23 week update

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : 23 week update

Postby caryn » Tue Aug 29, 638609 9:45 pm

Jen, once I peed off all the fluid postpartum, I'd dropped 30 pounds below my starting weight. One of the strategies the placenta uses here (and you've got two, oy!) is to tweak your metabolism to affect nutrient flow across the placental gradient. It's perfectly happy to cannibalize your muscle tissue to do that. :-(

There's some stuff in the News forum on it -- mostly turns up if you search leptin and adiponectin -- and I had a conversation at SG with a researcher who was working on this, but I don't think they know very much about how it works yet and certainly don't know how to tweak it...

jenh

Postby jenh » Tue Aug 29, 638609 6:55 pm

Sorry, Shortness Of Breath. I'm such a geek, I research the heck out of this disease and have picked up a lot of the medical shorthand. I had a doctor tell me I must be in the medical field (I'm not) because I talk things over at such a high level. :)

ambersjourney

Postby ambersjourney » Tue Aug 29, 638609 4:53 pm

quote:Originally posted by JenH

which with the SOB was my first warning signs before.

Hi, I just wondered what SOB was?

jenh

23 week update

Postby jenh » Tue Aug 29, 638609 2:35 pm

We survived another week, 23 weeks today! My BP has been labile and averaging higher than before but hasn't hit the "magic numbers" yet. So no diagnosis or meds yet. Besides the fluctuating BP, my only other symptom is shortness of breath and dizziness if I try to do too much. No swelling, not even the normal pregnancy stuff, which with the SOB was my first warning signs before.

One thing that has me a little concerned is that I've only gained 10.5 pounds net (I lost and regained a few with morning sickness) and am only measuring 25 weeks. I had thought with twins I'd be bigger, and I sure look and feel bigger than that. My OB got called out before I got there, so I saw the NP instead. She didn't seem concerned.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”