question about pre-eclampsia

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
hhbeachgurl

Re : question about pre-eclampsia

Postby hhbeachgurl » Thu Mar 12, 2009 09:58 pm

Hi, I was diagnosed at 29 weeks and limped along in and out of the hospital and at home on complete bedrest until I was induced at 35 weeks....things started to go really down hill about 33 and 1/2 to 34...and I spent a full week in the hospital before they induced...a total of 16 days in the hospital from start to delivery plus another 5 after.....I never had a prolem with insurance covering even though my bp's typically stabilized on bedrest. Even with insurance I had a pretty big bill. I did end up with insurance saying they were not covering a few of my labs, and NST's before I was diagnosed...these were the ones being done during the diagnosis period. I had to call my OB and talk to them and they had to recode and speak to the hospital to have them recode in order for it to be covered. i would definitly try that as it should be covered.

I would keep an eye on your sysmptoms and call if anything changes....and if I were in your shoes I would ask my OB for another 24 hour. Hang in there....34 weeks plus is a good place to be if things do turn bad.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:37 am

Welcome & glad to hear we've been helpful to you already!

Glad to hear BP is behaving and baby is doing well on NST's and BPP's. Almost 35 weeks is a great place to be! Since it has been 3 weeks since your last 24 hour & you dipped trace/+1 I would encourage you to call your OB and let them know. Maybe you could pick up a jug and do blood work & a 24 hour before your next appt. And you could ask your OB if someone in their billing department could contact your insurance. Sometimes it as simple as "recoding" or clarifying the diagnosis of why you were there so insurance could pay for the 7 additional days. That's got to be a big bill!

As to not wanting to be re-admitted again until you are sure it's time - I completely understand that. I get not wanting another bill but there's just no "for sure" time with PE. It's much better to be safe than sorry with this disease & call your OB or go in to L&D anytime if you feel "off" or have additional symptoms. Here's a link to our signs and symptoms page: http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp so you can keep an eye out for any other symptoms.

Hang in there and feel free to ask more questions as they come up.

babyemsmom

Postby babyemsmom » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:19 am

Welcome! I am so glad that you found us, but I wish you didn't have to. Sounds like your doctors have taken great care of you. I would ask for a repeat 24 hour, just to see what is going on and maybe the blood work too. Things can change pretty fast with PE and neither test is hard to do! I know that bedrest can help bring the protein down and it's great that your BP has behaved. I would guess that they are just going to keep monitoring you closely and then deliver as they think necessary. Some women get bad fast and some limp along for a while before they have to deliver. Maybe at your next appointment you and the doctor can discuss your "plan". That might make you feel better :)

Just watch your symptoms and call or head in if something seems off!
Keep us posted!

christina123

question about pre-eclampsia

Postby christina123 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:10 am

Hello! I have been thankful for this site, reading all the experiences others have had.
I developed high blood pressures (140/90's) at 29 1/2 weeks with 24 hour urines of 320-450. I was hospitalized for 11 days. My blood pressures normalized on their own after about an hour of bedrest and never rebounded. However, my 24 hour's were 320 then 450 then 350 then 302. Finally on the 11th day it was 270 and they sent me home on strict bedrest. I never had any other symptoms (headache, abd pain, swelling). Now I am 34.5 weeks, still at home on bedrest. I have been feeling pretty good, an occasional mild headache relieved with Tylenol, and occasional tachycardia (I did have a Cardiology workup in the hospital with an echo which was normal). No elevated blood pressures at home, and I check my urine dip sticks which have been negative to trace. The baby is moving well and I have bi-weekly NST's and BBP's.
My question is, where do we go from here? I feel like I am sitting on a time bomb and I don't want anything to happen to the baby because I can't get the hospital in time. I know it is important for her to still grow, but I'm scared to have liver and kidney issues. I haven't had blood work or a 24 hour urine since discharge (3 weeks ago). Today my dip stick was between trace and plus one, the first time that has happened (they were always neg even when the 24 hours were high). I feel fine, but I'm just nervous as to what to do next.
Also, my insurance has denied coverage of my hospital stay after the first 4 days (leaving me 7 to pay on my own), since my blood pressures were all normal after the first day, even though the 24 hour was high. Has anyone else had difficulty with insurance covering "atypical pre-eclampsia?" I don't want to be re-admitted again until we are sure it's time, because I can't afford another hospital bill.
Any advice, encouragement would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”