Late introduction =)

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jmom08

Re : Late introduction =)

Postby jmom08 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 00:20 am

Thank you so much everyone for the welcome and support. =) I will definitely check out the threads, thank you Caryn!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 08:06 pm

Of course it's still okay to say hello. :-)

I saw a couple of things in your post where I can "fill in the blanks" a bit. An abnormal result on the quad screen with a chromosomally normal amnio may be a marker for preeclampsia, although unfortunately the association alone isn't enough to use as a screening test for the syndrome (and in any case we have no interventions other than delivery.) IIRC several research teams are investigating this at the moment. Here are two different threads where our Experts talk about this a bit.

Also, we know that in addition to whatever stress our livestyles bring upon us, the placenta itself is actively mucking about with our hormone levels.

Glad to see you out of lurking. :-)

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Sun Mar 29, 2009 08:42 pm

It is so heartwarming to hear you ladies share this sentiment. I know from personal experience how scary it is to go through this and have people not get it and before everything--our #1 mission was that if we can help just one woman who goes through preeclampsia feel she is not alone, then we have succeeded and I personally feel like that goal is something we've really moved the bar on. So much more we need to do--but glad to have energy, and passion like yours on the team! Welcome!!!

sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby sheri-ct » Sun Mar 29, 2009 06:42 pm

Welcome! Yes, this is a wonderful, supportive board. I have found the information here to be very helpful. Sorry you had such a difficult pregnancy. It's hard to make the decision to try again, but I do feel more prepared this time and more educated on what to look for. I am sure you will find the answers and support you are looking for.

Sheri

carjashaner

Postby carjashaner » Sat Mar 28, 2009 07:21 pm

So glad you decided to post here. I felt the same wasy as you, and the ladies here are so supportive and understanding, you can't help but get a comforting feeling knowing that you are not alone in this journey. There is always someone here to answer questions, give opinions, or just offer a shoulder to lean on. Welcome!!!

coachswife14

Postby coachswife14 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 06:56 pm

I lurk a lot around here too but I'm glad you decided to post. This is a wonderful site full of the strongest women I've ever had the privilege to know.

I had preeclampsia with my first. I started at 32 weeks with extreme swelling. After two weeks of at home and hospital bedrest, steriod shots for my little girl, and high BP, my kidneys indicated failure and she was born at 34 weeks and a couple of days. She needed a week of NICU time mainly for jaundice. I was terrified when I found myself pregnant again three years later. I was diagnosed with PIH at 28 weeks, spent 6 weeks of bedrest at home, and delivered another little girl at 36 weeks. She required no NICU time and was such an easy baby.

It was scary to go through again, and people who've never been through it just don't get it. That's why I try and not discuss it with "those" people as much. I love to come here and read stories because I feel like we're all joined by this scary but common thread. No question is a dumb question....and through this site I've learned to be my own best advocate.

I'm now 21 weeks pregnant with number three, and while I'm still worried about getting preeclampsia, I know the warning signs and I know what I need to do to be proactive in my and my son's care.

It is a leap of faith, but worth it in the end. :)

jmom08

Late introduction =)

Postby jmom08 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 05:18 pm

Hi everyone, I hope it is still OK to say hello here -- I've enjoyed reading posts for the past couple of weeks but have been shy about posting much or introducing myself! =)

My first signs of PE started around 30/31 weeks with swelling (enough to worry everyone in my childbirth class -- that's when I knew it was time to call the doctor!). I was put on bedrest with PIH at 32 weeks, tested for protein at 34 weeks and was put in the hospital with PE, and delivered by c-section two weeks later, the morning my son turned 36 weeks. Aside from feeding problems the first year and some chest complications when he gets sick, my son is active and healthy, and being here reminds me even more to be thankful.

My husband and I recently decided we want to start TTC soon, which brought a lot of memories about my pregnancy to the surface, and is one of the reasons I decided I wanted to help out with the Preeclampsia Foundation. Before PE, some stresses earlier in the pregnancy had me pretty tense by the end -- false alarm from the first trimester screening (increased Down Syndrome risk; amnio turned out OK), concerns about restricted growth, clumsy exam by one of the doctors in my OB's office (heavy/moderate bleeding and pain for several days), hand problems from the PIH/PE swelling (numbness & wrist splints last 6 weeks, declined steroid shots b/c they said it wasn't risk-free for the baby, was warned about permanent loss of feeling but it came back after delivery), and fetal heart rate decelerations that became increasingly frequent while on bedrest in the hospital. I had some pregnancy related concerns before I got pregnant (Autism in family and concerns about birth defects, tragic family experiences with medical mistakes), so I think I was probably predisposed to being anxious when things happened during my pregnancy. I had some wonderful care providers, and some that were not so wonderful. Although I'm able to stand up for myself in other areas of my life (I'm even a lawyer), I had a difficult time being assertive when it came to my prenatal care, especially leading up to a very stressful delivery. I've had a hard time coming to grips with the fact that I'm still affected by what happened -- when I try to talk about my pregnancy with friends, the attitude seems to be that since my son is healthy, I should be able to forget about Preeclampsia and everything else that happened to me -- and I can't.

I very much want another child, hope to be able to overcome my fears enough to be able to try again soon, and am very grateful for this forum and for everything the Preeclampsia Foundation is doing. It's already helped tremendously to read the posts here and feel like I am not alone. I realize how lucky I am, and how much worse it could have been, but it still makes me upset to remember the way I was treated, and even more upset to read about the mistakes and losses that others have experienced. I am truly amazed at the courage and strength of everyone on this forum.

Thank you so much for being here. I am looking forward to doing my little bit to help.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”