Pre-e in 2nd pregnancy - questions.

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
chippery

Re : Pre-e in 2nd pregnancy - questions.

Postby chippery » Fri Jul 24, 2009 01:06 pm

mrsjrmiller it sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I am currently 35 wks, with my second child. First one was severe PE and c-sectioned at the 37 week mark w/ growth restriction of 5%. This one does not appear to have any problems w/ restriction, as it's showing 90%. Both times, BP's rose around the 20 week mark (plus or minus a couple weeks, I can't remember.) I am on 900 mg/day of Labetalol, and with that am getting pressures ranging 120/75-156/96. They swing a lot. Protein is lingering just under 300 (2+ on the dipstick)at the moment - but over the last month or so has risen from 76. Bedrest (not strict) since 28 weeks. When I was pulled from work, I was getting THE migraines for over a week straight. Since then, they've gone down to just a feeling of pressure behind the eyes to the ears. I talked to the doctor this morning about the pressure feeling along w/ what I would describe as overworked eyes (light sensitivity?), and he said we *may* be fine for a couple more weeks. I go back in for regular testing in 3 days. So at the moment - I'm at the "Hurry up and wait" stage. Never had the right side pain in either pregnancies.

mlcoltrain

Postby mlcoltrain » Thu Jul 23, 2009 05:31 pm

I had sudden eclampsia and HELLP at 27wks. I am currently 35wks pregnant with DS and have not had any real issues with this pregnancy. My BP has always been in a good range and has not gotten high at all. Just recently I've started to get some swelling but only in my feet and it goes down at night. I had one odd scare at 22wks but found it was most likely my gall bladder and the fact that we were moving and I was doing to much. Occasionally, I would get URQ twinges too but nothing bad and they always went away, same with headaches, I had some doozies in the first few months, but nothing as bad as THE PE headache. I'm also prone to migranes though since DD was born, and haven't had to take my migrane meds since start of 2nd trimester. I monitor my BP and just keep an eye out for other symptoms. As long as things continue to go this well I'm not getting a c-section until 39wks, unless I go into labor on my own. I can't quite beleive it, this pregnancy is like being pregnant for the first time since I never got to experience being this far along before. It can happen!

mrsjrmiller

Postby mrsjrmiller » Thu Jul 23, 2009 05:24 pm

Rachelsmommy - I am so happy for you! How inspiring! Best of luck!!!!

rachelsmommy

Postby rachelsmommy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 04:10 pm

I had sudden severe pre-e with my first and delivered at 28 weeks. This pregnancy I am 34 weeks currently and haven't gotten pre-e yet. I feel the same as you...I'm just waiting for it to happen. I have had some high bp readings at the doctor's office but they go back down. I was put on bedrest at 28 weeks and hospitalized at 29 weeks due to high bp but was only there 2 days. Now I am not even on bedrest because my bp is back in the normal range. I have also had those twinges of pain in the upper right quadrant but nothing too bad and it always goes away. My MFM said if it was persistant to call in but it hasn't been. So try to relax and I hope you make it much further this time. I never thought I would make it this far but they actually went ahead and scheduled my csection for 37 weeks. That's only 3 weeks away! So it can happen! Hang in there!

mrsjrmiller

Pre-e in 2nd pregnancy - questions.

Postby mrsjrmiller » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:56 am

I know no pregnancy is the same but I would like to hear some other people's experience and get opinions on what some of you guys may think as far as my experience goes.

I got sudden and severe pre-e and had my DS at 27 weeks. I am currently 27 weeks and 1 day pregnant (whooo-hoooo). I was put on bed rest at 22.5 weeks because of elevated BP and signs of pre-e. My 24 hr urine is just under 300 at this point. On bed rest my BPs have been great. I also have an SUA, which puts me at increased risk for IUGR.

When I went to the dr on Tues and realized I was at 27 weeks and doing good, I felt like I had just completed the biggest accomplishment of my life... It felt great.

My MFM has said that typically in subsequent pregnancies when you had pre-e as severe as I did, it is usually not IF pre-e comes around again, but WHEN. However, she added that generally it will be a little later than your first time.

So, I am hanging out, on bed rest feeling on top of the world to be past 27 weeks but cannot help waiting for the other show to drop. I wish I could just enjoy this but I cannot.

I want to know other people's experiences with 2nd pregnancies and what you guys think about me having such good BP numbers now. Do you think that my kidneys and liver are going to hold out longer since my BP is good. Did anyone have good BP readings but end up with high protein or anything like that? Also, regarding right side pain, I never had it before but sometimes I feel a twinge of pain - but expect unbearable pain that I will know for sure what it is... anyone ever experience lighter pain.. I have headaches but not the pre-e headaches I know from before...

Sorry so long... bed rest will do that too... TIA!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”