If you were on Mag for labor were you stuck in bed

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : If you were on Mag for labor were you stuck in bed

Postby caryn » Mon Sep 21, 2009 09:50 pm

I could walk on mag, but I was also really, really close to seizing. Officially I wasn't supposed to get up nor be left unattended because of that -- I had one-on-one care the whole time I was in L&D. But I also didn't get so far as labor, so that's not terribly helpful.

Some of our posters have had vaginal deliveries both with and without mag, and will have a better idea than I do of what the protocol was. :-)

tree
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Mon Sep 21, 2009 08:42 pm

I have vague memories of not being able to find/reach/use the buttons on my hospital bed on mag. There is no way I could have walked, but YMMV. I remember being so surprised at how easy the buttons on the bed were to use after they took me off and moved me to another room.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon Sep 21, 2009 04:17 pm

Ditto to what Heather and Rosalinda said. Mag is a smooth muscle relaxer, so it relaxes lots of muscles, on top of potentially making you disoriented or dizzy. All that equals fall hazard. I was allowed to get out of bed for the bathroom after my BP's stabilized, for a short time. By the end of my 4 days on mag I could barely get to a sitting position on the hospital bed. It took one nurse and my husband to guide my fall from bed to a wheelchair so I could go see my baby. And it was a fall....I had no control.

You may be able to get out of bed for a short while, or if there happens to be enough staff and a slow day at L&D so that someone can be with you when you are out of bed. But that's probably about it. You might be able to move to your knees and stretch and stuff in bed. And maybe sit on a yoga ball if someone is with you at all times. I'd ask. If you are mild and on a low dose of mag you might get lucky.

rosalinda

Postby rosalinda » Mon Sep 21, 2009 04:07 pm

From my understanding, the magnesium makes patients feel loopy, weak and disoriented. Which makes doctors leery of letting patients get up out of bed, since you are considered a 'fall risk patient'.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Mon Sep 21, 2009 03:57 pm

Sara, before my situation took a sharp turn south, we were anticipating a vaginal delivery with mag, and I was told I'd be laboring on my left side. I ended up with a section because of the abruption and was cathed for a week and on hospital bedrest post delivery. I wasn't permitted out of bed until the mag was stopped. I'll also say (though everyone responds differently) that I felt extremely disoriented and weak with whacked out vision and head issues.

I'm sure this likely differs from doctor to doctor (and hospital). I'd definitely bring this up with your provider and discuss how important it is to you to determine if they'll budge.

fancy19

Postby fancy19 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 03:46 pm

My wife was on mag in bed with a catheder. She didnt get up.

saramomofmany

If you were on Mag for labor were you stuck in bed

Postby saramomofmany » Mon Sep 21, 2009 03:21 pm

I am wondering for those who have been on mag for labor, were you totally stuck in bed the whole time? With baby #5, I was only "allowed" to get out of bed to pee in the little portable toilet they had right next to my bed. If I develop p.e. again, and have to be on mag, I would really love to be able to get out of bed, even at least a little bit. I know how much being upright/active helps labor to progress, and it goes against everything in me to just be laying there in bed...so just wondering what others have experienced.

Thanks! Sara

Return to “Ask the Experienced”