If you were on Mag for labor were you stuck in bed

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jdd

Re : If you were on Mag for labor were you stuck in bed

Postby jdd » Fri Oct 16, 2009 02:17 pm

I was not allowed out of the bed once they put the mag in. I wasn't even allowed in a wheelchair after I gave birth to go see my daughter. Trust me when I tell you I threw on heck of a hissy fit until I was allowed to go see her.

wvmom3320

Postby wvmom3320 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 04:57 pm

Mag was horrible - sick at my stomach and couldnt walk around definately out of it.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Mon Oct 05, 2009 00:55 am

I didn't have problems with mag either, but still was not allowed out of bed, and had a cathater in for 24 hours afterwards - so from the time it was put in until it came out I was in bed. And like Caryn my nurse never left my side (only afterwards did I find out that nurses don't typically stay in your room for your whole labor watching all of the screens, monitors and machines).

take care.

mrs.spit

Postby mrs.spit » Mon Oct 05, 2009 00:13 am

I'm one of those awful women that had absolutely no problems on the Mag, other than it being hard on my veins, requiring repositioning of the IV a few times, I was up and around and walking as much as possible at the insistence of my midwife and OB (who didn't want to section me, unless HELLP arrived).

I think only about 15 percent of women have problems with the Mag?

nicolea

Postby nicolea » Sun Oct 04, 2009 09:20 pm

I had a cathedar with my first round of mag so I was stuck in the bed. The second round I was permitted out of bed but I had to have a nurse with me in the bathroom - which I hated even worse than the cathedar, especially being 3 days PP.

I felt too woozy to get up on my own. Given the choice, as much as I hated it, I'd probably take the cathedar again.

bethaileen

Postby bethaileen » Sat Oct 03, 2009 03:03 pm

This is really helping me wrap my mind around my experience. So I was on mag while I was chemically induced for labor and then physically induced by my midwife. I was allowed out of bed to occasionally go to the bathroom with assistance before birth but could barely move, had all sorts of weird visions, and was generally out of it but sleepless. During birth, my midwife helped me along. Afterward, I was entirely bed bound and on a catheter, which was just weird. I think it was another day before I was back to walking myself to the bathroom.

blznbec

Postby blznbec » Wed Sep 23, 2009 01:25 pm

I was unconscious the first time I was on mag, so I had no idea what I felt. After having my daughter, I was put on mag for precautionary reasons and almost wished I was unconscious the second time around (minus the code blue seizures of course)! I had huge issue; sick about four-five hours after delivery, double vision for 36 hours, very loopy, and felt awful over all. I can't imagine anyone functioning on mag, although I guess there might be different levels of how much mag one is on. As others have mentioned, it can be hazardous to your health for you to be up and moving, so I doubt you will be able to get up much.

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Tue Sep 22, 2009 07:09 pm

I was only allowed to get up to go to the bathroom but probably shouldn't even have been able to do that. Without help I nearly fell every time I got up. Both times I got mag and both times I ended up with a horrible headache and I have basically no recollection of anything while I was on it.

saramomofmany

Postby saramomofmany » Tue Sep 22, 2009 06:30 pm

I am trying to remember my labor, and it wasn't that long ago, but I felt like I could move around and stuff, but they wouldn't "let me". Even if I could sit up in bed or something to feel like I was helping labor...but my midwife wanted me on my side. I do remember after the baby was born, like the next day feeling some effects of the mag, but not like I couldn't walk around...but when I closed my eyes it was like there was a screensaver playing behind my eyes...

I really hope to not get p.e. again(of course!!). Sara

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 22, 2009 06:18 pm

I think everyone reacts differently to it. I had a catheter after not too long, so I didn't get out of bed after that. Also, after about 12 hour of mag I started getting very sick and was vomiting. So I didn't feel like moving anywhere. I probably could have walked, but just felt too sick to want to get out of bed.

Good luck! Hopefully you'll be one of those lucky ladies that has no problem whatesoever with mag!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”