What does this mean??

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
cheleandcallidora

Re : What does this mean??

Postby cheleandcallidora » Mon May 11, 2009 10:58 am

If you go online to the pregnancy institute website and send them an email they will let you know. They specialize in cord research. They are always really good at returning any emails they get.

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Sat May 09, 2009 10:49 am

My last baby had a very thick cord but, the placenta was horrible. Definitely, not a healthy placenta. My doc kept calling my placenta "gnarly".

debbie78

Postby debbie78 » Sat May 09, 2009 07:40 am

I don't know what it means, but I was just thinking that I am going to make a point of looking at Finn's cord when he's born! I don't think I've ever taken note of it with my other two!

cacheandtayt

Postby cacheandtayt » Sat May 09, 2009 00:23 am

My sister-in-law had a healthy, normal pregnancy (well her baby was almost 11 lbs so that part wasn't normal) but his cord was also HUGE... she called it "freakishly huge." All of her babies have been big 9, 10 and 11 lbs but his was the only one SO big- the others were normal. Anyway, not my own experience but she had no problems and had a baby with a huge cord as well.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat May 09, 2009 00:02 am

Probably it just means that you had one of them there funky placentas. Placentas are *weird* -- there is even more variation in placentas than in teeth, and if you think back to your middle school years you'll remember lots of less-than-perfect teeth in braces and headgear -- and they do weird stuff.

It's the part of our genome that is the most variant, probably because it's the thing that causes the most human deaths (miscarriage and pregnancy complications account for something like 90% of fatalities, and if we took out guns, drugs, and cars it would be even higher.)

And funky placentas are probably more likely to muck about with the settings.

ambersjourney

Postby ambersjourney » Fri May 08, 2009 11:04 pm

But if I had a healthy placenta why would my bp rise at 26wks?

crystalw

Postby crystalw » Fri May 08, 2009 10:54 pm

When I was working on OB I think one of the docs told me a big thick cord was indicative of a healthy placenta?? I dont' know how true that is but thats what I heard... with my first daughter her cord was so tiny and puny.. and I had no flow..

ambersjourney

What does this mean??

Postby ambersjourney » Fri May 08, 2009 10:49 pm

I had my ds on April 20, he was 37 weeks. I was on heparin the entire pregnancy and went on Labetolol at 26 weeks when my bp went up. My bp immediately dropped after the c section but rebounded and now I am on half the dosage of meds that I was taking while pregnant and continuing to wean off as my bp returns to normal. I am 2.5 wks pp. So this is my question, my baby's cord was HUGE! I also had high amniotic fluid. What does this mean? I thought I remembered reading about the size of the cord being indicative of something... just can't remember what. Thanks for any information you can give me.

Oh I forgot to mention my doc allowed my bps to run high while on meds- like 150/100. Also I passed the GD test with flying colors. Baby was 7 lbs 3 oz at 37wks.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”