what would you do?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
blythe

Re : what would you do?

Postby blythe » Wed Sep 07, 638631 10:51 am

Here is more good information from the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/recommendations.htm . Just a note - if you do get the flu, Tamiflu is Category C in pregnancy. I wish this weren't such a stressful issue and I hope everyone stays healthy!

brooklynsmom

Postby brooklynsmom » Thu May 14, 638629 11:48 pm

As recommended by my MFM, my OB, and my family Dr., I will be getting the H1N1 flu shot for both myself and my girls as soon as it becomes available. I just found out there will be a health clinic that offers them tomorrow morning, but I am very leery about getting it an a non-medical facility (it is being held at a school), and somewhere we have to stand in line with hundreds of people (w/ a 2 and 4 yr. old), to MAYBE get it if they don't run out first. We are just starting to see it a lot more in our area (central lower Michigan) and I will resort to a health clinic if we have to, but plan to wait a few weeks and just stay in more until I find out if our Dr. is really going to get it. They are being told they are getting it, so hopefully they do!

smariani

Postby smariani » Thu May 14, 638629 11:08 pm

I just got the seasonal flu shot and I would definitely get the H1N1 shot. I don't think the thimerisol is dangerous, or at least as potentially dangerous as getting the flu while pregnant.

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Thu May 14, 638629 8:22 pm

I just ended up getting the h1n1 shot at my doc's office yesterday as they had some in supply, and I didn't even get a sore arm, which I usually do from the flu shot. The h1n1 is made similar to the seasonal flu shot, so it really isn't any different from the seasonal in that the seasonal shot is slightly different every year as the flu strains vary from year to year. The good thing about getting flu shots before or while pregnant is that it protects the baby for its first 6 months of life or so (at least that is what I have read in a number of places).

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Mon May 04, 638629 6:10 pm

thanks you 2. Our health dept says it will be 6 to 7 weeks before they get any in. We have it BAD here where I live. My dad's g/f's granddaughter is on life support with the H1N1 and double pneumonia. She is not doing well. I don't worry about it for myself but for what the H1N1 can do the fetus when I get pregnant. I wonder if I should get the shot or go ahead and expose myself to it and get sick, if I do and get it over with.
Thanks for your input....I am certainly looking at peoples opinion and experience with both the injection and virus itsself.

tree
Forum Moderator

Postby tree » Mon May 04, 638629 3:58 pm

Delissa - I got both the seasonal and H1N1 shots this year, and I had no reaction other than a slightly sore arm from either. I have gotten headaches and fatigue (pretty minor) from flu shots in the past, but no reaction this year or last.

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Sun May 03, 638629 9:10 am

I never have. There are a few people that report feeling a little "off" after having it, but it is not the actual flu--it is just their body's initial response to the vaccine, and it seems for most of them it only lasts a day or so (about the same amount of time you would have achiness at the site of the injection.

atvlady

Postby atvlady » Sun May 03, 638629 8:42 am

Any of you get the shot and get ^sick^ from it?

alexa5

Postby alexa5 » Sun May 03, 638629 12:32 am

I would get the shot most likely because the statistics for pregnant women are much scarier than for the general population. Being not pregnant, I will most likely get the shot as well if enough become available. I will not do the flumist, though.

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Sat May 02, 638629 11:05 pm

Congratulations!!!!!!! And, yes, I will be getting the shot if it ever becomes available.......

Return to “Ask the Experienced”