MRI?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : MRI?

Postby caryn » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:07 pm

Good luck tomorrow!

my3girls

Postby my3girls » Thu Oct 15, 2009 05:19 pm

Update:

Thanks to all who responded. I saw the doctor today and my blood pressure was back to normal and she said all looks good but she did suggest a MRI which she scheduled for tomorrow and a panel of bloodwork to look at my cholesterol (need spellcheck), liver and kidney functions, and thyroid. She doesn't think I should see a cardiologist bc everything seems to be already back to normal. So unless something comes back in the bloodwork or MRI it looks like this episode of PE has done no lasting damage.

hhbeachgurl

Postby hhbeachgurl » Sun Oct 11, 2009 07:03 pm

Ok wow, first off my name is Amanda and my daughter is Ansley....so similar....I also had a very similar experience with loss of vision, sever headache and weakness on one side. I was told it was most likely a small stroke. I never did have an MRI....Although it did take a good 6 months to a year for most of the effects to go away, mild right side weakness and some very mild (not noticable to anyone else but me) cognitive difficulties all mostly subsided by a year postpartum. I spoke with a neuro 6 weeks pp, and he really didn't think the MRI could give us anymore answers so we didn't do one. HUGS to you.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Oct 10, 2009 02:31 am

Amanda, how incredibly scary. I'm glad you're feeling better now -- maybe even back to normal?

I'm leaning towards saying you might ask an MFM if that sort of followup would be appropriate. They know more about the cognitive outcomes from this syndrome than an internist (or whatever your PCP is) would, and when (and if) an MRI would be the sort of followup to recommend. An MFM would also be able to suggest any other testing for underlying disorders that might have predisposed you to develop preeclampsia.

Welcome Earthside, Aynsley!

mrs.spit

Postby mrs.spit » Fri Oct 09, 2009 08:21 pm

What I know about mini-strokes (Transient ischemic attacks - TIA) is actually from my mother, who has had several. Effectively, while they could give you an MRI, all it would show is that there is possibly an area of your brain that has died. It wouldn't show when that had happened or how. It wouldn't show if you were at risk of another.

Our brains are pretty amazing, and most often with a TIA, the stroke is so small, and the brain re-wires ourselves so quickly that there is no rehab needed, no drugs to be pushed, nothing. In a normal case, they would lower your BP (more slowly than you might think) and give you some vaso-dilators, and blood thinners, and watch you for a bit. What damage is done with a stroke can often be helped with physio and drugs, but in your case, the damage was minimal, and your brain "fixed" itself, which is a great thing.

The next step in a normal situation would be to isolate what caused the stroke - are you diabetic with hypertension etc, to try and reduce your risk factors for the stroke. In my mother's case, this meant a myriad of meds, and a warning that she must keep her type 1 diabetes under control. In your case, Pre-e probably caused the stroke - or rather the high pressures with the pre-e caused the stroke. It's important to remember, your pressures don't have to be all that high to have a stroke with pre-e.

Having said all of that, you should absolutely make sure that your kidneys are ok, and your eyes weren't damaged by high pressures (the small veins in the back of your eye can rupture with high pressures, meaning that you will lose vision). You should make sure that your pressures are well under control (the biggest recurrence risk for a TIA in normal situations is having already have one). I might also ask for a referral to a cardiologist - I'd want to know what the pre-e and the possible TIA did to my risk of developing heart disease in the future.

Hope that helps, and glad you got help in time!

my3girls

MRI?

Postby my3girls » Fri Oct 09, 2009 04:59 pm

Hi All,

I posted before I had the baby so I will give an update as it has to do with my current question. I was dx PIH at 29 weeks and mild PE at 32 weeks. At 34 4/7 I started throwing up and then suddenly my vision went black for just a minute or two but then got a severe headache. A few minutes later my right arm went numb and my right eye still had blurry vision. My husband was working and my mom had my twins so I had to call to get him to come home and let my mom know what was going on. I found that even though in my head I could explain I was confusing words and it took a long time to get it across to my mom (my husband just said he was on his way and hung up when he couldn't understand what I was saying.) By they time I got to L&D all of my symptoms had cleared up except for the severe headache. Well my BP was up and I was contracting every 2 min so they started me on Mag and sent me to a hospital with a NICU (after 1 am by this time). I spoke with a MFM there and they decided to induce me. I had an extremely easy delivery and Aynsley was born at 5lbs8oz. She did have an 11 day NICU stay but is home and healthy now.

Well I had my 6 week PP check up and my BP was good but they still suggested I follow up with my PCP. It was a different MD than who saw me before I was xfered so we were talking about what happened and he said that I had probably had had a mini stroke but they couldn't confirm it now (all said in a very calm voice as if telling me I had a cold). I go see the PCP next week. Do you think I should ask for a MRI or CAT scan? I feel fine but am thinking I should push for it to make sure there isn't any damage. What do you think?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”