Did your mom have toxemia/pre-e?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
rebecca2

Re : Did your mom have toxemia/pre-e?

Postby rebecca2 » Tue Apr 21, 638629 4:30 pm

There is no history of PE in my family. My oldest sister did develop some BP issues just before she delivered her twins, but we thought that was due to the meds they had her on to prevent labor at 30w. They all were younger than me when they delivered though. They were in the 20’s and I was 34.

My husband’s cousin developed PE twice. His great-grandmother passed away during childbirth, but we don’t know why.

jgrumet

Postby jgrumet » Mon Apr 20, 638629 1:17 pm

No, all my grandmothers and my mother and sister had completely normal multiple pregnancies and deliveries. They were all about natural childbirth, too.

Both my mom and my sister had placenta previa with at least one of their pregnancies, but it corrected itself in time for a natural delivery.

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Sat Apr 11, 638629 4:36 am

Sabrina I find what you say about your MANAGED care assuring. See, with the right drs you CAN have a successful pregnancy. My OB also said that if my BP starts to go up she is increasing my BP meds. She also said she is going to start at 30 weeks with amnios' to get the baby's lungs matured and to keep me from going to the point of no return aka pre-e (the new name I have gave it.) I hope you can have one more successful pregnancy and BTW....................

We are oficaily TTC :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sat Apr 11, 638629 3:27 am

I had severe pe with Kirsten and almost died. I spent 4 days in an ICU room in Labor and Delivery. 3 days on Mag. I waited 6 1/2 years mainly due out of fear before my dh gave me the ultimatum. Now or never. As far as I was concerned after Kirsten I was done. I didn't want her to be an only child. So I jumped in with both feet. I didn't even have an OBGYN as I had not been to one since Kirsten was born!!!!! Fortunately, I found my current practices by luck! I started off with the midwives, they moved me to my ob at 9 weeks saying I was too high risk. I have seen my ob ever since. I never see the midwives, not even for annual exams. Anyway, went on part time work at home at 26 weeks. I went on fulltime bedrest at 30 weeks (very strict). I had Sara at 35 weeks 5 days. No protein in the urine just as dangerous with severe pih. My ob introduced me to my peri. I started seeing her for comanaged care at 26 weeks.

After Sara was born, I realized with the right care, I could have a successful pregnancy. I decided to try again. I went into it knowing I had a 100% chance of a PIH pregnancy. With Cate, again the bp started rising immediately. I was better prepared for things this time and more educated. My drs took no chances. At 5 weeks, my ob put me on work at home 1 day a week on Wednesdays. Then at 13 weeks, he increased my meds to from 5 mg Ziac to 10 mg Ziac and added another work at home day, changing my schedule to Tues and Thurs wah. At 22 weeks, I was put on complete bedrest and put on full time wah. At 30 weeks, I went on full time leave. I had Cate at 36 weeks. My peri wanted to deliver at 34 weeks due to mild pe and my history. I refused and held out because I didn't want her in the NICU. My ob gave me very unappealing choices of deliver with a mature amnio or labwork every 2 days before I became severe again. So I chose the amnio and delivered the next day. My peri had no intentions if everything was just dandy to have me go past 37 weeks. Anyway it worked out, because I my bp started to go nuts 3 days before Cate was born and did not go down.

I would like another. It's up in the air and we'll see what happens in a couple of years. My next one will be a csection hysterectomy due to endometriosis and adenomyosis and stupid gyn issues. If not, then I will be having a hysterectomy.

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Sat Apr 11, 638629 1:15 am

This is VERY interesting! My mom never had any pregnancy loss but I have had 2 (+1 18 years ago...I was 18 when I had it.) I had 2 late last year. Mom was 17 when she had my oldest sister, no trouble. She got mild toxemia with my second oldest sister. With me she was told to never have any more kids. Would it be fair to say that the older us women get that has had mom's have pre-e that if we have our kids earlier we won't be as predisposed to getting pre-e?

Also...did any of you wait 2 or more years to have a baby and have pre-e return? If so, how long did you wait in between and how bad was your pre-e.

for faith

Postby for faith » Fri Apr 10, 638629 11:12 pm

Yes, mom had "toxima" with my younger sister (she was 25). She was hospitalized for about a week and has been on high blood pressure medication ever since (35 years ago). Interesting to hear everyone's answers.

jules2

Postby jules2 » Fri Apr 10, 638629 2:55 pm

No, my Mum had three pregnancies, all resulted in healthy babies born 2 weeks overdue with no problems. She was 40 by the time of the last one (me) but still no problems.

Jules

jmom08

Postby jmom08 » Fri Apr 10, 638629 10:50 am

My father remembers toxemia being mentioned with my mom, although my sister and I were both allowed to go to full term, so it must have been mild (she actually went past 41 weeks with me... I guess I am lucky to be here!).

I developed PE with my son at 34 weeks. When I had a preconception appt with my MFM this time around, we discussed increased risk of PE with maternal PE history.

southerngirl108

Postby southerngirl108 » Fri Apr 10, 638629 9:22 am

Great question! Neither my mom nor anyone in my family (mother's side or father's side) had any history of PE.

mellybute

Postby mellybute » Fri Apr 10, 638629 8:44 am

No, my mom had 3 girls with no PE or complications. My stepmom had severe PE with my half brother and she almost died and he almost died. So, I wonder if it could be some DNA from my father's side. My maternal grandmother had 12 children with no PE, but did have high blood pressure and diabetes later in life, lived to be 86.

My only fully biological sister (same mom & dad) who is 37 has had 2 children with no complications or PE and she wants one more before she turns 40.

I have another half sister on my dads side that has had one baby, no PE either.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”