Help...HELLP?

Postby kylesmom » Sat May 15, 2004 06:40 pm

Hi Stephanie-
Just wanted to check in- not to scare you, but simply to let you know that I had the upper right quadrant pain for quite some time before anyone decided to do bloodwork. I was told I was the "picture of health" so no one was overly concerned. My pain fluctuated from a 3 to a 9, but I wasn't truly doubled over until the last couple of days. If your BP is jumping and your pain is not subsiding, I say better safe than sorry and suggest heading down to L&D just to be sure.

Good luck- I will be thinking about you and baby.[:)]

Jennifer 32
Kyle born 8-13-03 @ 38 weeks (severe atypical Preeclampsia and Class I HELLP)

julie f

Postby julie f » Sat May 15, 2004 06:35 pm

Hey Stephanie, thanks for checking in with us, I have been wondering about you!

In answer to your question, yeah, stuff like that is concerning to me and I don't think you're a hypochondriac...! Your bp is up and there is some protein spilling in your urine... Swelling in your face and hands is not good, same with your abdominal pain. I think that the pain experienced in association with the liver is different for everyone so, for you it may be a "6" but for someone else it might be a "10." For instance in my case, it came on out of nowhere and was quite severe. About an hour later though, it was gone, just a dull ache, almost like a pulled muscle. Later that night it was back with a vengance and we headed to L&D and then the ER. We had to wait for a couple of hours and while we were waiting, the pain would range in severity - sometimes I had a hard time talking through it, other times it was just really uncomfortable. And, in the ER, they gave me the choice between tylenol and vicodin, I took the tylenol and it worked, I felt great! On the other hand, I've also heard other women say that nothing touched their pain so again, I think it differs from person to person. Anyway, the next day, I saw my regular OB for a follow-up and was admitted to the hospital with severe pe and significantly elevated liver enzymes...

I might be the hypochondriac but, I'd say that if you don't feel right, please call your doctor and get back in for a set of labs and a 24 hour urine. You have nothing to lose and even if your doctor doesn't think it's necessary, I'd ask her to do it for your peace of mind at least.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Praying for a miracle... TTC #2 is a go!

Southern California Coordinator

mnmommy

Postby mnmommy » Sat May 15, 2004 06:09 pm

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your concern. I went to get the 2nd shot Betamethasone shot today.

TMI I know..but no stool at all today. I did read that a black tarry stool is serious and should be reported to your doc after the Betamethasone shot. I reported it, but they don't appear to concerned about either the stool or the pain as NO LABS WERE ORDERED when I was in to receive the second shot.

The pain has been intermittent today. Tonight it is probably a 6..feels like I ran and am out of shape...or a knife positioned so that it hurts and jabs only at certain times.

I did read on the HELLP forum that the pain was SEVERE for those unlucky ladies and feel that while my pain stinks it is manageable. The baby has been so low...I really doubt it is him. Follow up is Tuesday with OB and that is my OB who was on call this weekend.

I am a little perturbed that they didn't see the point in running some labs. My BP was up from 104/66 to 118/80 on Friday and today 138/80. No protein was tested today but yesterday it was a +1. I called her back after leaving and asked if she thought a 24 hour catch would be a good idea..I told the nurse that she only needed to call back if I should do the catch and I didn't get a call. This also scared me because when I was a trace I actually had a 24 hour of 300...it made me concerned what +1 would be.

Is any of this concerning to anyone else or am I still the mother protecting her cub and a little hypochondriacish thinking that this dull "6" pain could be the SEVERE Hellp pain that has women doubled over?

My plan is to take the "wait and see" approach. If I get any worse my OB is still on call this weekend and I won't hesitate to call. No other PE symptoms at this time besides some minor swelling in face, hands, feet. No headaches!

Thanks again for your support and concern. Sorry this ran a little long.

Stephanie

abell

Postby abell » Sat May 15, 2004 11:47 am

Anyone heard from her yet??

Amanda-
Mommy to Madison- born 05/24/02 34 weeks gestation due to severe PE. 3 lbs. 7 oz. 16 inches.

Pregnant Again! Baby Girl- EDD 08/21/04 Put on bed rest at 22 weeks. Initial stages of PE

julie f

Postby julie f » Sat May 15, 2004 11:39 am

Stephanie,

How are you doing today?

Julie (27)

laura

Postby laura » Sat May 15, 2004 00:22 am

black tarry stool? That's something to go to the emergency room about- iron can cause black stool, but so can digested blood- they need to make sure you're not bleeding anywhere.
But- I think it's pretty safe to say that if they ran the liver labs, platelets, etc. and they came out fine, that it's probably not HELLP, but I agree with Julie, if you're not feeling right, you should be persistent until they figure out what's causing it! Take care, and please check back in!

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/

julie f

Postby julie f » Fri May 14, 2004 09:20 pm

Stephanie,

If you don't feel "right," I'd say head down to L&D to be checked out, just in case. The scary thing about HELLP is that it can creep up on you before pe symptoms start to show, the pain under my rib cage was the first indication for me that anything was wrong. I know you feel like a hypochondriac but, I think all of us here have good reason to be checking out every little thing!

About the black, tarry stool, I don't really know much about that. When my pain came on I got very nauseous and felt like I needed to either throw up or go to the bathroom. I did end up having diarrhea [xx(], sorry too much info...

Please let us know how you're doing.

Julie (27)

mnmommy

Help...HELLP?

Postby mnmommy » Fri May 14, 2004 08:54 pm

I am probably on the hypochondriac list...but better to be safe than sorry. I feel like a mother bear protecting her little cub...

I just saw the doc today and received the Betamethasone shot for lung development. I have to have the other shot tomorrow.

I was told to increase activity as I could and we are in a "wait and see basis" as to when this baby will come. The OB does not want me to be too "deconditioned" at delivery.

While walking today I had some pain in my right upper quad. I had this pain once before told the doc and she did the bloodwork and all was OK. The pain is a dull ache and can radiate to my back. Sometimes enough to take my breath away.

Additionally, after the shot but just before the pain started I had a black tarry stool. I am not sure if that is related to HELLP or a side effect of the shot? I have tried to look up the symptoms/side effects of each but am getting lost.

Thanks for anything you can suggest. I will probably call the doc in the AM before going in for the second shot to see what she has to say..if the pain does not worsen tonight.

Stephanie

Madelyn 10/02 born full term PE
EDD 7/25/04

Return to “Ask the Experienced”